Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Malzahn to La Tech?

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Malzahn to La Tech?
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »
http://auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2010/1/15/would-moving-to-louisiana-tech-make-sense-for-malzahn

Would moving to Louisiana Tech make sense for Malzahn?
By Phillip Marshall, Senior Writer

First a disclaimer: Other than to say "what's up" when I saw him at the football offices today, I have not talked to Gus Malzahn recently. I have not asked him or anyone close to him if he has any interest in being the next head coach at Louisiana Tech.

That being said, while he might be curious enough to see what if anything they have to offer, would it really be wise for Malzahn to leave his job as Auburn's offensive coordinator to be the head coach at Louisiana Tech?

Will Muschamp was the defensive coordinator at Auburn when the job came open the last time. It was offered to him before it was offered to Derek Dooley. The money was very low, relatively speaking, and he turned it down to stay at Auburn.

The bottom line: Malzahn would have to want a head coaching job really, really bad to leave for Louisiana Tech.

Don't get me wrong. I can see why Malzahn is an attractive candidate. He's had outstanding offenses everywhere he's been. He's a terrific recruiter. And he is a good man.

And that's why, with a little patience, he can do better.

With Louisiana Tech's pay scale, I don't believe money would be the driving force. I'm fairly certain Auburn would make it worth his while to stay put. And with another good year or two for Auburn's offense, Malzahn could get a far better job than Louisiana Tech.

Dooley has made a quantum leap by going from Louisiana Tech to Tennessee. But that's more about Tennessee's desperation than about Louisiana Tech suddenly becoming a place that big-time schools go to look for coaches. I mean, Dooley was at best the fifth choice. That doesn't mean he won't be successful. It just means this was an unusual situation.

I am told that Malzahn is one of 4-5 coaches in whom Louisiana Tech has interest. Where he stands in that group, I don't have a clue.

But unless I miss my guess, Malzahn will be calling plays on the Auburn sideline when the Tigers open the 2010 season against Arkansas State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Re: Malzahn to La Tech?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
Someone call Marshall. 

According to the Louisiana Tech mod on their Rivals site, Malzahn isn't interested.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
Coach Z isn't going anywhere.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
Well I want Malzahn to stay of course but as long as Phillip is making suggestions why not East Carolina in place of Skip Holtz or to Tennessee as the next coach in waiting,

Or,  what seems to be fashionable, just have your agent contact ESPN and have it arranged for you to be a special guest analyst  at a large venue game and do the deal before you leave town.

That South Florida job was made for Tubs.   Lubbock?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
Wow. 

That was a stupid article. 

Prowler = Phillip Marshall. 

I haven't talked to anybody, I haven't heard anything and I haven't seen anything. I don't know anything. But here's a big ass pile of poo about something that I've made up in my own head. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:16:30 PM »
The skreets say Malzahn isnt going anywhere for a while. By a while meaning for atleast 2010.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 04:48:32 PM »
Iv'e seen it quoted by several posters on Rivals and Scout (including a few contributing writers from other Rivals affiliated sites) that Malzahn currently believes they've put Auburn in the postion to seriously compete for a title and he's staying at Auburn for the foreseeable future to see it through.

In other words, I THINK we're safe for now, but if he has success, he's going to be a coaching target for many schools till he finally bites on an offer in the next year or so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions