Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tyrik Rollison is leaving

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
Re: Tyrik Rollison is leaving
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »
I have a scary feeling that people will appreciate Chris Todd more after this upcoming season too.

You bite your tongue. I can't handle thoughts like this in February.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »
We are not replacing Vince Young or Sam Bradford or Tim Tebow.   RWS' post was just a little dramatic to me, considering everything I just wrote.  Not to mention the fact that we actually had no idea what Rollison was bringing to the table anyway, so how can we know what we lost?
Nobody even knows what Newton is bringing to the table. That was kind of my point. If Newton is the starter in the first place, that tells you that AU is possibly in bad shape at QB behind him. Every QB on the roster has more time in the system than Newton. Now, if Newton is named starter then subsequently flops? Then you know for a fact AU is fucked at QB, or the coaches just can't evaluate what they have.

Its not just as easy as "Well, let's see.....Todd wasn't that great, so with Newton being the #1 JUCO QB, that should put him about the same level as Todd." For that matter, Rollison was the #2 dual-threat QB out of high school. He wasn't even the backup QB last season. I understand that AU isn't replacing a Vince Young or a Tim Tebow, but consider the guys that were behind Todd last season and realize they aren't Vince Youngs or Tim Tebows either, and they were behind Todd. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jadennis

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
Yeah and we were only replacing Brandon Cox in 2008. Yet we went from 8-4 to 5-7

That's apples and marshmallows though.  A lot changed from 2007 to 2008 (Franklin, receivers, etc) besides just losing Brandon Cox.  And in 08, we didn't just go to Todd.  We went to an injured, noodle-armed Todd.

Nobody even knows what Newton is bringing to the table. That was kind of my point. If Newton is the starter in the first place, that tells you that AU is possibly in bad shape at QB behind him. Every QB on the roster has more time in the system than Newton. Now, if Newton is named starter then subsequently flops? Then you know for a fact AU is phuked at QB, or the coaches just can't evaluate what they have.

Its not just as easy as "Well, let's see.....Todd wasn't that great, so with Newton being the #1 JUCO QB, that should put him about the same level as Todd." For that matter, Rollison was the #2 dual-threat QB out of high school. He wasn't even the backup QB last season. I understand that AU isn't replacing a Vince Young or a Tim Tebow, but consider the guys that were behind Todd last season and realize they aren't Vince Youngs or Tim Tebows either, and they were behind Todd.

All of this is true.  We don't know.  But we just lost the guy that was 3rd string last year.  And had Trotter not been injured, he may not have even been 3rd string, who knows.  

I guess I'm talking about to what extent I'm worried about it.  I just think the odds are that we have someone (Newton, Trotter, Mosley, or even a year older Caudle) that can be as adequate as Todd was.  I don't think that's a stretch to expect that out of those four guys, someone can be Todd's equal.  

Again, he wasn't special...I'm not expecting one of these guys to be special.  If Newton is, then great, but I'm not expecting it.  I am expecting Malzahn to be able to get one of them to do what he needs them to do (bare minimum) to be successful in this offense, just like he did with Paul Smith in 2007, David Johnson in 2008, and the previously left-for-dead Chris Todd in 2009.

He was able to get three different guys in three seasons to run his offense adequately (two of them in their first year in the offense, one of which didn't even get to go through spring and summer workouts in the offense).  I just expect that he will do the same with one of our four guys for 2010.  Will they break school records?  Will they be a huge improvement?  Who knows.  

I'm not saying I'm 100% confident, but I'm confident enough that I don't feel like I have to go buy a rabbits foot, cover it in four leaf clovers with my fingers crossed with one hand, and eat a bowl of lucky charms with the other hand.  I just think your "pray to all that is Holy" was overly dramatic.  I know you don't think we're replacing Vince Young, I just think you're acting like we are....and top of that, you're acting like Colt McCoy, the heir apparent, just transferred.  

If we're screwed at QB now, then we were already screwed at QB.  Rollison leaving I don't think changed that one way or another.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:40:28 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »
Nobody even knows what Newton is bringing to the table. That was kind of my point. If Newton is the starter in the first place, that tells you that AU is possibly in bad shape at QB behind him. Every QB on the roster has more time in the system than Newton. Now, if Newton is named starter then subsequently flops? Then you know for a fact AU is fucked at QB, or the coaches just can't evaluate what they have.

That's not true.  I guess it's your opinion, but it's not a fact that if Newton becomes the starter, that the others are flops.

Why:
1.  Cameron Newton.  He's the "favorite" because of hype maybe, but there are a few facts.
      a.  He's a big mother fucker.  6-6 245lbs. 
      b.  Supposedly he has an arm.  I've seen some video that would seem to back this up.
      c.  He's an experienced leader on a NC winning team in Junior College.
      d.  He'll truck defenseless DB's when necessary.  I've seen THAT video also.  Have you?
      e.  He didn't leave Florida because he sucked and couldn't hang. 

2.  Kodi Burns.
      a.  He's a wide receiver again.  Done.

3.  Neil Caudle.
      a.  Really likes Auburn.
      b.  "a." was a joke.
      c.  He didn't suck it up when he played this past year.  Was a serviceable back up to Todd.
      d.  He's the only returning QB that truly had a shot in the rotation last season going into this spring.

4.  Clint Mosely.
      a.  He was a true Freshman last season, and nobody really thought that he would challenge for the position. 
           Thus, it was no surprise when he didn't.
      b.  This is his second QB race, and he'll be doing it as a redshirt freshman with only scout team experience.

5.  Tyrik Rollison.
      a.  Poof.  Gone.

6.  Barrett Trotter.
      a.  Almost had his redshirt lifted to play 3 games, or less in 2008.
      b.  Was hurt in the spring, before A-Day in 2009.  Didn't see the field in 2009.
      c.  By all accounts, a great talent.
      d.  This is his first chance post injury, and only second chance to play, or try to earn a spot going into spring.

Bottom line, RWS, is that this is a basically new QB battle going into 2010.  It's not the same cast as you suggested.  It's a new set of circumstances entirely.

To suggest that AU would be "fucked" if Newton is the starter over the others, would be premature, and ignorant.  It probably just means that Newton, is as advertised, and we have serviceable back-ups in Trotter, and a veteran in Caudle.

I'd then also remind you about Mosely and the talent being recruited to Auburn over the next few years.  Auburn is nowhere close to "fucked", sir.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:07:42 PM by AuburnChopper »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
1.  Cameron Newton.  He's the "favorite" because of hype maybe, but there are a few facts.
      a.  He's a big mother fucker.  6-6 245lbs. 
      b.  Supposedly he has an arm.  I've seen some video that would seem to back this up.
      c.  He's an experienced leader on a NC winning team in Junior College.
      d.  He'll truck defenseless DB's when necessary.  I've seen THAT video also.  Have you?
      e.  He didn't leave Florida because he sucked and couldn't hang.
f.  He's got the most awesome last name in the world.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »
f.  He's got the most awesome last name in the world.
"From da Skreetz"
e. Newton has 2 arms.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
"From da Skreetz"
e. G. Newton has 2 3 arms.
Fixed that for ya.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 07:39:22 AM »
I think at least one more QB either quits football or transfers before the season starts. Good luck to young Rollison, hope he finds himself at SHS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
I think at least one more QB either quits football or transfers before the season starts. Good luck to young Rollison, hope he finds himself at SHS.

Trotter would be the one if anyone I say.  Mosley is young and would be in line to take over as a Junior (in his mind).  Caudle is a senior and seems to be content to stay put.  Newton obviously isn't leaving.  I think if Trotter sees himself sitting behind Newton the next two years, he may leave...who knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jmar

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »
Well said ja. The percentages are just there considering the numbers and from QB heavy teams at AU in the past. We certainly don't want anyone to leave but some of these guys want to get the most out of themselves while they have the opportunity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
Instincts.  Have them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »
Instincts.  Have them. 

Unless you knew the dude was a dumb ass or liked to smoke dope...you got lucky. You can't take some wild ass stab in the dark and call it instincts...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 03:25:06 PM »
Unless you knew the dude was a dumb ass or liked to smoke dope...you got lucky. You can't take some wild ass stab in the dark and call it instincts...

Luck - It sounds familiar. Like Ive seen it on here before. Can't really put a finger on it, but recruiting comes to mind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »
Luck - It sounds familiar. Like Ive seen it on here before. Can't really put a finger on it, but recruiting comes to mind.

Not sure what you are implying...

I don't think recruiting is "luck"...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »

Luck is not 99% accurate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »

haha...99% accurate instincts...

You pegged this. I'll give it to you. I was the first to admit I was wrong. I still think he has a ton of talent. I was basing my "instinct" by watching film, and looking at his stats in HS ball, etc.

You nailed a shot in the dark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
haha...99% accurate instincts...

You pegged this. I'll give it to you. I was the first to admit I was wrong. I still think he has a ton of talent. I was basing my "instinct" by watching film, and looking at his stats in HS ball, etc.

You nailed a shot in the dark.

I nail many, many so-called shots in the dark.  Far too many for it to be "luck." 

My instincts are good. 

Newton I am not reading right now.  My initial reaction is that he will struggle far more than many here anticipate and will be closer to Jordan Jefferson than anybody would like next year.  But I'm waiting to make that determination.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Cam Newton is no Chris Todd, whatever will we do?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 06:18:03 PM »

I've been reading your posts for maybe 14 months or so now.  Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500 of them on the two sites I've known you.  I agree with a lot of your positions, or at least the logic to them, and disagreed with some too.

My instincts tell me your claim of 99% has a 99% chance of being an exaggeration.  :pot:

On another note....what do you think about losing him?  Big deal?  Or no big deal?  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:19:58 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor