Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Birmingham officially sucks more...

Birmingham officially sucks more...
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »
Live 100.5 went off air today @ around 2. Instead of keeping the only original music station Birmingham had on air, Citadel Broadcasting opted to change the indie music station into a talk radio station.  Instead of capitalizing on a niche market, they go with a talk radio station to compete with the other 3 FM talk radio stations. This adds on to my ever extending list of reasons to completely dissolve Medicare. By evolutionary standards, shouldn't the younger,stronger and more and intelligent people rule the country? The older generations have consistently caused more problems which they constantly "fix" by passing the buck to the younger generations. From draining Social Security to clogging up our roadways to a snails pace, I say it's finally time for the younger generation to pull the plug on the old fogies. I am usually pretty apathetic regarding most issues in this country, but if I am forced to listen to any goddamn classic rock/country/rap/talk radio station due to the elder incompetence at the head of some corporation in New York, then I say we start ridding ourselves of this old plague and finally let our country evolve into the great place it could be. Rant over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Birmingham officially sucks more...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »
Fuckin Hippie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:30:16 PM »
Fuckin Hippie.

Congratulations!!

By implying that I am a hippie from reading my original post, you just made the "Dumb Fuck that I Hope Dies" list. A hippie would say the exact opposite of what I said. They want to extend Medicare and Healthcare to the old and poor, whereas I want to take it all away. So hows a bouts you gos and turns up ya Garth Brooks you fucking redneck and drive your Ford truck off a cliff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »
Congratulations!!

By implying that I am a hippie from reading my original post, you just made the "Dumb Fuck that I Hope Dies" list. A hippie would say the exact opposite of what I said. They want to extend Medicare and Healthcare to the old and poor, whereas I want to take it all away. So hows a bouts you gos and turns up ya Garth Brooks you fucking redneck and drive your Ford truck off a cliff.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:48 PM »

Lets listen to Some String Cheese and hug a tree together. :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:33:59 PM »
Congratulations!!

By implying that I am a hippie from reading my original post, you just made the "Dumb phuk that I Hope Dies" list. A hippie would say the exact opposite of what I said. They want to extend Medicare and Healthcare to the old and poor, whereas I want to take it all away. So hows a bouts you gos and turns up ya Garth Brooks you phuking redneck and drive your Ford truck off a cliff.

The poor (most of whom dont want to work and play the system) = Yes, I agree somewhat.

The old? They paid into it man. Just like they did Social Security. Its not their fault the govt didnt manage their money right.

I agree - Garth Brooks sucks, but I do like some of those Ford Trucks. Those Super Dutys are the shit. I wouldnt even put em into the same category. :)

And actually, this country was chugging along fine until about the 60's, when young, progressive policy started fucking it up to the point its at today. So I wouldnt say old people fuck it up and young people have to clean it up. MOST young people today consider themselves "progressive" and subscribe to the philosophy that has screwed this country up. Just saying.

Hope this thread made you feel better wreckingball. You sounded really pissed.  :bar:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Congratulations!!

The music sucks you fucking hippie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Token

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:59:48 PM »
The music sucks you fucking hippie.

Hogbear shutting shit down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:16:38 AM »
It's about the money. 

Slippery Skillet and the Bibbledey Bee Bops might make your pecker perk when you're sitting around in flannel and sweatpants in your mom's basement, but it's not paying the bills. 

Advertisers aren't really falling all over themselves to market to the cheeto-snarfing hep cats who define their cool by how obscure the fucking band they like happens to be.  Obscure means nobody knows (or gives half a shit). 

Those radio stations have management that has to make a payday.  They've also got sales guys with kids in school and mortgages to pay.  When they're having to make their dimes in a competitive market by selling to Doobie Dave's Beer and Bong at $5 a pop, they can't survive. 

Obscure music is obscure for a reason usually -- because it sucks. 

Talk radio is fairly cheap to produce and maintain.  It sells pretty easily.  You can also sell country, classic rock and oldies because people listen.  Advertisers like it when people listen. 

And I agree with GH.  Our grandparents left us one hell of a country.  It's the flower power, live and let love generation that's hell bent on fucking things sideways. 

We've got people making decisions now who've never had to sacrifice anything.  Ever.  They've led a life of privilege and never seen or even considered true suffering -- like the suffering our parents and grandparents did.

Indie music can eat shit and die.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:09 AM »
OK.  I have apparently missed the curve on this.

Indie music?

Does this mean that it has a lot of suitar in it and is played in my local filling station?

or

Is it really bad music made by people from Indiana?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:26 AM »
It's about the money. 

Slippery Skillet and the Bibbledey Bee Bops might make your pecker perk when you're sitting around in flannel and sweatpants in your mom's basement, but it's not paying the bills. 

Old people got the money. When they die, they leave it to more old people. If the hippies would get a job and buy some shit they advertise on the hippie radio, then the hippie radio would still be there. But this ain't the gubment.

Free shit is usually free for a reason.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
OK.  I have apparently missed the curve on this.

Indie music?

Does this mean that it has a lot of suitar in it and is played in my local filling station?

or

Is it really bad music made by people from Indiana?

I'm pretty much guessing that Slippery Skillet and the Bibblety Bee Bops are from central Indiana.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
It's about the money. 

Advertisers aren't really falling all over themselves to market to the cheeto-snarfing hep cats who define their cool by how obscure the fucking band they like happens to be.  Obscure means nobody knows (or gives half a shit). 

Those radio stations have management that has to make a payday.  They've also got sales guys with kids in school and mortgages to pay.  When they're having to make their dimes in a competitive market by selling to Doobie Dave's Beer and Bong at $5 a pop, they can't survive. 

Talk radio is fairly cheap to produce and maintain.  It sells pretty easily.  You can also sell country, classic rock and oldies because people listen.  Advertisers like it when people listen. 

And I agree with GH.  Our grandparents left us one hell of a country.  It's the flower power, live and let love generation that's hell bent on fucking things sideways. 

We've got people making decisions now who've never had to sacrifice anything.  Ever.  They've led a life of privilege and never seen or even considered true suffering -- like the suffering our parents and grandparents did.

Indie music can eat shit and die.   

Make sure to rock the black socks and sandals when you shake your fist at the whippersnappers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jadennis

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
It's about the money. 

Advertisers aren't really falling all over themselves to market to the cheeto-snarfing hep cats who define their cool by how obscure the phuking band they like happens to be.  Obscure means nobody knows (or gives half a poop). 

And I agree with GH.  Our grandparents left us one hell of a country.  It's the flower power, live and let love generation that's hell bent on phuking things sideways. 

Indie music can eat poop and die.   

Beat me to it.

As I was reading the original post, I was thinking the same thing.  I mean, is it possible the "suits in New York" have some inside information on the station?  Like maybe that it's loosing money because there were only 17 wreckingball's out there listening? 

Maybe FM talk isn't solution, but it's obvious this Indian music was no goldmine.  (yes, WB, I understand it wasn't actually Indian music, so save the "drive off a cliff" suggestion).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
SO now I am really confused.  Indian music?

Dots or feathers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 10:45:31 AM »
Make sure to rock the black socks and sandals when you shake your fist at the whippersnappers.

Get the fuck off my lawn.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:47:06 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »
Get off my fucking lawn.

The only part of your post that I would take particular issue with is:

Obscure music is obscure for a reason usually -- because it sucks

This is complete shit...mostly because it's wholly subjective.  In my opinion 99.9% of mainstream, radio-friendly music sucks.  It is geared to appeal to the masses...the lowest common denominator.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »

This is complete shit...mostly because it's wholly subjective.  In my opinion 99.9% of mainstream, radio-friendly music sucks.  It is geared to appeal to the masses...the lowest common denominator.

When is Miss Montana rocking the next mall tour?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
When is Miss Montana rocking the next mall tour?

People's exhibit "A".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

This is complete shit...mostly because it's wholly subjective.  In my opinion 99.9% of mainstream, radio-friendly music sucks.  It is geared to appeal to the masses...the lowest common denominator.

Depends on the definition of "sucks"  

Popular music is popular for a reason.  People like it.  

Do I consider Lady GaGa a musical genius?  Nope.   I hate the below mentioned Montana.  

Maybe their music isn't the most technically proficient or whatever, but it resonates.  People like it, people buy it. It sells advertising, it keeps people employed.  Slippery Skillet and the Greasebags barely pays the rent.  

Asparagus is good for you and some people like it.  But there's not a McParagus on every corner.  Because it sucks and only a handful of people will buy it.  

It's basic economics. If you're independently wealthy and don't give a shit if your radio station loses money and your people starve to death, you can play all the Doobie McDooster shit you want.  If you're in business to make money you've got to cater to as big a market as possible.  

If he wants to listen to niche music then he can get a satellite radio.  It survives there.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:05:47 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions