Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Next Metric of Success?

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Next Metric of Success?
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:47:51 AM »
So we've survived the first season of Chizik's tenure.  A bowl trip, and win, helped to ease the discomfort with the gamble hire.

We made it through signing day and inked a hell of a class.

What's the next milestone/success factor to reach?

Minimal offseason issues?  90K at A-Day?  Wait until December and judge the W's and L's?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Next Metric of Success?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:50:37 AM »
Percentage of qualifiers, and minimal off-season issues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
1. Win - loss record next year.

2. Improvement on both sides of the ball.

3. Class qualifying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »
Pretty simple, really. 

Given the personnel replacements that have to be made (and so many of you seem to be missing the point on how difficult it's going to be to replace both Todd and Tate) the metric to judge his progress should be fairly simple.

1) Maintain the level.  If he can avoid a significant dip (two or three games) that's going to be a bigger achievement than winning eight this year. If he can follow up this recruiting class with another that addresses needs (more so than racking stars) that will also be a win.

2) Fix the motherfucking defense.  Make all the excuses you want, but we've been thinner, we've had fewer playmakers, we've played tougher schedules.  We've never, ever, ever, ever ever fielded a worse defense than this one.  Ever. That is absolutely unacceptable.  I don't care what else Auburn does, but we better by damn play defense.  There's no reason for a team helmed by a defensive-minded coach, as he's supposed to be, to be that fucking awful.  We proved (against an admittedly stagnant and much overrated Alabama offense) that we are capable of better.

3) Answer special teams questions.  You shouldn't be still trying new guys out in the last two games of the season.  Find somebody who can make decent decisions, has a little speed and then drill his ass over and over and over until he understands that fumbling the ball means that the next thing Nova gets to chase in pre-game is his scrotum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »
Cart before horse... however something I am concerned about will be how we do when we lose Gus. ie who Chizik gets as replacements for outgoing staff...becuase it will happen.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:04:06 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:18:38 PM »
Cart before horse... however something I am concerned about will be how we do when we lose Gus. ie who Chizik gets as replacements for outgoing staff...becuase it will happen.

This +1
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Pretty simple, really. 

Given the personnel replacements that have to be made (and so many of you seem to be missing the point on how difficult it's going to be to replace both Todd and Tate) the metric to judge his progress should be fairly simple.

1) Maintain the level.  If he can avoid a significant dip (two or three games) that's going to be a bigger achievement than winning eight this year. If he can follow up this recruiting class with another that addresses needs (more so than racking stars) that will also be a win.

2) Fix the motherphuking defense.  Make all the excuses you want, but we've been thinner, we've had fewer playmakers, we've played tougher schedules.  We've never, ever, ever, ever ever fielded a worse defense than this one.  Ever. That is absolutely unacceptable.  I don't care what else Auburn does, but we better by damn play defense.  There's no reason for a team helmed by a defensive-minded coach, as he's supposed to be, to be that phuking awful.  We proved (against an admittedly stagnant and much overrated Alabama offense) that we are capable of better.

3) Answer special teams questions.  You shouldn't be still trying new guys out in the last two games of the season.  Find somebody who can make decent decisions, has a little speed and then drill his ass over and over and over until he understands that fumbling the ball means that the next thing Nova gets to chase in pre-game is his scrotum.

On #2 - Not sure if we've ever been that thin before. Maybe we've been thinner overall on D but as far as the front 7 and especially the LB's, I've never seen it like that. We could not blitz the way Roof wanted to. That is a fact. 3 scholarship LB's a lot of the season. That is unheard of. Poor Josh Bynes was busting his ass with no plays off. We addressed those needs in this class and I expect the D to get better. It really can't get worse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »
Pretty simple, really. 

2) Fix the motherfucking defense.  Make all the excuses you want, but we've been thinner, we've had fewer playmakers, we've played tougher schedules.  We've never, ever, ever, ever ever fielded a worse defense than this one.  Ever. That is absolutely unacceptable.  I don't care what else Auburn does, but we better by damn play defense.  There's no reason for a team helmed by a defensive-minded coach, as he's supposed to be, to be that fucking awful.  We proved (against an admittedly stagnant and much overrated Alabama offense) that we are capable of better.

Can't argue with this.  Who am I kidding?  I can argue with anything.

I won't, though, because I mostly agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
Gus will never leave Auburn, or this year will be his last.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 02:44:33 PM »
Why does this have to be in metric?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
Why does this have to be in metric?

It's all metric these days....and ball bearings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »

It's all metric these days....and ball bearings.

And I'm gonna need about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »
And I'm gonna need about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

And somebody clean those windows!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
Is the gas tank on the right side of European cars?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »
Is the gas tank on the right side of European cars?

Yes, it is.  I got a text message that said so. Unless it isn't and then I'm saying that would also be true.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jadennis

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »
I went to Germany to ask Ferdinand Porsche, but he was dead.  Seemed like a nice guy though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »
I went to Germany to ask Ferdinand Porsche, but he was dead.  Seemed like a nice guy though.

So you almost met him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
And somebody clean those windows!
There is an incredible amount of muck and filth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum