Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A Topic we can all probably agree on...

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
A Topic we can all probably agree on...
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »
........That the folks at Westboro Baptist Church are dogmatic nutjobs. Just the LOGIC they use is crazy.
I heard where an appeals court overturned a lawsuit a Marine father won against these funeral protesters. Its just nuts. Also saw where Bill O'Reilly is helping the Marine dad pay the defense cost. Kudos to him. You know you are nuts when both HANNITY and COLMES think you are a screwball.  Old interview from a couple of years ago on H&C....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: A Topic we can all probably agree on...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »
So, he won on "Freedom of Speech"?  I haven't been following this since I heard about it a couple of years ago, I'm guessing before one of the parents decided to file a lawsuit against this person and his, basically, family only church.  I asked a few members of my family about this and if there could be a lawsuit filed against the guy, they all basically said that unless he isn't threatning to harm, basically nothing could be done to him, because of the Freedom of Speech.  And if someone decided to take matters in thier own hands, something that I would've probably done had it been my family member's funeral, that the preacher could file a lawsuit against the attacker, and would probably win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: A Topic we can all probably agree on...
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
So, he won on "Freedom of Speech"?  I haven't been following this since I heard about it a couple of years ago, I'm guessing before one of the parents decided to file a lawsuit against this person and his, basically, family only church.  I asked a few members of my family about this and if there could be a lawsuit filed against the guy, they all basically said that unless he isn't threatning to harm, basically nothing could be done to him, because of the Freedom of Speech.  And if someone decided to take matters in thier own hands, something that I would've probably done had it been my family member's funeral, that the preacher could file a lawsuit against the attacker, and would probably win.

Well seeing as how they were at the funeral with defaming signs and shouting nasty barbs, I am not sure why this isn't considered intentional emotional distress, disturbing the peace, defamation of character, slander, etc...The marine dad WON the lawsuit, its just that the appeals court overturned it on the freedom of speech card. Freedom of Speech is way misused. It is not a free for all. You lose your right to free speech when you adversely affect another human with it intentionally. Maybe one of our resident attorneys can weigh in. All of the legal people Ive seen interviewed about it say that the appeals judge was WAY out of bounds here on using Free Speech as a crutch for this screwballs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE