Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Will Yall Let Us Have Dyer?

boartitz

Will Yall Let Us Have Dyer?
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:14:24 PM »
We really need him.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/365602-arkansas-razorback-football-spring-practice-preview-running-backs

The Arkansas Razorbacks' spring practices are creeping up and are officially set to begin Tuesday, Mar. 30. This is a first part in a series of articles over the following days leading up to Mar. 30, highlighting position battles to watch in the spring.

It is by now well known that the Razorbacks will be without starting quarterback Ryan Mallett because he broke a bone in his left foot, but he will be on the sidelines, and the Razorbacks have a long list of things to accomplish in what many believe is the most important spring of Bobby Petrino's tenure at Arkansas.

The Razorbacks currently are residing in nearly every early preseason top 25 poll, and in most cases, are appearing in the top 15 teams in the nation. With higher expectations that the team wishes to meet comes the need for improvement in a number of areas.

Among the most important areas the Razorbacks look to improve on for the 2010 season is the running game, and Arkansas has plenty of talent to work with in the backfield.

Just days ago, Petrino and a handful of players meet with the media to discuss the spring, and the 2010 season ahead. Among those discussions were plans for the running game and the use of the pistol formation in the running game (Petrino and Arkansas call this formation "shot" and they call shotgun "gun").

Arkansas hired new offensive line coach Chris Klenakis from Nevada during this offseason. Coach K is widely seen as an authority on the pistol formation; in it's implementation at Nevada, they led the nation in rushing in 2009. Nevada also produced an NCAA first three 1,000 yard rushers in a single season in 2009.

In the media conference, Petrino addressed the release that day of the pre-spring depth chart at the running back position that shows star sophomore Ronnie Wingo listed at the top of the list and veteran junior Dennis Johnson at the bottom of the four man list.

In a nutshell, his response was that he feels good about all four of the running backs on the depth chart and that it should be an exciting and competitive spring for the running backs.

So that everyone can be better acquainted with the talented backfield at Arkansas that Petrino and Coach K have to work with this spring, let's take a look at each RB and what each brings to the field.

Each running back will appear in the order they appeared on the latest depth chart.

Ronnie Wingo Jr. (So., 6'3", 227lb)

Ronnie Wingo came to Arkansas as one of the focal points of the 2009 recruiting class. He fits the mold of the coveted "big back" that Petrino likes so much and had success with at Louisville in Michael Bush.

In 2009, Wingo did not disappoint, as he improved every week and helped the Razorbacks in their running back by committee approach.

Just days ago, the Razorbacks did their testing out, and Wingo is one of two RBs to run a sub 4.4 (4.36) forty. He did so while still having added size in the weight room over the offseason.

2009 Stats

49 Carries, 319 Yards, 6.5ypc, 3 TD

5 Receptions, 99 Yards, 19.8ypr, 1 TD

Knile Davis(So., 6'0", 216lb)

Next on the depth chart is Knile Davis. Davis also was a highly touted running back in the 2009 recruiting class along with Wingo.

Davis enrolled early at Arkansas, but then suffered a death in the family and an injury prior to the fall. Knile showed his character and how great of a football player he is going to be at Arkansas by fighting through his struggles and getting back on the football field.

In 2009, Davis received limited carries, but he made an impact on special teams and really showed strong improvement over the 2009 season as a true freshman. For many fans, his running style brought back memories of Arkansas' great running backs of the past with his blend of size, speed, stiff arms, and aggression.

He also was timed at a remarkable sub-4.4 (4.37) forty time and was one of six offensive players to bench 400+ pounds (something usually reserved for offensive lineman).

2009 Stats

33 Carries, 163 Yards, 4.9ypc, 4 TD

Broderick Green (Jr., 6'2", 248lb)

Broderick Green transferred to Arkansas in 2009 from USC, and in his first season, led the Razorbacks in rushing after senior Michael Smith was lost for the season with a hamstring injury.

Green caused many fans and coaches angst early in the season when he was tackled easily or with first contact. Arkansas coaches worked hard with Green however, and as the season wore on he began to run downhill and to use the 250 lbs frame that he was blessed with.

In 2010 Green will likely continue to be Arkansas' goal line and short yardage situation back, but he proved late in 2009 that he can be an every-down back as well.

This spring, Green will need to show that he can continue to improve, and that he can keep up with the sophomore sensations Wingo and Davis and their blazing speed.

2009 Stats

104 Carries, 442 Yards, 4.3ypc, 11 TD

8 Receptions, 104 Yards, 13ypr, 1 TD

Dennis Johnson (Jr., 5'9", 213lb)

Last on the depth chart, but certainly not least, is junior veteran Dennis Johnson.

Over his career, Johnson has had to deal with nagging injuries, which Petrino said in his statement that DJ needs to get better at dealing with.

However, Johnson has also show to be a big game producing running back. He has run for his most yards over the past two seasons over teams the likes of Florida and LSU. And he has done so with a combination of his 4.33 speed and just literally running over players.

Johnson is the smallest back at Arkansas in stature, but he is one big guy and tough to bring down. The rumor is that because he always feels he is dealing with nagging injuries that his practice habits are lesser than his competition and why he is last on the depth chart.

If Johnson can have a breakout season on the practice fields, he could easily climb to the top of the depth chart.

Johnson also handles kickoff returns, where he already holds the Arkansas kickoff returns yardage record, and is seen as one of the most dangerous return men in the SEC.

2009 Stats

57 Carries, 342 Yards, 6ypc, 0 TD

10 Receptions, 72 Yards, 7.2ypr, 0 TD

These four running backs will be a primary focus at Arkansas' spring practices and a key component to a successful 2010 season for the Razorbacks.

If Klenakis can get out of these talented RBs some of the magic he was able to produce at Nevada, SEC opponents and national opponents beware. A running game to complement Ryan Mallett and the SEC's No. 1 passing game will spell big trouble for Arkansas' opposition in 2010.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Will Yall Let Us Have Dyer?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
Nope....sorry.  I guess y'all are just gonna have to suffer until y'all get some big backs with speed.  Oh yeah, good luck on that BB gun package.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
I'll keep it simple........NO!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jesus

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:12:24 AM »
Fine.  We really don't need him.  He's no Fred Talley.

:bc:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Stir Good!  Puppy on bottom.

jmar

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »
Fred Talley runnin' a fruneral home in Rome, Georgia. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:57:22 AM »
That settles it.  Arkansas is great at runningback...because Bobby Petrino said so.   

Arkansas Runningback chart
                                        :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 02:15:46 PM »
Dyer's better than any running back Arkansas has.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Token

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »
Arkansas 4  --  243 car  1266 yds  5.2 avg  18 tds /  23 rec  275 yds  11.9 avg  2 tds
Mark Ingram  --  271 car  1658 yds  6.1 avg  17 td /  32 rec  334 yds  10.4 avg  3 td

Mark Ingram > runningbacks combined at Arkansas

Michael Dyer as a senior in highschool is better than any running back currently enrolled at Arkansas.  The only back with SEC talent is Wingo Jr, and he is more of a 3rd down back than a featured back. 

Keep passing the ball, Bobby. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:08:33 PM »
Arkansas 4  --  243 car  1266 yds  5.2 avg  18 tds /  23 rec  275 yds  11.9 avg  2 tds
Mark Ingram  --  271 car  1658 yds  6.1 avg  17 td /  32 rec  334 yds  10.4 avg  3 td

That is so last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
Dyer's better than any running back Arkansas has.

Dyer may or may not be a great running back, but we had the same backs last year and did alright on offense. I'd be more concerned if he was a great cornerback that got away.   I mean don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him playing for the hogs, but it's not like the coach can make them go to your school.  Hell, you're not even supposed to buy them cars anymore (unless of course you're at 'bama).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
     Dyer may or may not be a great running back, but we had the same backs last year and did alright on offense. I'd be more concerned if he was a great cornerback that got away.   I mean don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him playing for the hogs, but it's not like the coach can make them go to your school.  Hell, you're not even supposed to buy them cars anymore (unless of course you're at 'bama).
Nice Zinger at the end.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Token

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:48:56 PM »
  Hell, you're not even supposed to buy them cars anymore (unless of course you're at 'bama).

Lease. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
We really need him.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/365602-arkansas-razorback-football-spring-practice-preview-running-backs
You do realize that this thread is going to come back and haunt you by midseason, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »

The Razorbacks currently are residing in nearly every early preseason top 25 poll, and in most cases, are appearing in the top 15 teams in the nation. With higher expectations that the team wishes to meet comes the need for improvement in a number of areas.

Arky,

I would worry about this....

Sincerely,

Houston Nutt and the 2009 Ole Miss Football Team
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
Kind of sounds like pre-season 2009 when everybody was saying Arky should be much improved, competing for the SEC West, etc. Until they get some weapons other than Mallett, and until they can find a defense under Petrino, they are going to be the whipping boy of the SEC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »
      We definitely need to improve on defense, that's why I said I'd be more concerned if Dyer was a cornerback.  But I do think we improved last year over 2008, and we will probably be better still this year.  Obviously we had a bad week at 'bama last year, but overall I don't think whipping boy is accurate.  We were 8-5 and gave Florida, LSU, and Georgia all they wanted in tough losses. Most would say we got screwed by the zebras in two of those.
     Again, I'd love to have the kid, but there's only so much you can do if a kid wants to get away from home, ask Blake Eddins.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »
Blake is not a good example.  He got a full ride at Arkansas an was and invited walk on at AU but I get your point.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:37:00 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

boartitz

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 08:52:18 PM »
You do realize that this thread is going to come back and haunt you by midseason, right?
No. Never even crossed my mind. It's gonna be a different ballgame from us this year. Third time's a charm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
No. Never even crossed my mind. It's gonna be a different ballgame from us this year. Third time's a charm.
Funny, that's what you guys say every year. This "puppy waiting to be kicked" mentality is why you guys put up with Nutt for so long. It's almost like Arkansas fans are inside their own little football bubble.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:56:46 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »
Funny, that's what you guys say every year. This "puppy waiting to be kicked" mentality is why you guys put up with Nutt for so long. It's almost like Arkansas fans are inside their own little football bubble.

Wait and see approach be damned. Lets make bold predictions on no basis and let it ride.  They do know they aren't one of the Big 6 in the SEC right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE