• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Barbee gets warm A-Day welcome
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »
http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/04/barbee_gets_warm_a-day_welcome.html

Barbee gets warm A-Day welcome
By Kevin Scarbinsky -- The Birmingham News
April 17, 2010, 4:32PM

Auburn Arena A-Day.jpgFans tour the new Auburn Arena on A-Day. (Birmingham News / Frank Couch)AUBURN -- New basketball coach Tony Barbee wore a big smile when he stopped in the press box at halftime of Auburn's A-Day game Saturday, and with good reason.

He'd received a loud ovation from the Jordan-Hare Stadium crowd when he was introduced during the first quarter. Football coach Gene Chizik had run over to shake Barbee's hand and give him a hug.

I asked Barbee if he'd ever seen 60,000 people at a football scrimmage before.

``Not at a scrimmage,'' he said, and then he put football and basketball in perspective. ``I only need 10.''

A game-day crowd of 10,000 in the new Auburn Arena might force someone to call the fire marshal. The new arena was open to the public before and after the football game Saturday, and Auburn officials estimated that more than 30,000 people toured the building.

Barbee's still on a whirlwind tour a month into his new job. On Friday alone, the first day of the current contact period, he said he spent time on the recruiting trail in Virginia, North Carolina and Atlanta, ``and by the time I got to Atlanta, Virginia felt like three weeks ago.''

He didn't name names -- and can't by NCAA rule -- but it should be noted that one Auburn target, Big Luke Cothron, played at a prep school in North Carolina.

Barbee hasn't signed anyone yet but said he will, and he reminded us that there's still a month left in the spring signing period.

In other news, he said he was excited about ``the continuity'' of bringing in his entire staff of assistant coaches from UTEP, including Milt Wagner.

Did Wagner tell Barbee that he played on the Louisville team that beat Auburn in the 1986 Elite Eight?

``Oh, yeah,'' Barbee said. ``He tells everyone.''
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Barbee gets warm A-Day welcome
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
I'm just happy to have some excitement surrounding this program and someone who is getting off his ass and trying to do SOMETHING...ANYTHING!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
I'm just happy to have some excitement surrounding this program and someone who is getting off his ass and trying to do SOMETHING...ANYTHING!!!
I've heard that Coach Barbee has done more in recruiting this month, than what Coach Lebo has in the past couple years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »
I've heard that Coach Barbee has done more in recruiting this month, than what Coach Lebo has in the past couple years.
On MainSkreet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.