Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fear and Loathing in Tuscaloosa

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Fear and Loathing in Tuscaloosa
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
I read some of that thread that Chizad posted where Saban was assumed to be a diabolical mastermind pulling the puppet strings of Auburn recruits for his own purposes.

Yesterday I heard caller after caller to Finebaum denigrate everything about Auburn from its coaching staff to its recruiting effort.  

Typical call: "Paul, who done won the nashoneel champeenship? Warn't that Bama? Uh huh. Chuckle. Them Aubies ain't never gonna larn."

Finebaum yucked it up right along with them and at various times took his own shots, ridiculing Gus Malzahn, Trooper Taylor, what it means to be an Auburn man and what the concept of the Auburn "family" represents.

One caller was allowed to ramble for about ten minutes in order to offer the theory that Auburn's recruiting can be tied to two facts: 1) Alabama done got so many good players that they don't need no more to win the next three or four nashunal champahships and 2) Auburn's in the SEC, so players that Alabama doesn't want will play there just so they can get SEC exposure and the chance to play on TV against the Tide.   Not only did Finebaum allow this asinine line of thinking to go unchallenged (if this were the case, why isn't Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, etc. also ranked highly -- and why has Bama itself lagged until the last two years?), but he also agreed with it and offered his support for the theory dismissing Auburn's current recruiting efforts as little more than riding Bama's wide coattails.  

We've heard the attacks on various radio stations and media outlets with veiled accusations about how Auburn is getting the interest of recruits.  

Today my attention was drawn to a Montgomery station where the topic of the Auburn family was the day's top item -- and it was being ridiculed as comprised of sheep, goats and cows.  This coming on a station that's typically more Auburn leaning.  

The question now is why.  Why is Alabama not simply enjoying its moment of success (fleeting as it will turn out to be) and focusing on their successes?  Why does it seem that for every comment celebrating Bama's current position, there are two more directed at downplaying Auburn?  

I've pondered this. I've spoken to a number of Bama friends, all of whom want to talk more about Auburn than they do their own team.  And I think I've finally figured out what motivates this current epidemic of Tiger bashing.  

In a word, it's fear.

They were so dismissive of and contemptuous toward the hiring of Gene Chizik (as was I) that the possibility that he might match or exceed anything that Lord and Savior Saban has done is unfathomable.  If Chizik recruits as well as Saban, that diminishes Master Saban's aura of invincibility.  It's inconceivable that Buffoon Chizik could ever match Almighty Saban at anything related to football.  If dumb old Chizik can hang with Saban, that renders their exalted one mortal -- and we just can't have that.

As long as we know our place and stay humble -- and beneath them -- they will be magnanimous.  But should we do anything to remotely challenge their perceived superiority, should our program show any signs of reaching the level at which they think theirs to be (history be damned) then their own gnawing insecurity, their loathing bred of fear will manifest itself in these type of attacks.  

They are, my friends, scared of us.  For that reason -- and I've said this a thousand times -- we must be vigilant now.  It's why when GW makes his Dye rants I can see the microscopic speck of reason buried in the bullshit.  They think they've finally turned the tables after years of struggle.  The last 30 years didn't exist, they've risen to their proper place in the universe.   They will do anything -- ANYTHING -- to protect that, including spending lavish sums of money to make sure we (and Tennessee and Florida and anyone else bold enough to challenge them, but particularly us) stay in our place.  They are searching for anything, any tiny thing they can use against us.  In 1991 it was a greedy bastard who didn't find the NFL riches he sought and buried a fine man and a great coach under a box of steaks.  A box of steaks.  Wow, that is so much worse than a house and cars and thousands of dollars, but I digress.  They are at their most dangerous now.  Some of the dumber ones on this board have ridiculed the "war" but I have been through this several times in my life.  I know it to be real.

For all they've accomplished, their most dominant state isn't euphoria, it's paranoia and fear.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:45:34 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Mr. Sensible

Re: Fear and Loathing in Tuscaloosa
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »
Longshore went on to say how Auburn has "silenced" the Alabama nation during the Tubs run and I laughed my ass off at that notion.

When, at any time during that run, were the fringe Bammers ever quiet?

Longshore is a tool.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
I grew up in this war, right smack dab in the middle of it. I saw the tables get turned on them in the 80's. And I fully understand what you are saying K. Well said.  :vn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »
Longshore went on to say how Auburn has "silenced" the Alabama nation during the Tubs run and I laughed my ass off at that notion.

When, at any time during that run, were the fringe Bammers ever quiet?

Longshore is a tool.

Always has been. I dont even like his voice. Makes you just want to stick a pencil through his eye.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:43:43 AM »

Chizik and staff have stepped it up since arriving on the Plains. Whether or not this will translate to complete and utter domination of our western rivals remains to be seen. But the average Bama fans revel as if they must use Auburn to legitimize their existence. I suppose there is no crowning achievement without an arch-villain. We are their Moriarty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jmar

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
applaud...

weeee!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 11:51:21 AM »
Well said K.  It's a typical human trait that where you find outlandish, unexplainable behavior, it is almost always due to one of two things....insecurity or delusion.  

The Bammers are double dipping it seems, being both insecure and delusional, which is why their "outlandish, unexplainable behavior" is twice as bad.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:52:21 AM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
Well said K.  It's a typical human trait that where you find outlandish, unexplainable behavior, it is almost always due to one of two things....insecurity or delusion.  

The Bammers are double dipping it seems, being both insecure and delusional, which is why their "outlandish, unexplainable behavior" is twice as bad.
Don't forget ignorance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
Don't forget ignorance.

Ooh...the elusive Triple Lindy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jadennis

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »
Don't forget ignorance.

Yeah, that's in there too, but maybe as a cause of the delusion?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »
I will tell all you barn folks what is going on. The Bear has come back to T-Town in the form of Nick Saban. But Bear is in heaven tellling these boys what schools to go all that. The Bear and Nick will allow allbarn to sign a decent class so when they whip your  :moon:  :moon: next year The Bear and Nick said we can beat you with all those 5*s it just don't matter.  :bamahomer:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »
I will tell all you barn folks what is going on. The Bear has come back to T-Town in the form of Nick Saban. But Bear is in heaven tellling these boys what schools to go all that. The Bear and Nick will allow allbarn to sign a decent class so when they whip your  :moon:  :moon: next year The Bear and Nick said we can beat you with all those 5*s it just don't matter.  :bamahomer:
**Not a Joke**
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
This is a quote from TideSports, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
This is a quote from TideSports, right?

It was written by recruiting "expert" Andrew "I suck on Saban's" Bone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

jadennis

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »
Come on dude.

I can't speak for him, but he may not have been accusing you specifically....but what you wrote, it's out there, in multiple places, posted by Alabama fans ages 12, 42, and 72, male, female, and "other".  You know it's true.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Birmingham

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 09:46:48 PM »
Some of you want so bad to believe this is serious.  I, along with the people who wrote that, are laughing at those of you that are doing exactly what it was created for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions