Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jonathan Rose

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Jonathan Rose
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
http://blog.al.com/sentell/2010/02/top_prospect_jonathan_rose_of.html

Top prospect Jonathan Rose of Leeds has Auburn pedigree, but Alabama is making strong pitch
By Jeff Sentell -- The Birmingham News
February 18, 2010, 10:16AM

The Leeds coaching staff believes junior Jonathan Rose is the best football prospect the program has produced in more than a decade.

Rose's pedigree suggests the 6-foot-1 cornerback will one day play for Auburn. He is the son of former Tigers defensive back Charles Rose.

But that didn't stop Alabama from being the first school to of­fer a scholarship last Wednesday. He's expected to be one of the state's top prospects in the Class of 2011.

Auburn is also among the schools chasing Rose. Its offer was delayed last week due to a trip to the Bahamas by members of the coaching staff.

Rose said he has already spent "40 minutes" in Alabama coach Nick Saban's office. Saban made "a big impression," Rose said.

"We talked about how he likes tall corners. He likes my frame. He said he can't coach size. He's hands-on coaching the corners, so it was a lot of me listening to what he said."

If one subscribes to the theory that Alabama and Auburn com­pete for the state's best players every day, then Rose is a test case to measure the effectiveness of the recruiters at those schools.

"I really liked how Coach Sa­ban talked about Alabama's strengths," Rose said. "He didn't make it an Alabama vs. Auburn thing at all. He didn't even men­tion Auburn. I thought that showed class."

That's part of the reason why a 16-year-old who came home from the hospital in Auburn boo­ties can see his family sitting at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

"I still see those Auburn boo­ties every day when I go down­stairs to watch TV because they are still there," Rose said. "It sounds crazy, but my dad has al­ready said he can see himself in Bryant-Denny Stadium wearing a crimson No. 9 jersey with the name 'Rose' on the back if it goes that way."

There's already one piece of Crimson Tide memorabilia in the Rose home. It's a poster Rose put up in his room.

Auburn extended its schol­arship offer Tuesday night.

"I haven't heard from (Auburn coach Gene) Chizik yet," Rose said. "I'm looking forward to it because I grew up Auburn."

His talent as a top recruit begins with genetics. His dad recalls being "one of the four fastest players" in the program when he arrived at Auburn in 1992. The son is taller, but not as fast as the father was way back then.

The son's ball skills are considered much better, though.

"My son is already better than I was," said Rose, who was a four-year letterman and two-year starter at Au­burn.

"I ran a 4.32 in the 40. I was fast, but he's much more advanced at playing the game."

Rose can run the 100 me­ters in 10.8 seconds, even af­ter growing 3 inches since last summer. The Leeds star picked off three passes last year and broke up 29 passes thanks to a wingspan that seems to go forever.

"He's got such great re­covery thanks to that height," Leeds coach Keith Etheredge said. "He got his hands on a lot of balls he shouldn't have because of his height, length and speed."

Throughout his son's re­cruitment, Charles Rose says, he won't play armchair recruiter and point his son toward Auburn.

"My family did a great thing in that they let me make my own decision choosing a school," Charles said. "Going to Auburn was best for me. It might not be for my son. He'll make his decision and we'll support him every step once he does."

The son said his decision will come down to Alabama or Auburn.

"I don't see myself going to a USC or an Ohio State," he said. "I might take visits there to see what they have got, but it is going to come down to Alabama or Au­burn. They have everything a player would need to play at the next level."

He didn't know then that late Wednesday night, Flor­ida State coach Jimbo Fisher would call with another scholarship offer.

The B student won't put on a show with his recruit­ment. He plans to decide this fall.

"It's not going to be a cir­cus," Rose said. "I'm just blessed to now have the op­portunity to play in the SEC. I don't need any spotlight on me."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Jonathan Rose
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
No, Jeff Sentell is not biased. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
No, Jeff Sentell is not biased. 
Looks like despite how the "Auburn biased" Birmingham News tries to spin it, Auburn is leading by lightyears with this kid.

"Auburn is most likely where I will go to school"

"Auburn is high on my list," he said. "I'm going to take my time, make sure I get to see all of the colleges before I make a final decision. But Auburn will most likely be my choice."

Sounds like he can't wait to don Crimson as Sentell framed it...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
I hope Mr. Rose commits to Auburn...This kid will be a balla, mark it down.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:33:17 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
Jonathan's grandpa works at my company in Leeds. Marcellus Mostella's brother, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »
Jonathan's grandpa works at my company in Leeds. Marcellus Mostella's brother, too.

So whats the inside scoop? Whats your skreets sayin'?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »
Marcellus Mostella

By far the best name in Auburn Football history.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:03:17 AM »
Looks like despite how the "Auburn biased" Birmingham News tries to spin it, Auburn is leading by lightyears with this kid.

"Auburn is most likely where I will go to school"

"Auburn is high on my list," he said. "I'm going to take my time, make sure I get to see all of the colleges before I make a final decision. But Auburn will most likely be my choice."

Sounds like he can't wait to don Crimson as Sentell framed it...

I can't find those quotes in the article. Any help would be fantastic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:19:43 AM »

It's from an article that can't be copied as a whole due to premium status.  I can tell you though, that the quotes are legit, and in black and white on Rivals and Scout.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:03:42 AM »
Exactly my point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »
It's from an article that can't be copied as a whole due to premium status.  I can tell you though, that the quotes are legit, and in black and white on Rivals and Scout.

Thank you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

No Huddle

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
Exactly my point.

OK I am with you now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »
So whats the inside scoop? Whats your skreets sayin'?
Grandpa thinks he's going to be a Tiger. Nothing groundbreaking - said he had a very good visit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »
Grandpa thinks he's going to be a Tiger. Nothing groundbreaking - said he had a very good visit.

Grandpa is a good man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions