Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ding Dong, the witch is dead

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Ding Dong, the witch is dead
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Mike Anderson or Tony Barbee are on my wish list.
Chuck "Rifleman" Person....reasons why front page.

www.tigersx.com
Yes & Yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »
Yes & Yes.
These are the only three candidates I've seen mentioned in blogs, etc.

Any of them would be awesome hires, IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 07:04:35 AM »
Auburn needs a coach who made a name for himself on the SEC courts as a player and understands SEC basketball;  someone who was an impact player for one of the most storied programs in NCAA history and understands the fan culture.

His name is John Pelphrey.

Please, I beg you...hire John Pelphrey so I can take off the  :bag:.

You will keep Pelphrey and like it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 10:29:53 AM »
http://www.trackemtigers.com/2010/3/15/1372840/whos-on-deck

UTEP coach Tony Barbee is expected to be a prime target of Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs

Friday's firing of Auburn basketball coach Jeff Lebo barely made headlines across the world of college basketball. And that perhaps sums up best while it was inevitable that Auburn was going to make a change. Kudos to athletic director Jay Jacobs for not making Lebo sweat out the weekend and listen to rampant speculation about his future. He's one of the finest individuals to ever represent Auburn and Jacobs treated him that way.

Now the attention turns to the coaching search. This is unquestionably the most important non-football hire in the history of the Auburn Athletic Department. There are 92 million reasons why Jacobs must get this one right. He threaded the needle with Gene Chizik and will need to be just as adept this time around. Basketball success at Auburn has been about as elusive as bingo night at Victoryland.

So who tops the list?  Listen to fans and it's simple: Write a fat check today and hire Missouri's Mike Anderson. If it were only that easy. Many Auburn fans still view Anderson as the one who got away back in 2004.

The former UAB coach was a fan favorite for the job six years ago before crossing wires with Auburn's former president and athletic department officials. Depending on who you talk with, the chances of Anderson listening to University officials again range from slim to none. You'll remember he spurned a lucrative offer from Georgia last year, instead signing a seven-year contract extension at Missouri. Even with those odds, look for Jacobs to take one more swing at the Birmingham native.

Here are some other names being prominently thrown around in Auburn circles...

Chuck Person - The former Auburn legend and current Los Angeles Lakers assistant is a popular choice among former players. His lack of head coaching experience and no college degree may be too much to overcome.

Sam Mitchell - The 2007 NBA Coach of the Year for the Toronto Raptors and Columbus, Georgia native knows the area well and is said to be interested in the job. He spent 11 seasons playing in the NBA and at one point was traded from the Timberwolves to the Pacers for Chuck Person. Small world.

Tony Barbee - The UTEP head coach is getting a lot of ink in recent days in connection with the Auburn job. His Miners lost to Houston in the Conference USA Championship Game Saturday, but is still heading to the Big Dance with a 25-6 regular season record. A John Calipari disciple, Barbee has no ties to the Deep South and that could be a liability. However, he's credited with being one of the nation's top recruiters.

Chris Mooney - Something of a long shot, the Richmond Spider head coach led his team to a 26-8 regular season record and lost to Temple in the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship game yesterday. A Princeton graduate, Mooney is viewed as one of the top young coaches in America. However, his lack of ties to the South may be a knockout.

Chris Collins - The son of NBA coach Doug Collins, the younger Collins serves as Mike Krzyzewski's top assistant at Duke. A four year player at Duke, Collins was team captain his senior year and was named second team All-ACC. Prior to returning to Durham in 2000, he served three years as an assistant at Seton Hall. Lack of head coaching experience could again be a factor.

Travis Ford - The former Kentucky star and current Oklahoma State head coach is widely regarded as one of the top young coaches in America. After turning around the UMass program in 2007, Ford left for Stillwater, where he's won more than 20 games in each of his first two seasons.

Jacobs has set no timetable for when a replacement will be hired. Obviously, if he's going to interview candidates who are in the NCAA Tournament, it could be late March or early April before someone's in place. The list is sure to grow bigger in the coming days. We'll keep you updated.

Hadn't heard Sam Mitchell's name thrown out there til now, but that would be a slam dunk hire for sure.

He's #1 on my wishlist as of now.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:39:39 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »

Hadn't heard Sam Mitchell's name thrown out there til now, but that would be a slam dunk hire for sure.

You need to start reading the front page.

http://www.tigersx.com/basketball/au-hoops-several-names-emerge-as-top-candidates/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:16:57 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 02:12:02 PM »

Ok what is the deal?  Is he wearing a boutonniere or an easy button?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
Ok what is the deal?  Is he wearing a boutonniere or an easy button?

He's showin his skreet kred.  Dude's a Blood.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
He's showin his skreet kred.  Dude's a Blood.

He's got my vote then.  Gotta think we would finally get physical in the paint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
He's got my vote then.  Gotta think we would finally get physical in the paint.

Throwin 'bows and droppin hos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Aubie16

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »

Anyways...My top two are:
1. Scott Drew
2. Tony Barbee

:we:

I am in a great mood today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010