Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Who Do You Want As New Basketball HC?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Who Do You Want As New Basketball HC?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »
:jaw:
Don't make me go all Kaos on you...

How many coaches do you know of that have brought four different teams to the NCAA tournament?

Could be five, if he comes to Auburn.

He coached the Dream Team in the 2000 Olympics.

He's kind of a big deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »
No matter the truth, the happiest people about Auburn's coaching search this week are the coaches of Butler, Xavier and Clemson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
How many coaches do you know of that have brought four different teams to the NCAA tournament?

He's kind of a big deal.
I don't doubt his coaching ability, there is no way I look at him as a coaching legend though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »

He's kind of a big deal.

If we hire Tubby, that would be HUGE - on an epic scale.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »

You're basically saying, "I'm going to bitch, come hell or high water."

As mentioned in this thread Tony Barbee is frequently cited as the best coach in the NCAA right now.

How can that not excite you as a very real possibility for Auburn's HC? He's a young up-and-comer who has proven himself as a head coach. He seems to fit your criteria above perfectly.

Sam Mitchell does nothing for you? The 2007 NBA coach of the year? At Auburn?

There are some very real possibilities that could be amazing hires. We may not get the guys mentioned above, but several others on that list will be a real improvement over Lebo, especially in terms of meeting the criteria you laid out.

I've concluded that you're nothing but a shrieking fucking loon.  You latched on to one sentence, ignored the remainder that put it into context and posted your ignorant picture.

Congrats. You win. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »
If we hire Tubby, that would be HUGE - on an epic scale.

Surprisingly, I think you're off base. 

Tubby Smith ten years ago, yes.  Tubby today -- sliding down the pole-- not so much. 

Better than Lebo?  Well, yeah.  A loaf of bread is a better hire than Lebo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 12:21:58 PM »
You latched on to one sentence, ignored the remainder that put it into context
I know someone else who does that.

Except in this case, I did not at all ignore the context. I referenced your criteria specifically.

I'm asking you who the hell would it take to please you?

Obviously Tubby Smith is not enough either.

You say yourself that Auburn's not in a position to hire an A-lister. There are some A-listers in this list of reasonably realistic options. Even based on the remainder of your post that you claim I ignored.

You're harder to please than Jenna Jameson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
I know someone else who does that.

Except in this case, I did not at all ignore the context. I referenced your criteria specifically.

I'm asking you who the hell would it take to please you?

Obviously Tubby Smith is not enough either.

You say yourself that Auburn's not in a position to hire an A-lister. There are some A-listers in this list of reasonably realistic options. Even based on the remainder of your post that you claim I ignored.

You're harder to please than Jenna Jameson.

Until I have a reason to be excited about AU basketball I guess I won't be.  I thought Lebo would be a good fit, but he just never got off his ass.

And no, I wouldn't be stoked about hiring Tubby Smith. 

We're like a small Methodist church right now.  We only get preachers on the way up or the way down.  Sometimes we get a good one riding out his last days and maybe Tubby's that guy.  Sometimes we get a rising preacher who's destined for bigger things.  Either way, what we need right now is somebody to unify the congregation and build the base. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »
CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd, citing an unnamed source, wrote this morning that Auburn is "close to hiring" Smith, though he added, "It could be nothing."

Close to hiring... but it could be nothing.

Does this guy post on the X??
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
Close to hiring... but it could be nothing.

Does this guy post on the X??

Prowler - is that you secretly writing on CBSsportsline?  Kidding man....

Kaos - name me one candidate better than Tubby Smith WILLING to come to Auburn. Name me one with a bigger track record - again - WILLING to come to Auburn. He has a NC. He has been to the dance more times than we have as a school. Minnesota was more dismal than us and they are dancing. Just saying - who better? He would give us instant credibility. Charles would be happy - which makes other good things happen. If nothing else, he can restore order and at least get us up to par. Thats something Lebo couldnt do on his best day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
Prowler - is that you secretly writing on CBSsportsline?  Kidding man....

Kaos - name me one candidate better than Tubby Smith WILLING to come to Auburn. Name me one with a bigger track record - again - WILLING to come to Auburn. He has a NC. He has been to the dance more times than we have as a school. Minnesota was more dismal than us and they are dancing. Just saying - who better? He would give us instant credibility. Charles would be happy - which makes other good things happen. If nothing else, he can restore order and at least get us up to par. Thats something Lebo couldnt do on his best day.

A loaf of bread is better than Lebo.  Said it for many years now. 

I have no idea who would be willing to come to AU.  Smith knows the makeup of the SEC. He knows what he's up against if he comes.  He's a bigger and better hire than the guy Bama picked up last year when they whacked Gottfried.

I'd be happier with Smith than I was with Chizik.  Not ecstatic because he sort of faded at Kentucky (and you or I could win at KY), but from a PR standpoint it would be a high profile shot, yeah. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »

I have no idea who would be willing to come to AU.  Smith knows the makeup of the SEC. He knows what he's up against if he comes.  He's a bigger and better hire than the guy Bama picked up last year when they whacked Gottfried.

I'd be happier with Smith than I was with Chizik.  Not ecstatic because he sort of faded at Kentucky (and you or I could win at KY), but from a PR standpoint it would be a high profile shot, yeah. 

Exactly - it would be a shot in the arm. Remember - he won a NC at Kentucky.  Also - Kentucky is as high profile in Basketball as ND and Texas are in Football. Thats a pressure cooker of a job. Gillespie also failed but is a very good coach. That place just requires the right kind of coach (Pitino, Calipari). Tubby had UGA rolling and Kentucky as well before the pressure set in of high expectations. I just think we actually need a decent coach - but moreso we need a splash. I think only Person or Smith would satisfy BOTH criteria. And like I said - Charles would be ecstatic. We need no more BAD PR from him or anyone else in the media.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
And like I said - Charles would be ecstatic. We need no more BAD PR from him or anyone else in the media.
We're talking about Charles from Reeltown, right?

:)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »
So anyway, it appears that Tubby will either come to Auburn or Oregon.

They've had more recent success than we have (who hasn't), but not by much. Ellis got us to three NCAA tournaments since '98. Oregon's current coach got them there five times in the same period. Three first rounds, and two Elite 8s for Kent, vs. Two Sweet 16's and a second round for Ellis.

However, we have the brand new arena, that's supposed to be one of the nicest in the country, and certainly in the SEC. He apparently likes coaching in the SEC, or at least the south. He's got some young talent coming in, as this upcoming class is supposed to be far and away the best that Lebo had anything to do with.

I like our odds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »
They're talking about it during the Minnesota Xavier game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »
My skreets tell me Tubby is coming to Auburn.

Damn Chad you must have the same skreets as me...son of a bit...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
So anyway, it appears that Tubby will either come to Auburn or Oregon.

They've had more recent success than we have (who hasn't), but not by much. Ellis got us to three NCAA tournaments since '98. Oregon's current coach got them there five times in the same period. Three first rounds, and two Elite 8s for Kent, vs. Two Sweet 16's and a second round for Ellis.

However, we have the brand new arena, that's supposed to be one of the nicest in the country, and certainly in the SEC. He apparently likes coaching in the SEC, or at least the south. He's got some young talent coming in, as this upcoming class is supposed to be far and away the best that Lebo had anything to do with.

I like our odds.

I thought they were building a new arena too though?  Plus...Nike.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »
I thought they were building a new arena too though?  Plus...Nike.
This is true. I admit to not knowing shit about Oregon athletics.

Apparently theirs is going to be even nicer than ours.

Statewide criticism

The projected construction cost of $200 million will make it the most expensive on campus basketball arena in the United States, and financing has been secured through state-backed 30-year bonds.[3] The university has been criticized for overstating the income estimates.

Regardless,  CBS kept mentioning Tubby being in the running for the Auburn job specifically. They said that he "also at one point was in the running for the Oregon job" as if that ship has sailed.

I dunno, but his team's out of the tournament now, so it could get exciting here soon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:38:35 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
I think Oregon will have a 200 million dollar Arena to open next season.

Yahoo Sports is now reporting that Tubby is saying that he will stay put at Minnesota.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ga-tubby031910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Of course, he said this at UGA too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »

So....basically you're just posting to state that you don't care who the coach is, that you don't know jack shit and that you're just posting to post.  Some people aren't happy when they're happy and you're one of those people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs