AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Auburn's Pro Day
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »
What we learned from Auburn's 2010 pro day

By Evan Woodbery
March 10, 2010, 8:52AM

Todd Van Emst, AuburnQuarterback Chris Todd performs a vertical leap at Tuesday's pro day.

Auburn's pro day is in the books, which means draft-eligible players will get a little bit of a breather leading up to next month's draft. Sure, there will still be some individual workouts for specific teams, but much of the testing-oriented stuff is done.

Auburn has three bona fide NFL draft prospects in Ben Tate, Antonio Coleman and Walt McFadden. I focused much of today's story on that trio. Gabe McKenzie and a handful of others are trying to push their way into that mix.

Here's the story...

AUBURN -- Antonio Coleman approached every test and drill Tuesday with painstaking seriousness. Gabe McKenzie was never satisfied even as he put up big numbers.

But as the immensely important and pressure-packed pro day wound to a close, both players could share a laugh and crack a smile.

Coleman and McKenzie grew up in Mobile, came to Auburn as part of the same class and are now seeking a path to the NFL.
        Coleman is expected to be drafted; McKenzie was fighting to get noticed. Both players left Auburn's football practice fields Tuesday satisfied with their performance.

"We were pushing each other," Coleman said. "It was real fun."

Coleman is one of three Auburn players expected to be selected in next month's draft. Cornerback Walt McFadden also went through workouts Tuesday; running back Ben Tate, coming off an impressive performance in the NFL combine in Indianapolis, largely watched from the sidelines.

About a dozen other players -- including a handful of curiosities -- went through the workouts hoping to get noticed. That group included former Auburn running back Brad Lester, former receivers Robert Dunn and Montez Billings, and former tight end Robert Johnson. Two track athletes also came out, including Jamaican Olympian and former Auburn decathlete Maurice Smith.

"I think I did pretty well," said Smith, who has never played a down of football in his life but was hoping for a chance to play receiver, defensive back or special teams.

Lester's performance was notable for his 22 reps on the 225-pound bench press, one of the best marks on the team. Billings put up nice numbers in all the speed and leaping categories.

But most of the scouts were there to see the Coleman, McFadden and Tate -- and they probably couldn't help but notice McKenzie.

The former Davidson standout turned heads with a chiseled, 258-pound physique. He did well in the strength, speed and jumping drills, but said he could do even better.

"I could go all day," he said. "I could go again."

McKenzie played both tight end and defensive end at Auburn, and he worked out at both positions Tuesday. He also addressed his absence from the team during the summer of 2009 for the first time. He said he was "stressed out" and didn't manage the pressure well. He said he's learned not to let it happen again.

Now his focus is on the future.

"I had been planning every day for (pro day)," McKenzie said. "I was looking forward to it. My numbers weren't as close as I thought they'd be, so I'll train more."

Coleman skipped some events at the NFL combine due to a sore quad, an injury that lingered Tuesday.

"It bothered me a lot," he said. "I had a sleeve on it; I also had something under that. It's a big thing when you're out here running doing all these movements. It's painful, but I've played through pain before."

He said teams are looking at him as both a linebacker and a defensive end.

"It's kind of tough because 16 of the (NFL) teams are running 3-4 (defenses) now," Coleman said. "Whatever the case may be, I just want to play football... I'm just looking for an opportunity. Whatever opportunity presents itself -- first (round), fourth, seventh. All I need is an opportunity. I know I'm a hard worker and I know I'll make the team."

McFadden's older brother Bryant is an NFL veteran so the draft process hasn't been as daunting to him. Walt McFadden wasn't invited to the NFL combine but put up a brilliant 4.4-second 40-time on Tuesday that put him among the best at his position.

"I'm willing to go anywhere to play," McFadden said. "Just having a chance to play in the NFL, that's a dream come true for me. (I'll go to) whatever team says they like Walter McFadden."

Tate was able to relax Tuesday after putting up eye-popping numbers in Indianapolis. He did catch some passes and go through a few outdoor drills, but felt no need to retry his 40-time or any other tests. (He even declined to be measured for height).

Tate said he felt vindicated by his performance in Indianapolis.

"I think a lot of people were surprised," he said. "A lot of the scouts and a lot of you guys in the media (were surprised), but I knew what I could do the whole time. I've been telling y'all I was fast, but no one really wanted to listen to me. My coaches knew, and my family knew... I think I've been underestimated my whole career. It drives me, it keeps me working hard. I don't mind being the underdog. One day the underdog will be on top."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions