Sounds Pretty Damn Good

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Sounds Pretty Damn Good
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Auburn has edge on USC in Lattimore quest

Byrnes running back Marcus Lattimore said Monday that he has narrowed his college choices to USC and Auburn - and Auburn holds a slight advantage.

But contrary to several reports, he has not decided which SEC school he will attend.

"If I knew, I would have already made it public," he said. "People saying that (I've made a decision), that's just crazy. I don't know myself, but it's between Auburn and South Carolina."

The four-star prospect, according to ESPN.com, is ranked as the No. 19 overall player on the ESPNU 150 list.

He finished this past season with 260 carries for 1,898 yards and 31 touchdowns and was named the state's Mr. Football and Gatorade player of the year.

Lattimore had listed Oregon and Penn State as a part of his final four but said he has notified each school that they were no longer in the running.

He visited USC over the weekend and said he got to spend time with current players.

"I had a good time. I hung out with (USC defensive backs) Stephon Gilmore and DeVonte Holloman just about the whole time," Lattimore said.

Lattimore said Auburn coach Gene Chizik and USC coach Steve Spurrier would make in-home visits on Jan. 28 and Jan. 30, respectively.

Lattimore added that he does not feel as if he will take anymore official visits.

He said the possibility of potentially following in the footsteps of former Auburn running backs Bo Jackson and Spartanburg product Stephen Davis is exciting.

"The tradition of running backs at Auburn, that's what they are known for," Lattimore said. "I'm used to their offense. That's what we did (at Byrnes). I really like (offensive coordinator) Gus Malzahn. I know they will get me the ball in many different ways."

Lattimore said USC has its plus side as well.

"South Carolina is a great school. I feel comfortable there every time I go. They have great fans and great coaches," he said.

However, Lattimore said he's iffy on the Gamecocks' offensive direction after former offensive line coach Eric Wolford resigned and accepted the head coaching position at Youngstown State.

USC has also ranked last in the SEC in rushing the past two seasons.

"I'm unsure about the offensive mentality," he said. "I don't know about the running game and what they are trying to do. (New offensive line) coach (Shawn) Elliott seems real intense. I think he can make them better, but I know coach Wolford made them better."

Lattimore said he intends to reveal his choice Feb. 2 at his church, one day before National Signing Day.

He added his decision will be based on which school will benefit him the most.

"It's going to feel like a weight off my shoulders, to put that hat on," Lattimore said. "The academics are there at both schools, but it will come down to where I feel is the best chance to really win a championship and accomplish what I want to do."

http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/1116554.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:21:56 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Sounds Pretty Damn Good
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »
Sounds Pretty Damn Good
Especially coming from GoGamecocks.com...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
More quotes from Lattimore....

On Malzahn

“I am almost certain I am tailor-made for that offense,”

"Michael Dyer and I would be able to help him do similar to what he did when he had McFadden and Jones.”

On Dyer

“He is definitely a good guy...we talk every now and then, and he told me Auburn is where he knew he wanted to go from the first time he visited. He is a great back.”

“We would be roommates,”

On Newton

“He is a great quarterback, but that is not even the most important thing....he is a great person. He is a real good Christian, and I know he is a winner. That is what you want beside you in the backfield.”

On deciding

“I will pray about it and think about where we can have the best chance to win a national championship and an SEC Championship.”

To me, all of that sounds pretty damn good.  Especially that last part....where to win an SEC championship?  The next one at South Carolina will be their first.   Since they joined the SEC, they've never even been in position to win a particular game for a chance to play in Atlanta...in other words, they aren't even in contention.  Surely that has to stand out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
I love all of this.

What I find particularly funny though, is how we have 53 rb's on our roster. 

1. McCalleb
2. Aycock
3. Eric Smith

Additions for 2010

4. D.J. Howard
5. Michael Dyer
6. Marcus Lattimore (maybe)

Hesus Christos, I like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."