Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Scarbinsky's take on Coach Barbee....

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Scarbinsky's take on Coach Barbee....
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »
Auburn's Tony Barbee hurries out to hit the recruiting trail

It didn’t take long for Tony Barbee to demonstrate that Auburn basketball is going to be different with him in charge.

Not long after his introduction Thursday in the new arena, an Auburn fan from north Alabama wanted to help the new Auburn coach. The fan started to mention four Huntsville-area prospects worth checking out.

Barbee already knew every one of those names and said he was planning a trip to Huntsville.

For the next day.

Come Friday morning, Barbee was at Huntsville’s Lee High School so early, he was waiting for the school to open. He wanted to see Josh Langford, Class 5A state tournament MVP and one of the top remaining uncommitted small forwards in the class of 2010.

That would qualify as hitting the ground running. Barbee was nothing but positive as he said his first “War Eagle!” to the Auburn family.

Until he arrived, the outlook for the program’s immediate future was anything but, despite its bright and shiny new home.

During the search process, I talked to coach after coach about the Auburn job. Most of them had no interest in the job, but every single one of them offered the same conclusion.

The new coach would have his hands full because Jeff Lebo left the program in the same questionable shape it was mired in for much of his tenure.

There’s only one proven returning player in shooting guard Frankie Sullivan, the lone returning starter. Unless Barbee signs a floor leader this spring or one transfers in, there may be no more than one scholarship point guard on the entire roster next season.

And that six-man recruiting class Lebo signed last fall? It’s the perfect example of quantity over quality.

No one will mistake that class for Kentucky’s 2009 spring harvest of DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall and Eric Bledsoe. There’s a consensus among recruiters that two of Auburn’s signees can play in the SEC, two of them don’t appear to be SEC-caliber players and two may not make it into school because of academics.

Which may be a blessing.

If every player on the roster who could return did, and every signee also showed up, Barbee wouldn’t have a scholarship to give this spring.

And then, because there won’t be a single scholarship senior on his first Auburn roster, Barbee theoretically wouldn’t have a scholarship to give next year.

It’s a shocking case of roster mismanagement by the old coach. Barbee said he would meet with the current players individually and talk to the signees, too, and “hopefully . . . it will be an easy decision to retain our team and current recruits.”

It’ll be an easier decision to advise some of those players and recruits that they might have a more pro ductive future elsewhere, especially given some of the prospects that appear to be on Barbee’s immediate radar.

One big name to watch: Big Luke Cothron.

The 6-foot-8, 210-pound power forward is from Huntsville but played this season at Flora MacDonald Academy in North Carolina.

Rivals.com ranks him as the No. 33 overall prospect in the class of 2010, and as one of the top 10 uncommitted seniors.

Cothron has dropped his original commitment to North Carolina State and now is likely to choose from among Auburn, Alabama and Kentucky.

There’s something strange about that list.

When’s the last time Auburn and Kentucky recruited the same player and Auburn won? Korvotney Barber?

Barbee did warn John Calipari that he was coming after him. Looks like he meant it.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/03/scarbinsky_auburns_tony_barbee.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:45:01 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Scarbinsky's take on Coach Barbee....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »
No seniors, no scholarships to give? Lebo had a plan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:20:19 PM »
If every player on the roster who could return did, and every signee also showed up, Barbee wouldn’t have a scholarship to give this spring.

And then, because there won’t be a single scholarship senior on his first Auburn roster, Barbee theoretically wouldn’t have a scholarship to give next year.

It’s a shocking case of roster mismanagement by the old coach.
Wow. Just, wow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
by "plan", you mean...."blueprint", then yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »
by "plan", you mean...."blueprint", then yes.

What a fuckin' idiot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
Wow. Just, wow.
I had to read the article again because I was shocked!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »
It would have all come together next season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »
Yes....5 PG lineup, fast break mutha fuckas!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:58:50 PM »
We should have givin' him a chance to finish the blueprint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »
Yes....5 PG lineup, fast break mutha fuckas!!!
Throwin' up dem 3's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »
I am not sure at what point being involved becomes meddling but it seems like an AD should have a little better handle on this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:56:48 AM »
I am not sure at what point being involved becomes meddling but it seems like an AD should have a little better handle on this.

Agreed.  However, it's become clear that Lebo was a very good used car salesman attempting to sell ice to an eskimo, and Jacobs shelled out the money for a few years.   At least the move HAS finally happened. 

The scholarship situation is fucking remarkable.  I think you'd see that the smallest amount of posts from me come to this forum.  I'm suddenly, at least, intrigued by what we've got going here.   If I represent a similar fractional percentage of the AU fanbase, then the Barbee hire is already paying dividends.

Looking forward to checking out the new arena on A-Day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 01:16:22 PM »

No, no, no and NO!

Chizzad has already established that Jacobs' timing is perfect. Gradual improvement and all. Anyone who questions this or saw the trainwreck approaching years ago is simply being negative. Your glasses are turd colored, sir. Your cup is half full. You are a lovable stuffed donkey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 01:58:54 PM »
No, no, no and NO!

Chizzad has already established that Jacobs' timing is perfect. Gradual improvement and all. Anyone who questions this or saw the trainwreck approaching years ago is simply being negative. Your glasses are turd colored, sir. Your cup is half full. You are a lovable stuffed donkey.

I miss my donkey. 

That aside, I really am not sure how much is meddling and how much is not?  I have that constant struggle as a boss myself.  I hire people that I expect to do the job and usually that job involves thinking and figuring out how to work around problems.  Some problems which I already know the best answer to and some of them that I do not.  I guess at some point though in being ultimately responsible for not only the company's but also the individual's success you have to steer them onto the known best path.  This seems like what should have happened in this case. 
I don't know shit about being an AD but I gotta believe that I have semi constant updates on the student athletes in each sport that I am ultimately responsible for.  This is a fail in Jacob's column.  Whether it is because he let it get to this point by not knowing or by being hoodwinked by Lebo. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »
Lebo fucked himself from the start.  The exodus of players from his first year on was just mind boggling.  When he first came in, I had to trust that the guys that he ran off or just left on their own accord, were problems and unhappy etc.  Cleaning house was the right thing to do.  But, it just continued year after year after year.  I was never all that impressed with his style of play but no matter what style you run, you can win with athletes.  

As it's been stated, it only takes a couple of studs in basketball to turn a program around. I've always wondered where the program might be right now had 6'8" man-beast Marco Killingsworth stayed along with 6'9" Dewayne Curtis or all ACC guard, Tony Robinson along with quite a few others.  Indiana didn't seem to have a problem with Marco.  Ole Miss had a solid center in Curtis.  Robinson fit in quite nicely at FSU and I believe he's in the NBA now if I'm not mistaken.  If these guys stay, Auburn more than likely makes the NCAA's in the first year or two.  There's no telling what that might have done for this program.    
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »
I miss my donkey. 

That aside, I really am not sure how much is meddling and how much is not?  I have that constant struggle as a boss myself.  I hire people that I expect to do the job and usually that job involves thinking and figuring out how to work around problems.  Some problems which I already know the best answer to and some of them that I do not.  I guess at some point though in being ultimately responsible for not only the company's but also the individual's success you have to steer them onto the known best path.  This seems like what should have happened in this case. 
I don't know shit about being an AD but I gotta believe that I have semi constant updates on the student athletes in each sport that I am ultimately responsible for.  This is a fail in Jacob's column.  Whether it is because he let it get to this point by not knowing or by being hoodwinked by Lebo. 

Can't be that hoodwinked. 

Everybody knew it but Jacobs and a handful of others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »
Can't be that hoodwinked. 

Everybody knew it but Jacobs and a handful of others.
you didn't know either....if so, I'd like to see a post from you that stated that Lebo was placing Auburn in a hole by the lack of talent he was bringing in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »
Lebo phuked himself from the start.  The exodus of players from his first year on was just mind boggling.  When he first came in, I had to trust that the guys that he ran off or just left on their own accord, were problems and unhappy etc.  Cleaning house was the right thing to do.  But, it just continued year after year after year.  I was never all that impressed with his style of play but no matter what style you run, you can win with athletes.  

As it's been stated, it only takes a couple of studs in basketball to turn a program around. I've always wondered where the program might be right now had 6'8" man-beast Marco Killingsworth stayed along with 6'9" Dewayne Curtis or all ACC guard, Tony Robinson along with quite a few others.  Indiana didn't seem to have a problem with Marco.  Ole Miss had a solid center in Curtis.  Robinson fit in quite nicely at FSU and I believe he's in the NBA now if I'm not mistaken.  If these guys stay, Auburn more than likely makes the NCAA's in the first year or two.  There's no telling what that might have done for this program.    

You must be mistaken....those players would never go to Auburn because we have the worst facilities in North America (all local YMCA locations included). 

I was growing so tired of that "facilities" excuse.   Those Tennessee players would play for Bruce Pearl at American University of Beirut.  Same for Michigan State and Tom Izzo.  Facilities help, for sure, but being Izzo or Pearl instead of Lebo helps too.  Barbee has proven to be much more of a Pearl than a Lebo.  Add facilities to that, and I think he's going to get some players we're not used to getting.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »

Hey COOL!!!!  Where do I buy the tick.....nevermind.  Thanks for the heads up DENNIS, sheez.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 07:46:01 AM »
I got two words for ya......

Sleeper cell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions