Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Transfers Begin

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Transfers Begin
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »
...which is good.

But Jalen Steele's the first to go, which is bad. Kemp Jr. was our stud, but Steele and Alen Payne were the only two other players worth a damn from this incoming class.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/apr/01/steele-asks-for-release-from-auburn/

Fulton High School senior and Class AA Mr. Basketball Jalen Steele has asked to be released from his national letter of intent with Auburn.

His release, however, was still pending as of Thursday.

Steele, a 6-foot-3 shooting guard who averaged 24 points per game this past season, committed to the Tigers and former coach Jeff Lebo in September and signed in November.

Lebo was fired March 12 after four losing seasons in six years. Tony Barbee left UTEP to take over at Auburn some 12 days later.

Barbee met with Steele and Fulton coach Jody Wright on Monday.

"I think that without a doubt Coach Barbee is going to be successful at Auburn, but I just don't know that Jalen felt as comfortable with the situation at Auburn as he did," said Wright. "He may end back up at Auburn. But, at this point, he wanted to ask for his release to see what else is out there."

Southern Cal was a player for Steele at the time of his commitment to Auburn. He also had offers from Marshall and Western Kentucky among others before signing with the Tigers.

A number of schools such as UCLA, Cincinnati, Florida, Miami, Alabama and Georgia called Wright about Steele in the first few days following Lebo's ouster.

Steele can't be contacted by college coaches because of the current NCAA recruiting dead period.

Moreover, he's still considered an Auburn signee as he has yet to be released from his letter of intent. If he did go on a visit, it would be unofficially, and he could not be contacted by coaches during the visit.

Wright said Steele was not exactly looking forward to opening his recruitment, as he was glad to have put an end to the process in the fall.

Steele played in a motion offense at Fulton for four years. Barbee runs the dribble-drive offense he learned at Memphis as an assistant to John Calipari, who's now at Kentucky.

Wright said Barbee's offense had little to do with Steele's decision.

"Every coach has a different direction," said Wright. " Calipari's direction is different than (Vanderbilt coach) Kevin Stallings' direction. Every coach is different on how they're going to go about that. So I think the way that Coach Barbee is going to go about it, he's going to be successful.

"But that's why you have different types of churches. People want different things. You have different schools, because kids want different things. I don't know that Jalen felt that Auburn, right now, was as good a fit for him as it was."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
Re: Transfers Begin
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »
This could be good.  We need size and we also need some roster room also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:45:15 PM »
This could be good.  We need size and we also need some roster room also.
I also second that also.  :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Aubie16

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »
This is not good. Jalen Steele was the only SEC ready player we signed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »

Well.......Bye
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:18:59 AM »
Barbee needs the Roster Room, and I'd sure like to see what he can muster up from the prep schools and jr colleges than have what Lebo Had.  I don't care if we have to clean the slate and start over from scratch.  Success isn't going to happen overnight with a new coach and a new arena.  Lebo not recruiting the past few years has left our program in shambles.  It'll probably be 3 yrs to field a good NCAA tourney team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
Barbee needs the Roster Room, and I'd sure like to see what he can muster up from the prep schools and jr colleges than have what Lebo Had.  I don't care if we have to clean the slate and start over from scratch.  Success isn't going to happen overnight with a new coach and a new arena.  Lebo not recruiting the past few years has left our program in shambles.  It'll probably be 3 yrs to field a good NCAA tourney team.

This. ^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
How does the kid look from an eligibility standpoint?  It was suggested that some kids would be lost because they never had a shot in the dark to qualify.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »
Hogwash.

If we're not at least in the Final Four a year from now, he should be shown the door.

:sarcasm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
Hogwash.

If we're not at least in the Final Four a year from now, he should be shown the door.

:sarcasm:
We need that in the blueprint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
By the way, Anthony Salter's the other player from this class who requested a release.

Him leaving's probably a good thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
That will open up two scholarships for Coach Barbee to add some studs to our program.

Possibly first up:

Josh Langford F 6'6" 210 Hunstville, Ala.

Offers:
Auburn
West Virginia
Marquette
Louisville
Georgetown
UNLV
SPuat
Chattanooga
Georgia
Illinois

Receiving Interest:
UAB
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 03:43:24 PM »
We didn't want these kids anyway.  We're rolling 5 deep at every position...even though you can't have that many on the team...doesn't matter...we have Mickey D's AA kids knocking down our door for a chance to play.

5 deep I tell ya'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
We didn't want these kids anyway.  We're rolling 5 deep at every position...even though you can't have that many on the team...doesn't matter...we have Mickey D's AA kids knocking down our door for a chance to play.

5 deep I tell ya'

I love Arkansas and would do anything to play there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
I love Arkansas and would do anything to play there.

I love that helmet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."