Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn tailback Onterio McCalebb taking a run at durability

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Auburn tailback Onterio McCalebb taking a run at durability

AUBURN - Onterio McCalebb burst on the college football scene with 252 yards and generated plenty of excitement in his first two games, but not even the speedy running back could out run injuries and some of the intricacies of the Auburn playbook last season.

They conspired against him, but McCalebb is trying to get even this spring.

He's part of the mix for the starting running back job, and, at the very least, remains a classic change-of-pace runner to more powerful backs. He says he's bigger from the day he arrived around 160 pounds, and says he's just as fast. He also says he understands the playbook better -- and that's what Auburn is counting on.

Running fast from sideline to sideline won't cut it, say Auburn coaches, when just heading up field against the defense is the name of the game.

"Last spring, coaches were getting on me for not knowing the plays. Now, I'm at the top. I know everything, so I have to help other people out,'' McCalebb said.

McCalebb had Auburn fans buzzing after he opened his career with those big yards against Louisiana Tech and Mississippi State. But he hurt his ankle against in the fourth game and was banged around in other games as well. After going for those 252 yards in the first two games, McCalebb lasted for only 313 more the final 11 games.

The pounding had taken its toll, and that's why he says he's gaining weight. He says he's up to 175 pounds and 185 is his goal.

"I'm getting ready to be an every-down back,'' he said.

That means he needs to change his game, says running backs coach Curtis Luper.

"He still needs to learn how to play running back in this league,'' Luper said. "He's so fast that he wants to run east and west.  The emphasis for him this spring is to get him north and south.''

But running with a compass is only part of the issue.

"He was really good with the ball,'' said offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn. ``Where he had his breakdowns a lot of time was without the ball. That's what Coach Luper has been focusing on with him. But he's come a long way. He's really done a good job for us with his assignments when he does not have the football.''

McCalebb says he's doing better away from the field, too.

"When I first got here, I was a freshman and I wanted to party and stuff like that. Now I'm trying to become a leader,'' McCalebb said. "It's not about going out and partying. It's game time. I was away from football for a long time. I don't like that. I like being in the game. I wish football was year-around.''

Fellow running back Mario Fannin says he's seen the work McCalebb had done in the weight room in effort to ward off the injury bug.

"He's definitely more ripped,'' Fannin said. "He's getting bigger.

"He's  doing everything he can to stay healthy, That's what I admire about him - he's a small guy, but he has the heart of a big guy, and that's something you have to have in the SEC.

"Coaches understand he has the heart of a lion, and that's why I commend him so much.''

Luper says 10 more pounds between now and the start of the season could increase McCalebb durability. McCalebb's stats scream for it. Injuries slowed him so much last season he gained less than 25 yards in six games, and didn't play in two others.

"For him, it's his health,'' Luper said. "If he's healthy, he can help us. If he's not, he's a detriment to us offense.''

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/04/auburn_tailback_onterio_mccale.html

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Auburn tailback Onterio McCalebb taking a run at durability
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:33:05 AM »
"He still needs to learn how to play running back in this league,'' Luper said. "He's so fast that he wants to run east and west.  The emphasis for him this spring is to get him north and south.''

and not out of bounds
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »
I sneezed during one of his runs lastyear and he lost 4 yards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:52:04 AM »
I sneezed during one of his runs lastyear and he lost 4 yards.
Why the white man always gotta' bring up Rocky Marciano?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
Why the white man always gotta' bring up Rocky Marciano?

He beat Joe Louis's ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »
He beat Joe Louis's ass.
Joe Louis was 172 years old when they fought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
Joe Louis was 172 years old when they fought.

Just tsate the soup.  What do you know from funny, ya bastard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."