« on: March 11, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Go Texas!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »
It's always better to have the Paul Harvey textbooks.

Our young people need to learn that this country is made up of both sides of the political spectrum, no matter which side you are on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Aubie16

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
It really shouldn't matter a whole lot either way. If the teacher is relying on the textbook to teach students...you've already got a big problem.

I don't think my students have opened their textbooks one time this year...unless they are studying extra at home...in which case I'll tell them to study their notes, and not their textbook.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »
It really shouldn't matter a whole lot either way. If the teacher is relying on the textbook to teach students...you've already got a big problem.

I don't think my students have opened their textbooks one time this year...unless they are studying extra at home...in which case I'll tell them to study their notes, and not their textbook.

I think you should use both. It allows for some concrete basics plus real world addition. But why hand it out and make my kid lug it around and me pay for it if we are not using it? And if it sucks, then we should change it like Texas is doing.

But this is one of the problems with the education system today. It's run mostly by money wasters who see their agenda as worth it. Kudos to Texas for creating an atmosphere where the teachers can legally teach both sides.

How long would you last if the parents go together and protested your method? If you are not using the book, then you have no ground to stand on. And that sucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:00:59 AM »
I think you should use both. It allows for some concrete basics plus real world addition. But why hand it out and make my kid lug it around and me pay for it if we are not using it? And if it sucks, then we should change it like Texas is doing.

But this is one of the problems with the education system today. It's run mostly by money wasters who see their agenda as worth it. Kudos to Texas for creating an atmosphere where the teachers can legally teach both sides.

How long would you last if the parents go together and protested your method? If you are not using the book, then you have no ground to stand on. And that sucks.
You guys know I am a conservative, and for the most part am conservative in my thinking.  Having said that...

What this article does NOT mention very clearly is that the REPUBLICAN voters of Texas voted Dr. Moonbat off the Board.  He is an extremist in the worst way - so far to the right that he makes very little sense.  He has been extremely controversial the whole time he has been on the board.  Again, many Republicans like myself hate him and wish he would take his self-righteous ultrastupid agenda somewhere else. 

While I am NOT in favor of any discussion of the Battle of San Jacinto or "Remember the Alamo" being painted as some illegal war against the rightful government of Mexico, I am also NOT in favor of extreme religious based themes being introduced in everything from math to langauge to music.  The purpose of education is to teach people to think for themselves.  Present both sides - or multiple sides, even.  This guy, and his cronies on the Board, are going to try and do some serious damage before their terms are up.

I hate one-sided behavior in anything.  Maybe it is the negotiator in me, but being told "My way and that is IT" just really pisses me off.

This is why I HATE that being a school board member/Board of Education is a partisan position.  You get extremists on both sides and the system suffers for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
You guys know I am a conservative, and for the most part am conservative in my thinking.  Having said that...

What this article does NOT mention very clearly is that the REPUBLICAN voters of Texas voted Dr. Moonbat off the Board.  He is an extremist in the worst way - so far to the right that he makes very little sense.  He has been extremely controversial the whole time he has been on the board.  Again, many Republicans like myself hate him and wish he would take his self-righteous ultrastupid agenda somewhere else. 

While I am NOT in favor of any discussion of the Battle of San Jacinto or "Remember the Alamo" being painted as some illegal war against the rightful government of Mexico, I am also NOT in favor of extreme religious based themes being introduced in everything from math to langauge to music.  The purpose of education is to teach people to think for themselves.  Present both sides - or multiple sides, even.  This guy, and his cronies on the Board, are going to try and do some serious damage before their terms are up.

I hate one-sided behavior in anything.  Maybe it is the negotiator in me, but being told "My way and that is IT" just really pisses me off.

This is why I HATE that being a school board member/Board of Education is a partisan position.  You get extremists on both sides and the system suffers for it.
^Gets it.

I am reminded of the following SNL Weekend Update bit.

This week, Georgia’s board of education approved a plan that allows teachers to keep using the word "Evolution" when teaching biology. Though, as a compromise, dinosaurs are now called "Jesus Horses."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »

I don't make my kids lug it around. I wouldn't even issue it if it was up to me. I tell them to take it home, look at it if they missed something in their notes, and then bring it back at the end of the year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010