Proposed Rule Changes for 2008

Ogre

Proposed Rule Changes for 2008
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »
College football: Proposed rule changes focus on player safety

Thursday,  February 14, 2008 3:28 AM
By Tim May

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

If NCAA football rule makers have their way, horse-collar tackles will be outlawed next season, just like in the NFL, and the game clock will be stopped only briefly when a ball carrier goes out of bounds.

Those changes, along with going to a 40/25-second play clock, were among several proposals yesterday by the NCAA football rules committee. The changes must be approved by the playing rules oversight panel in a month or so before taking effect.

The aim of several changes, the NCAA said in a release, is to enhance player safety. Along with banning the use of the horse-collar tackle, in which a ball carrier is pulled down by the back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, intentional helmet-to-helmet contact will be penalized more often, and the chop block will be clarified.

"Specifically, the committee is addressing players that use the crown of their helmet and players that target defenseless opponents when making contact above the shoulders," committee member Rogers Redding, coordinator of officials for the Southeastern Conference, said in the release

The clock no longer would be stopped until the next snap by a ball carrier running out of bounds, except in the last two minutes of each half. Otherwise, the game clock will be stopped only until the referee signals the ball is ready for play.

In the 40/25 rule, a 40- second countdown will begin as soon as the previous play ends. If the ball is signaled ready before 15 seconds have passed, a 25-second clock will start. If it takes more than 15 seconds to spot the ball, what remains on the 40-second clock will hold sway.

In other proposed changes:

- If a coach challenges a call and the challenge is upheld, he will be granted a second challenge.

- A fumble that leads to an immediate recovery may be reviewed by the replay official.

- When a kickoff goes out of bounds, the receiving team can accept the ball at its 40-yard line instead of the 35.

- The incidental face-mask foul of 5 yards will be removed. All face-mask fouls will be 15-yard penalties.

- There will be a yardage penalty for sideline control violations in which team members don't stay within their designated zone in the bench area.

Thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau

• Judicial Chair
  • On a gravy train with biscuit wheels.
Re: Proposed Rule Changes for 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:32:21 AM »
I disagree with eliminating the incidental face mask.  Some of those simply don't warrant a 15 yard penalty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Life can really kick your ass.  I only have a vague recollection of when it wasn't kickin' mine.

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:47:55 AM »
I disagree with eliminating the incidental face mask.  Some of those simply don't warrant a 15 yard penalty.

From what I've read, the line of thinking is that they will let most of those incidentals slide versus assessing the 15 yarder.  It just leaves more room for an official to use his judgement, which in my opinion is not a good thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »
Don't like the idea of the clock starting even if you got out of bounds. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
They continue to try and shorten the game by changing the clock rules.  That wouldn't be too bad, unless they follow the NFL example, and take the opportunity to add more commercials.  There are so many commercials in an NFL game now that I just can't watch it anymore.  The end for me came when they started going to a commercial after kickoffs.  Hopefully they won't ruin the college game the same way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »
Yes, let's please clarify the chop block so it can be called the Auburn rule for 2008. :taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »
Why not outlaw that low class icing the kicker timeout just before the ball leaves the snappers hand. Fuck Urban Myer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »
Why not outlaw that low class icing the kicker timeout just before the ball leaves the snappers hand. Fuck Urban Myer.
I thought they would include that in the new rules?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 06:45:51 AM »
The no stoppage for out of bounds is ok with me, but the play clock seems a little goofy.  The facemask penalty change is bad.  If its a judgement call, how long do you give it until a game is lost because of it.  Third and goal from the nine and then damn, a fifteen yard facemask (definately not a flagrant or intentional foul) penalty makes it a lot harder to convert.  I don't see why they needed to change that one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:14:32 AM »
The face mask rule is a stupid change.  If you make the penalty too severe, it never gets called and someone ends up getting hurt. 

Excessive swinging of the arms used to be a technical foul if there was no contact.  Guess what, it never got called until a kid ended up with a bloody lip or nose from a post player hitting him with an elbow.  And even then, it was called as a ball control foul, so the severe penalty never was enforced.  Now, it is just a violation and a turnover and it gets called from time to time before there is any contact. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions