Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Eric Clapton

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
Eric Clapton
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
I saw him in Birmingham last night...great show, AMAZING show...but what I thought was weird? He didn't say anything to the audience, not one word. He just came out and played...which I am not sure if I appreciate or not. Does that imply to anyone else that he just doesn't give a damn?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Eric Clapton
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
Not sure.  I saw Carlos Santana a few years back and he basically did the same thing.  I took it as him being so into the music. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »
I saw him in Birmingham last night...great show, AMAZING show...but what I thought was weird? He didn't say anything to the audience, not one word. He just came out and played...which I am not sure if I appreciate or not. Does that imply to anyone else that he just doesn't give a damn?
Saw Billy Joel and Elton John do that same thing.  And it is totally fine by me.  Every minute they speak is one less minute for me to hear the music I paid fifty gazillion dollars to hear. 

I HATE concerts where there are scripted moments for chit chat, lame jokes, etc.  Ad libbing and spontaneous reactions are fine - that's different.  And GOD FORBID that someone I paid good money to see should start into some political rant - in either direction - I did not pay for their opinion - I paid for the music.

I bet that was an awesome concert - I love Clapton.  He is one of the masters of his generation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:04:25 AM »
I saw Elton and he had some interaction with the audience.  Seen Pearl Jam in 98 with no interaction with the audience, that show sort of sucked since it was a rock concert with no explosions lights etc.  My thoughts is that you need to engage your audience in the show to an extent to connect with them more.  Going to a concert is the whole experience,not just the music, imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »
Paul Stanley called us by name "Hey Birmingham!!!" multiple times.  Juss sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:17:31 AM »
Saw Billy Joel and Elton John do that same thing.  And it is totally fine by me.  Every minute they speak is one less minute for me to hear the music I paid fifty gazillion dollars to hear. 

I HATE concerts where there are scripted moments for chit chat, lame jokes, etc.  Ad libbing and spontaneous reactions are fine - that's different.  And GOD FORBID that someone I paid good money to see should start into some political rant - in either direction - I did not pay for their opinion - I paid for the music.

I bet that was an awesome concert - I love Clapton.  He is one of the masters of his generation.

Interesting.  When I saw them in Vegas on the Back to Back tour in 2001? ish they were both very talkative but in a good way.  Telling what had inspired each song or little known tidbits about each song.  Kind of the way "Storytellers" was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
I saw Elton and he had some interaction with the audience. 
I saw Billy Joel and he did the same.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
Interesting.  When I saw them in Vegas on the Back to Back tour in 2001? ish they were both very talkative but in a good way.  Telling what had inspired each song or little known tidbits about each song.  Kind of the way "Storytellers" was.
Yes, I saw Back to Back as well and they did do this.  But a song intro is one thing.  Chit chat and long drawn out storytelling and such annoys me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 02:22:17 PM »
I saw Elton John in Texas...he talked some, not a lot, but I did witness his highness tell security to kick this "fag" out of the audience.

I don't want a bunch of freaking monologues in between songs, and God forbid a diatribe on politics, but I like a little background on a song or what he thinks of it now kind of shit.. I mean, SOME thing....but whatev, the music was fantastic and I danced my face off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »
I saw Clapton in Norfolk many years ago. He didn't do anything but jam. Outstanding concert!

I used to be a big John Mellencamp fan, back when he went by John Cougar/John Cougar Mellencamp. The last concert of his that I threw money at was Scarecrow. Out of 2 hours, he sang for maybe 45 minutes. The rest was preaching to us about the evil American government. Swore off him that night.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:59:45 PM by Pell City Tiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:13:03 PM »
I saw Clapton in Norfolk many years ago. He didn't do anything but jam. Outstanding concert!

I used to be a big John Mellencamp fan, back when he went by John Cougar/John Cougar Mellencamp. The last concert of his that I threw money at was Scarecrow. Out of 2 hours, he sang for maybe 45 minutes. The rest was preaching to us about the evil American government. Swore off him that night.
THIS^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 12:38:30 AM »

I saw Clapton at Thompson-Boling in Knoxville in .....uh....round about 96-97.  Same exact scenario.

Here is the explanation I crafted to make myself feel like I didn't waste $40 (cuz the actual music was awesome...there just wasn't a "show"):

Eric Clapton is old.  Very old.  His target audience (apart from the guitar wankers) is pretty fuckin old.  You know what they want?  They want to hear the songs, get home in time for Matlock, eat their creamed corn, and go to bed.

His guitar work was flawless, but I see more and more "older" acts just going through the motions for that paycheck.  I'm not hating.  If I could pull $50-100K for standing on stage for two hours and just having soundcheck, then I would.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.