Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2010 NSD Official Update Thread

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: 2010 NSD Official Update Thread
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
I'll say again. Unless the rules have changed in the last 15 years or so, I played football in college with an academic scholarship. I think you are wrong tits...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »
Definitely wasn't the reason for the wet streak in her panties...

ZING!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
I'll say again. Unless the rules have changed in the last 15 years or so, I played football in college with an academic scholarship. I think you are wrong tits...
Barrett Jones says he's full of shit too. Another example is the Bryant Scholarship. Its not an athletic scholarship, and it can be awarded to any player whose father played or coached for Bear Bryant. If you are, for example, a non-recruited walk on, you can start every single game every single season you are at UA and you will never count towards the 85. Its considered institutional aid, since no other school has that particular program.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:57:39 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »
Barrett Jones says he's full of shit too. Another example is the Bryant Scholarship. Its not an athletic scholarship, and it can be awarded to any player whose father played or coached for Bear Bryant. If you are, for example, a non-recruited walk on, you can start every single game every single season you are at UA and you will never count towards the 85. Its considered institutional aid, since no other school has that particular program.
Bryant would be so proud. Cheating beyond the grave.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
A Division 1 school? The first year you were on campus?
This rule is why the sign and place deal is so popular with some colleges. Or encouraging walk-ons who only practice with the team and hang around to see if an athletic scholarship opens up at a later date.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »
Go here...

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/D1_Manual9d74a0b2-d10d-4587-8902-b0c781e128ae.pdf

This is on page 183.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting something, but to me, it seems pretty clear:

15.5.1.2 Football or Basketball, Varsity Competition. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who
was recruited by the awarding institution and who receives institutional financial aid (as set forth in Bylaw
15.02.4.1) granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability does not have to be counted until the student-athlete engages in varsity intercollegiate competition (as opposed to freshman, B-team, subvarsity, intramural or club competition) in those sports. For this provision to be applicable, there shall be on file in the office of the athletics director certification by the faculty athletics representative, the admissions officer and the chair of the financial aid committee that the student’s admission and financial aid were granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability.

15.5.1.2.2 Exception—Receipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a
student-athlete who was recruited by the awarding institution andwhose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded
independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by
the institution, may compete without counting in the institution’s financial aid team limits, provided he or she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certifying institution and has
achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.300
(on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution
(Adopted: 10/27/05 effective 8/1/06)

No matter what type of scholarship you came into school with....if you PLAY (engages in varsity intercollegiate competition) you WILL count towards the 85.

The exception is listed in 15.5.1.2.2, but that can only happen after a full year of enrollment for someone that was accepted on an academic scholarship from the beginning, AND held a 3.3 after one year.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:02:20 AM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Token

« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »

Actually, once the Bryant scholarship player takes a snap, he counts towards the 85. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
Actually, once the Bryant scholarship player takes a snap, he counts towards the 85. 

BOOM
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
A Division 1 school? The first year you were on campus?
This rule is why the sign and place deal is so popular with some colleges. Or encouraging walk-ons who only practice with the team and hang around to see if an athletic scholarship opens up at a later date.

Yes. Division I school. I got redshirted my first year and played in some games my freshman year. All on an academic scholarship...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
Not if you are a non-recruited walk-on. A recruited walk-on would, though. Either way, the school has to submit to the NCAA that somebody will be a non-recruited or a recruited walk-on. Once the NCAA verifies it, its all gravy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Token

« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Not if you are a non-recruited walk-on. A recruited walk-on would, though. Either way, the school has to submit to the NCAA that somebody will be a non-recruited or a recruited walk-on. Once the NCAA verifies it, its all gravy.

Recruiting or not, this subject is posted on BOL 11 times a year and Tim Watts always has a link to a bylaw that states once the Bryant scholarship awarded player competes in any live game, he counts towards the 85. 

If I'm not mistaken, the bylaw was posted by Dennis above.  It's pretty clearly worded too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
Recruiting or not, this subject is posted on BOL 11 times a year and Tim Watts always has a link to a bylaw that states once the Bryant scholarship awarded player competes in any live game, he counts towards the 85.  

If I'm not mistaken, the bylaw was posted by Dennis above.  It's pretty clearly worded too.
From Matt Scalici of BOL:

According to UA, if the player in question is a walk-on football player who was not recruited by UA's coaches, that player will never count against Alabama's scholarship numbers, even if he plays in every game for all four years.

If the player was a recruited walk-on, a student-athlete who was recruited by Alabama's coaches and who receives the Bryant Scholarship, that player does not count against Alabama's scholarship numbers until he sees playing time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »
Yes. Division I school. I got redshirted my first year and played in some games my freshman year. All on an academic scholarship...
So you didn't play your first year. Had good grades and were not recruited? Or was this several years ago before these rules came into effect?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »

Fail. Fucking Faility-fail-fail.   No matter what he says.  Fail.

Why are ya'll still debating this?  It bored me three pages ago. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
So you didn't play your first year. Had good grades and were not recruited? Or was this several years ago before these rules came into effect?
I think it was leather helmet era.  I saw a movie about his life, it starred George Clooney and the dude from The Office.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »
I think it was leather helmet era.  I saw a movie about his life, it starred George Clooney and the dude from The Office.

Creed?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »

According to UA, if the player in question is a walk-on football player who was not recruited by UA's coaches, that player will never count against Alabama's scholarship numbers, even if he plays in every game for all four years.

The above doesn't mention if the person is receiving financial aid.  It only addresses whether they are a walk-on or not.  I'm guessing a walk-on that gets no financial aid of any kind doesn't apply towards the 85....which makes sense since it's an 85 scholarship limit.

If the player was a recruited walk-on, a student-athlete who was recruited by Alabama's coaches and who receives the Bryant Scholarship, that player does not count against Alabama's scholarship numbers until he sees playing time.

This sounds right too.  "Until he sees playing time".  As soon as he does seeing game time, he counts towards the 85 because he's receiving financial aid, even if it's from the Dead Bear's Fund.

Again, I'm not arguing my opinion or what I read on my favorite website.  I posted the actual NCAA rules regarding this....it seems it's pretty clear...at least to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2010, 02:18:42 PM »
Creed?

A lot of jazz cats are blind. But, they can play the piano like nobody's business. I'd like to put the piano in front of Pam, without her glasses and see what happens. I'd also like to see her topless.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
Fail. Fucking Faility-fail-fail.   No matter what he says.  Fail.

Why are ya'll still debating this?  It bored me three pages ago. 

Now now.  There are plenty of other discussions on this board that bore people to death.  

just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
Now now.  There are plenty of other discussions on this board that bore people to death.  

just sayin'.

That's why I'm qualified to speak on the topic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions