Tom Luginbill Speaks On Auburn

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Tom Luginbill Speaks On Auburn
« on: February 01, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »
http://jaygtate.blogspot.com/2010/02/tom-luginbill-speaks-on-auburn.html

Tom Luginbill speaks on Auburn
Hey everyone. Tom Luginbill, ESPN's recruiting czar, had some interesting things to say this morning/afternoon about Auburn's recruiting effort.

He also spoke about Marcus Lattimore and Michael Dyer.

Here are some highlights:

On Auburn's enterprise: ``I really believe their efforts in the spring last year in regard to their unofficial visit weekend they had, their ability to get out and make a dent, have paid dividends throughout the entire recruiting process. A lot of Auburn fans said … Big Cat Weekend, what did it do for (us) in the short term? I don't think that's the answer to the question. The answer to the question is: What did it do in the long term? Those answers have been extremely positive in regard to what it is that Auburn is selling. Whatever that may be seems to be resonating among prospects."

On possible overcrowding in the Tigers' 2010 class: ``They're a team that's going to have to play a bit of a numbers game because of the SEC rule to sign only 28. They're going to have to eventually place some kids who are not going to make it or grayshirt some kids who will count toward the next class and work the numbers a little."

On Marcus Lattimore: ``I think there are more complete, talented backs in this class than Marcus Lattimore. I don't think there is a better back in this class, or maybe the last three or four classes, that is as talented in the passing game -- out of the backfield or split out wide -- as he is.

That's one of the reasons Auburn is such a good match for him -- because of how they utilize their running backs in the passing game. He's smart enough to realize that even though there's one ball, using two backs in a scheme like one that's going to employ (tailbacks) in the passing game in the SEC -- you'd better have more than one running back. If he thinks along those lines, I think Auburn has a tremendous opportunity with him."

On comparisons between Lattimore and Michael Dyer: ``One of our concerns with Marcus Lattimore is that he's not overly shifty, he's not overly sudden. For a back of his size, there are times when he struggles to break tackles. Do I think Michael Dyer is as far along in the passing game? No, I do not … as evidenced by my previous statement. What Michael Dyer does is that he's as laterally quick and physically tough as you're going to find -- not only on an inline runner but as a runner on the perimeter. He rarely goes down upon first contact. That's what makes him so unique. You'd better have a lot of bodies around this guy if you're going to want him on the ground. The first tackler and possibly the second and third are likely not going to be able to bring him down one-on-one."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions