Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"The Pacific"....who'll be watching or recording it this Sunday at 8pm?

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
BTW, one of the soldiers that this HBO Series will be following is PFC Eugene Sledge an Auburn graduate.  Also, the actor playing the role of PFC Sledge, was also in Jurassic Park, he was the little boy.

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html#/the-pacific/cast-and-crew/eugene-sledge/index.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
I'm recording it Sunday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Sadly I do not have HBO.  I will have to wait until I can steal it off the internet buy the dvd release.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

chinook

any review?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"The Pacific" on HBO
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
Anyone watch part 1 last night?

Sounds like a lot of this series will be based on Gene Sledge, a native of Mobile, and eventual Auburn graduate. 

Anyone know anything about him, or have opinions on the series itself?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thanks for the move.  Didn't see this thread obviously......

First one was good.  Intense.   Shot in that Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan style that leaves nothing to the imagination.  Did a good job of conveying the fear, and the unknowns, and waiting associated with going on shore with no clue on what you were there to do, or who was where waiting to kill you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Thanks for the move.  Didn't see this thread obviously......

First one was good.  Intense.   Shot in that Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan style that leaves nothing to the imagination.  Did a good job of conveying the fear, and the unknowns, and waiting associated with going on shore with no clue on what you were there to do, or who was where waiting to kill you.
BINGO!!!!  I thought, for the most part, it was fuckin' intense.  This will be another awesome war movie/mini series.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

If anyone didn't get to record it, it's on HBO On Demand, which is free, if you have HBO.

I'm looking forward to it.  My grandfather was in the Marines from 1935-1960, and Sani will appreciate this, he was a China Marine.  I know he also saw combat at Okinawa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
If anyone didn't get to record it, it's on HBO On Demand, which is free, if you have HBO.

I'm looking forward to it.  My grandfather was in the Marines from 1935-1960, and Sani will appreciate this, he was a China Marine.  I know he also saw combat at Okinawa.

Holy shit.  Never realized that you were a legacy from a China marine. I assume he was in the 4th?

Hell I gotta like ya now.  

Were you old enough to get any stories from him?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:31:14 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Re: "The Pacific"....who'll be watching or recording it this Sunday at 8pm?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
Yep.  He passed away 10 years before I went in.  When I graduated from boot camp, my grandmother gave me his photo album.  Some of the pics in it are from China, where you can see fires/damage caused by bombings.

He was also stationed in England, and was invited to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth, that invite is in the photo album as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »
Yep.  He passed away 10 years before I went in.  When I graduated from boot camp, my grandmother gave me his photo album.  Some of the pics in it are from China, where you can see fires/damage caused by bombings.

He was also stationed in England, and was invited to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth, that invite is in the photo album as well.

That is great.  My family had no previous ties to the corps before I went in so I am envious that you have that history  of those items as a link to the past.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:11:15 AM »
After three episodes of this all I can say is "Wow"!

I have considered myself a student of the Marine Corps and it's role in the pacific theater but I am even learning a lot.  Top notch from Steven Spielberg to the actors portraying the real people. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
After three episodes of this all I can say is "Wow"!

I have considered myself a student of the Marine Corps and it's role in the pacific theater but I am even learning a lot.  Top notch from Steven Spielberg to the actors portraying the real people. 

Agreed.  If you're not watching, you're missing out.  Good stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions