Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A few notes regarding recruiting

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
A few notes regarding recruiting
« on: January 28, 2010, 04:13:14 PM »
Another expert chimes in
Hey everyone. I spent some time earlier today on the HABOTN Hotline® with Chad Simmons, who is Scout.com's Southeastern recruiting manager.

My people inside the Scout organization said he was the go-to guy.

And he was.

Here is some of what he had to say. You can read more in tomorrow's editions of the Advertiser, which will feature a story on quarterback Cam Newton.

* On how Newton's signing affected Auburn's recruiting allure: ``It definitely didn't hurt. Everyone thought he was going to Mississippi State because he had such a long-standing relationship with Dan Mullen. So Auburn kind of stole him away and that was something of a surprise to everyone. It created momentum. All those kids, the recruits, they know Cam Newton. They know what kind of player he is. Signing him created a buzz. The offensive recruits think to themselves: Let's go to Auburn and play with a kid like that."

* On how Marcus Lattimore choosing Auburn would push the Tigers' reputation even higher: ``I'd say him committing to Auburn would push that class right up there near the top. Anybody who gets Lattimore, whether it's Auburn or South Carolina, will be better immediately. He's an awesome player, the total package of on-the-field ability and off-the-field presence. I say that, but I like Michael Dyer almost as much. They're both as good as it gets."

* On where Auburn would rank with Lattimore and Whitaker on board: ``That's hard to say because you never know what happens on Signing Day. There's always some surprises. If Auburn holds everyone they have right now and add those two, I'd say they're in the 2, 3, 4 range." (Auburn currently is No. 5 in the Scout.com rankings.)

* On the Tigers' class in general right now: ``It's a very good class. It's the best I've seen from Auburn. You know about the four- and five-star guys, but they have some great sleepers, too. Kenneth Carter is one. Dakota Mosley is a lot better than people think. I'm not sure he'll stay at tight end at Auburn, but he'll be good anywhere they put him. Considering it's their first full recruiting year, having to build a lot of relationships from scratch, they've done a really nice job. It's a huge success."

ALSO OF NOTE:

* Simmons spoke last night with DT Jeffrey Whitaker and believes Auburn remains the leader despite Whitaker's trip to Georgia last week. ``I sense that he'll pick Auburn, though he hasn't told me that," he said.

* Simmons believes OL James Stone will sign with Tennessee.

* He made his final assessments and adjustments yesterday, which included bumping S Demetruce McNeal from the nation's No. 70 safety to No. 31: ``Teams are going to regret not going after him because he'll be an excellent college player. Auburn offered him as a sophomore and locked him up. He had an outstanding senior season," he said.

by Jay Tate 

http://jaygtate.blogspot.com/

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

jadennis

Re: A few notes regarding recruiting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
Interesting note on McNeal (or the next "McNirfa" when Trooper speaks to him) there at the end of the article. 

Some people said the same thing about Bates last year, and he's turned out to be pretty good.  Saftey has to be one of the more difficult positions to step in and play at the college level, and Bates did a pretty good job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jmar

Re: A few notes regarding recruiting
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »
Bates was a great find. I also think Demond Washington is a real player at corner or weak safety with his speed and also his KR ability which we saw a bit of late last season. The coaches have been extremely high on Thorpe though we saw him get burned badly a few times. We have the makings of a strong secondary.

Judging from some video, I think Bonomolo will be a relentless beast.  Also got a glimpse of Chris Davis a guy that escaped virtually all the big named schools, but this kid reminds one of a tall David Palmer.

But I am just as impressed overall by the offensive linemen being brought in and the staff trying to meet needs at DT which we desperately need to supply some depth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions