Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Birmingham officially sucks more...

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Birmingham officially sucks more...
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
Maybe instead of having a rally on facebook those 15,732 people should have supported the businesses who advertised on the station more. 

Just sayin'.
15,785 now. Still not including me.

Even though it's already gone, so obviously a lost cause, over 50 people have joined that group in the 15 minutes since my last post.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »
15,785 now. Still not including me.

Even though it's already gone, so obviously a lost cause, over 50 people have joined that group in the 15 minutes since my last post.

You do realize that using facebook as a polling device is akin to using wikipedia as a source right?

Just totally fucking wrong.

I am digging this.  Consequences for their inaction. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:36:52 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »
I'm still hearing the shit-tastic music on 100.5 as I type.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »
You old farts no not of which you speak.

First they took the X, then they took 105.5 the Vulcan and turned it into some shit-tacular talk radio. How's that working out for them? Has anyone even ever listened to that station?

I started listening to the X when it was The Bear...so don't you start sassing me young man. 

I agree with Sani though, groups supporting something do virtually no good.  Those 15,000 plus needed to buy from their advertisers...or help sponsor it themselves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Token

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 03:48:10 PM »
You do realize that using facebook as a polling device is akin to using wikipedia as a source right?

I am digging this.  Consequences for their inaction.  

You got a problem with social networks?  Just because 75% of those people are fucking losers who accept every friend request (because they didn't have any real friends in high school) and join every group presented to them doesn't mean they don't care about slippery skillet and the elevator tones.

Asshole.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:49:50 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
You got a problem with social networks?  Just because 75% of those people are fucking losers who accept every friend request (because they didn't have any real friends in high school) and join every group presented to doesn't mean they don't care about slippery skillet and the elevator tones.

Asshole.

Is there a group that I can join?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »

I am digging this.  Consequences for their inaction. 
Yes. Both are way more precise than given credit for.

First, facebook. Do you think any of those people joined a group asking to save Live 100.5 that didn't give a shit about Live 100.5? Why the hell would they sign up for it then? If anything, there are a lot more people that listen to Live 100.5 and aren't members of that facebook group, so it's under representative.

Secondly, since you brought Wikipedia into this, this is a peeve of mine that I will now rant on. Wikipedia has this notorious reputation for being incorrect, which is greatly exaggerated and undue. When have you ever seen an incorrect statement on Wikipedia? Yeah, anyone can post anything, but those dumb or inaccurate things are taken down almost instantly.

This study was done 5 years ago, and since then Wikipedia's reliability has only improved.

Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

Or perhaps a more accurate article  :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »
And I'm not advocating that them signing up for a facebook group is getting any political action done.

I'm not saying they will save the station by joining the group. In fact, I specifically said the opposite.

I'm just saying the claim that "no one listened to that crap because it was indie garbage which means no one listens to it", is just plain stupid. People were listening.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:56:55 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
Yes. Both are way more precise than given credit for.

First, facebook. Do you think any of those people joined a group asking to save Live 100.5 that didn't give a shit about Live 100.5? Why the hell would they sign up for it then? If anything, there are a lot more people that listen to Live 100.5 and aren't members of that facebook group, so it's under representative.

Secondly, since you brought Wikipedia into this, this is a peeve of mine that I will now rant on. Wikipedia has this notorious reputation for being incorrect, which is greatly exaggerated and undue. When have you ever seen an incorrect statement on Wikipedia? Yeah, anyone can post anything, but those dumb or inaccurate things are taken down almost instantly.

This study was done 5 years ago, and since then Wikipedia's reliability has only improved.

Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

Or perhaps a more accurate article  :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia

When Wikipedia is accepted as a general reference for a research paper, doctoral thesis, or anywhere in between then I will give it's due.  I like Wikipedia.  Use it all the time to look things up.  Doesn't mean I am going to cite it as a source.  No doubt in my mind that one day it or another internet based fact machine will be accepted into the ivory halls of academia.  Until that happens I ain't using it as a source.

As far as your rationalization of numbers on facebook, see sarcastic Token response above.

Still it's gone and gone because of the man.  The man took it away from you honest folk.  If I were all tore up over it I would support the products being advertised. march in the streets  join a facebook group.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:02:13 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »
Mainstream music is going to sell more, regardless of whether it's "good" or not.  As Wes pointed out, the quality of music is mostly subjective.  There are mathematical reasons as to why a collection of notes is consonant or dissonant, and almost every person will agree that dissonant sounds are horrendous, but the quality of a properly written song (meaning that it follows the mathematical rules of chord progression, consonance, etc.) is going to be subjective.

With that being said, the obvious way to make money with a radio station is to play mainstream music.  "Good" or not, it sells, and it brings your station popularity, even if it's only popularity with teens.  This isn't what happened with 100.5.

100.5 turned into a talk radio station that has to compete with NPR, JOX and other talk radio stations that are already in the area.  Is this better than filling a niche market for indie music?  Maybe, I don't know; I don't have the figures for Birmingham talk radio stations.  However, what I do know is that they turned a music station into a talk radio station, and that seems like silly management to me.

I don't know many people who listen to talk radio.  Of those who do, they either listen to sports radio, or they're older and they listen to the news.  Within the city of Birmingham, 66.1% of the population is 44 or under.  Only 13.5% are 65 or older.  The median age is 34.

Based upon my experiences, most older people who listen to talk radio do so for the news or political commentary, both of which they probably get from the television moreso than the radio.  Afterall, most people don't listen to radio in their homes.  If you're retired and are at home, in all likelihood you're going to be watching the television.

I can see why 100.5 stopped playing indie music.  However, I just don't see the reason why they decided to go to talk radio.  It would make more sense to me if they had switched to mainstream, classic rock, rock, country, rap or some other genre of music.  I honestly don't see how talk radio is going to make them more money than a music station would.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
When Wikipedia is accepted as a general reference for a research paper, doctoral thesis, or anywhere in between then I will give it's due.

It was accepted as a reference for research papers that I did in communications and philosophy courses.

No doubt in my mind that one day it or another internet based fact machine will be accepted into the ivory halls of academia.  Until that happens I ain't using it as a source.

I think we're already there.  Some uber-nerd developed Wolfram|Alpha, which is a search engine that uses legitimate sources and algorithms to give you an answer to any question you have.  Pretty useful tool.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

jadennis

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »

And the fact that popular = good? In the realm of music?

Wow.

I don't think anyone really argued this as their main point anywhere.  Maybe it got confused somewhere, but it wasn't anyone's main point.

The main point was...popular = money.  Good or not, "indie" gets it's reputation from appealing to smaller crowds. That's why it isn't main stream.  Do you see what I'm typing here?  "smaller crowds"..."isn't mainstream".  Those aren't good things necessarily in a town like Birmingham.  Sure, in larger populated cities, there are enough fans to support a station. 

So regardless of how good the music may have been on there, and regardless of the 15,000 facebookers, there evidently wasn't enough of a crowd to please a bean counter somewhere who probably listens to Yani.  He doesn't care what the "youth of today" listens to.  He only cares if the bills get paid.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
16000 / 660000 (approx population of Jefferson Co) = 2.3 % = Nobody GIVES a shit.

Chizad argument = failed logic and flawed premise
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:13 PM »
16000 / 660000 (approx population of Jefferson Co) = 2.3 % = Nobody GIVES a shit.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2010, 06:27:30 PM »

2.3% is essentially nobody Dr. Semantics
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
I don't think anyone really argued this as their main point anywhere.  Maybe it got confused somewhere, but it wasn't anyone's main point.

The main point was...popular = money.  Good or not, "indie" gets it's reputation from appealing to smaller crowds. That's why it isn't main stream.  Do you see what I'm typing here?  "smaller crowds"..."isn't mainstream".  Those aren't good things necessarily in a town like Birmingham.  Sure, in larger populated cities, there are enough fans to support a station.  

So regardless of how good the music may have been on there, and regardless of the 15,000 facebookers, there evidently wasn't enough of a crowd to please a bean counter somewhere who probably listens to Yani.  He doesn't care what the "youth of today" listens to.  He only cares if the bills get paid.

Obscure music is obscure for a reason usually -- because it sucks.

Fer fucksake. People took the facebook group thing to mean way more than I was suggesting.

There's a lot of fuckin people that listened to the station. I didn't imply that it was an exact population of active listeners of 100.5. I was only making a point that relative to facebook groups, especially those that pertain to an issue relevant only to a relatively small number of people, and has only been an issue for a couple of days, that's a large number of members. As Wes said, for someone that loves to point at others' failed comprehension, you sure didn't pick up on that when I said it explicitly.

There are probably double that that listen to the station regularly but don't give a shit about facebook groups (myself), or those that realized it was a lost cause (again, myself), those that aren't on facebook, or those that didn't even know they were going off the air.

So wait, I'm confused. Is the fact that 2.3% of Birmingham natives on facebook are a member of that group a scientific fucking poll, or is that a laughable example? I'm pretty sure I suggested all along that it's somewhere in between.

I'm fairly positive that less than 2.3% of Birmingham's population has a fan page on their facebook account for being a fan of eating, breathing, sleeping, and shitting, but I'd bet you more than that actually participate in said activities.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:37:42 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
the population of Birmingham is closer to 230,000.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »
Fer fucksake. People took the facebook group thing to mean way more than I was suggesting.

There's a lot of fuckin people that listened to the station. I didn't imply that it was an exact population of active listeners of 100.5. I was only making a point that relative to facebook groups, especially those that pertain to an issue relevant only to a relatively small number of people, and has only been an issue for a couple of days, that's a large number of members. As Wes said, for someone that loves to point at others' failed comprehension, you sure didn't pick up on that when I said it explicitly.

So wait, I'm confused. Is the fact that 2.3% of Birmingham natives on facebook are a member of that group a scientific fucking poll, or is that a laughable example? I'm pretty sure I suggested all along that it's somewhere in between.

I'm fairly positive that less than 2.3% of Birmingham's population has a fan page on their facebook account for being a fan of eating, breathing, sleeping, and shitting, but I'd bet you more than that actually participate in said activities.

This is what you call a reach.  

What was the Arbitron book on 100.5?  It pretty much sucked.  

http://www.arbitron.com/home/content.stm

It ranked 17th in the latest ratings available.  It was the lowest rated music station on the dial, other than a mexican station and an urban oldies station.   "A lot of fucking people" DIDN'T listen to that station.  That's the point.  Just because the tiny (and insignificant, honestly) group you hang with does simply doesn't speak to the overall dynamic.  

Here's an insult for you.  A true niche station, WJLD, out drew it.  WJLD is a fucking AM station.  It plays the blues.  

Here's another insult that shows you just how "fucking few" people listened.  Of the ten stations ranked below WWMM in the Arbitron book, seven were AM stations.  Do cars even come with AM radios any more?  Are there any AM stations that have a reach beyond 15 miles from the tower other than the Texas, Louisiana and Illinios stations that crop up in the middle of the night?  The three FM stations were talk, religious and talk.  WERC was the lowest.  

WWMM drew roughly the same numbers as WAPI's talk radio station.  Talk radio is cheaper to produce, cheaper to air and easier to sell.  

Economics lesson.  

And the music sucked.  That's clear from the ratings.  Facebook merely confirms that about 2% of the population gave a shit, which in statistical terms is essentially nobody.  

I'm really not denigrating the music, that's just for fun.  It's really nothing but an exercise in market realities.  Doesn't matter how good (or bad) the music is.  If you can't get enough people to listen to it -- and they couldn't -- then it won't sustain. 

This, my friends, is the true genius of KISS.  No matter what you may think of their musical abilities, they found a way to get people to listen and have survived -- nay, thrived -- for longer than most of you have been alive.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:47:49 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
the population of Birmingham is closer to 230,000.

What part of Jefferson County did you fail to understand?  I only took Jefferson and didn't factor in the population of Shelby, Walker, Blount, St. Clair and Tuscaloosa -- all of which could potentially fall within the station't range. 

2.3% was a very generous estimate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2010, 10:21:25 PM »
What part of Jefferson County did you fail to understand?  I only took Jefferson and didn't factor in the population of Shelby, Walker, Blount, St. Clair and Tuscaloosa -- all of which could potentially fall within the station't range. 

2.3% was a very generous estimate.

That was directed toward  :thumsup: because he confused Jeffco and Birmingham in the post above where I said the approximate pop. of Birmingham. I bet you suck as much dick as Peter Criss, you fucking douche bag.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions