Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn-The Moody Blues of college football

jmar

Auburn-The Moody Blues of college football
« on: July 31, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
Not worthy of Rock and Roll HOF. Well I liken this constant snub of one of music's pioneering groups to the lack of respect my team has received when the polling is done. Yes they rarely did songs under 3 and a half minutes, and surely they had their trials and some problems with some key individuals in control of such recognition, but c'mon, this is a travesty when so many others are less deserving with a much smaller body of work. Discuss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Auburn-The Moody Blues of college football
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
Worst concert I have ever been too.  I actually fell asleep.  They played Knights in White Satin THREE TIMES... I am guessing trying to get the crowd to pay attention.  People were leaving after the first hour.  It was pathetic.

No, they do not belong in the RRHOF.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »

No, they do not belong in the RRHOF.

We agree on this.

As an aside, the only concert that put me to sleep: John Mayer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
We agree on this.

Your body is a wonderland.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
We agree on this.

DMB and Jimmy Buffet

Buffet was from over consumption of alcoholic drinks.  DMB was because I was bored.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
DMB and Jimmy Buffet

Buffet was from over consumption of alcoholic drinks.  DMB was because I was bored.
Hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »
Hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me.
Cheesburger in Paradise?  I figured that would be your mantra big man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »
wow - both of my posts on this thread were deleted.  :vn:

Lesson here? Never bad mouth ABBA
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
wow - both of my posts on this thread were deleted.  :vn:

Lesson here? Never bad mouth ABBA
Don't make me bring out the silver platform shoes on your ass...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 05:08:48 AM »
Wench,the Moody Blues are older than the Beatles and Stones, of course they put you to sleep, as did Page and Plant some years ago. Hell Steppenwolf still performs. How many times can we take a "Magic Carpet Ride" ?
 ABBA is a footnote next to the above mentioned, Three Dog Night and the other(s) that GH cited, Chicago maybe?

Anyway, aside from a weight issue, check out Annie Wilson as reigning femrockqueen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 12:49:39 AM »
Wench,the Moody Blues are older than the Beatles and Stones, of course they put you to sleep, as did Page and Plant some years ago. Hell Steppenwolf still performs. How many times can we take a "Magic Carpet Ride" ?
 ABBA is a footnote next to the above mentioned, Three Dog Night and the other(s) that GH cited, Chicago maybe?

Anyway, aside from a weight issue, check out Annie Wilson as reigning femrockqueen.  

Dude, Page and Plant still rock.  NOTHING about the Stones puts one to sleep - they still put on a legit show.  Robert Plant is still recording new music.  The Moody Blues SUCK.  Chicago is nothing without Peter Cetera, sad to say, but it is the truth.  Three Dog Night made no significant contribution to rock - they just played music.  They didn't sell shitloads of albums, they didn't innovate a new sound, nothing... They are not RRHOF worthy.  ABBA, like them or hate them, sold shitloads of albums and made a legit contribution, love them or hate them, to the rock sound of their time period.  

Ann Wilson is RRHOF worthy.  Heart was a pioneer for others.  That makes them qualify for RRHOF.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:50:34 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:05 AM »
I have Plant with Allison. Nothing negative to say about that nor Page, just making reference to age. Three Dog Night was a sort of bridge for kids of tight-assed parents that thought the Kingston Trio was "da bomb". It was like a building block. From that listening to "Close to the Edge", a concept album precursored by the Moodies (most of their work pre-80's), was like the difference in football then and now. The Moodies are significant also for employment of the Mellotron (pre moog synthesizer) with orchestrations while paving the way for Yes, Alan Parsons and much of Pink Floyd post Syd Barrett which was something very different.

Chicago made a name for itself early on with brass ala Blood, Sweat and Tears and was a nice change of pace in style before turning to commercial ballads of Cetera, which I must say I like. Rolling Stone cronies comprise the RRHOF in Cleveland, not musicians. In my era, everyone had Bread (Gates as to Cetera) and kids loved the Moody Blues. Hell Justin Hayward alone could stand on his own as a lead for many, many groups that fell out of sight. I'm not saying that he is McCartney or Lennon, but he would have stood in nicely I would think.

When I'm not shouting at kids to get off my lawn, I try to keep current in music among other things. But whenever I hear something today I can generally parse the melody from something I have heard before poorly disguised as something new. Van Morrison says it right I think when he states that everything's been done. So when a friend of Country Western asks me to listen to something new I might denigrate the artist a bit by calling him "Peach Ice-Cream" but I do it moreso because of Hank's contribution, not the newcomers lack of originality.

True ABBA had mega-sales worldwide but in the grand scheme of things their true contribution might rate alongside of Nirvana which was shortlived but very good all the same. I might like Robbie Robertson's version of "Broken Arrow" simply because of the coarseness of his voice over Rod Stewart's version which is more marketable, but Robertson has produced much more music of various artists than the one or two big tunes a year that Stewart has made a living from over the decades that he could not pen himself.

There is no denying the commercial appeal of some of the above mentioned artists over others; or Notre Dame, Southern Cal or Alabama's brand name in football to the masses over Auburn, which is, to date, more regional. Suffice to say we know what we like and that the accolades and titles are more of a popular politicized nature. There are recruits that still claim that they know little of AU.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »

Dude, Page and Plant still rock

Fucking right they do!

NOTHING about the Stones puts one to sleep - they still put on a legit show.

Again - damn right.

Three Dog Night made no significant contribution to rock - they just played music.  They didn't sell shitloads of albums, they didn't innovate a new sound, nothing.
Blasphemy - how dare you say they werent innovative. "Three part harmony" was a great sound. As jmar said, the Kingston Trio was outdated. If for nothing else, 3 dog was great party music.

ABBA, like them or hate them, sold shitloads of albums and made a legit contribution, love them or hate them, to the rock sound of their time period.

Keyword here being 'rock'. They are not rock. Taylor Swift and Britney Spears also sell shitloads of records and have a contribution, but there material for the most part is junk put together in sound studios with synthesizers, pitch control software and sound engineers on laptops.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
Blasphemy - how dare you say they werent innovative. "Three part harmony" was a great sound. As jmar said, the Kingston Trio was outdated. If for nothing else, 3 dog was great party music. 

Look - I like them.  Never Been To Spain is one of my favs.  But I am going to guess that this is the reason TDN is not in the RRHOF:

As its members did not write music, nearly every song Three Dog Night recorded was a cover.  Notable hit covers include Randy Newman "Mama Told Me Not to Come" (US #1), Laura Nyro "Eli's Coming" (US #10), Russ Ballard of Argent "Liar" (US #7), Hoyt Axton ("Joy to the World" (US #1) and "Never Been To Spain"), Elton John and Bernie Taupin ("Lady Samantha" & "Your Song"), John Hiatt "Sure As I'm Sittin' Here" (US #16), Bush "I Can Hear You Callin'", Leo Sayer "The Show Must Go On" (US #4) and Harry Nilsson's "One" (US #5). Elton John later credited their cover of "Your Song" with being a major factor in catapulting him to stardom. They also popularized songs by Paul Williams "An Old Fashioned Love Song" (US #4) and "Out in the Country" (US #15) as well as "Easy to be Hard" (US #4) from the musical Hair.

They didn't write their own stuff, they just gave other people's stuff a semi-new sound.  Not innovative.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »
Look - I like them.  Never Been To Spain is one of my favs.  But I am going to guess that this is the reason TDN is not in the RRHOF:

They didn't write their own stuff, they just gave other people's stuff a semi-new sound.  Not innovative.

Never Been to Spain is fantastic...I hear the women are insane there.   :clap:

You are right on the song writing part. Negron and Hutton even joke that they made a ton of songwriters famous! They didn't really cover a lot of songs others had done before, so much as they just didn't write their own shit. Period. But damn - they made for a good party.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
Never Been to Spain is fantastic...I hear the women are insane there.   :clap:

You are right on the song writing part. Negron and Hutton even joke that they made a ton of songwriters famous! They didn't really cover a lot of songs others had done before, so much as they just didn't write their own shit. Period. But damn - they made for a good party.
Actually, this DOES apply to me:

I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.
They tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember...

My dad was in the Air Force, stationed in Altus, OK when I was born... they left there to move back to bammer when I was 3 months old and I really don't remember.  So I have always liked that song for that reason.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 04:34:13 AM »
I will concede only that the Moody Blues were lacking in live performance but never in original material and impact over the likes of so many undeserving others such as ABtakethelongwayhomegratingonmybrainlikeacontinuousloopofphukingrockytopBA-does.

ABBA is like foreign Manilow on a caffiene high while someone clutches his crotch at the piano.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

I'm not interested in the over commercialization of a few albeit catchy cutey-pie tunes for the sake of the entire rock and roll realm. Discussing ABBA in the same context as the Moody Blues is like having to hear about Frank Beamer's special teams as a footnote to the discussion of each and every college football season.

ABBA, and others are an asterisk at best. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 09:28:23 AM »
I will concede only that the Moody Blues were lacking in live performance but never in original material and impact over the likes of so many undeserving others such as ABtakethelongwayhomegratingonmybrainlikeacontinuousloopofphukingrockytopBA-does.

ABBA is like foreign Manilow on a caffiene high while someone clutches his crotch at the piano.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

I'm not interested in the over commercialization of a few albeit catchy cutey-pie tunes for the sake of the entire rock and roll realm. Discussing ABBA in the same context as the Moody Blues is like having to hear about Frank Beamer's special teams as a footnote to the discussion of each and every college football season.

ABBA, and others are an asterisk at best.

I couldn't have said it better my friend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE