Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

'SEXTING'

jadennis

Re: 'SEXTING'
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:26 PM »
When I was in 6th grade, I went to Washington D.C. for a week with my class, no parents.  When I was in 7th grade I spent a week in Hoover for a Junior United Nations Assembly, no parents.  In the 8th grade?  Beta Club convention in Montgomery for a week, no parents.

I did all three without a cell phone, and lived to type about it.  

Cell phones are convenient, I agree.  But without them, civilization would carry on.  

P.S.  I just stood on the side of a busy highway for 2 hours diverting traffic because of a 4 car accident with serious injuries.  The cause?  You guessed it, a 16 year old texting.

Token, I don't think anyone here would argue that it is a life sustaining necessity for a 13-15 year old to have a phone.  But the "we got by without them when we were kids" argument isn't a good one in my opinion.  We also all got by without check-cards/credit cards, pay at the pump, online banking, cable TV, etc back in the day too.  We got by without the internet...especially the internet on my phone accessible from anywhere in the world.  

However, all of the things I mentioned above, when used responsibly, have made a lot of functions of life much, much more convenient.  Sure, they can all also ruin your life.  But having your 13-15 year old carry a cell phone can be of great benefit....if used responsibly.  I do agree that it's the parents job to see to it that guidelines are in place to ensure the responsibility.  But that's true of everything in our child's lives...whether it's how they use their brains, bodies, words, attitudes, or how they use their cell phone, cell phone camera, and texting....in the end, it's our job to guide them to making good decisions.

It's similar to "the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil"...money is not the root...but the love of money.  The cell phone in the hands of a young teenager is nothing but a help to all involved...the cell phone in the hands of an irresponsible teen could potentially lead to trouble.  I even add "potentially" because it's not as if the cell phone is inherently dangerous.  It's not as if we're giving them a gun or drugs and hoping they're responsible.  

Anyway, to me, in the end, we can't really have a definitive answer to this anyway.  Like most things in life...as kids grow up, different kids will be of different maturity levels and be able to handle certain responsibilities at different times.  There are some 40 year olds that aren't responsible enough to have a cell phone.  And there are some 15 year olds that I would trust to manage my money before some 50 years olds.  So for each of us with kids, we're going to make those calls as the time comes, and the right answer for you may be different than the right answer for someone else.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:07:50 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:28 AM »
Sexting between consenting adults is great.

I get nekkid pics all the time.

Sometimes I share them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Token

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
Sexting between consenting adults is great.

I get nekkid pics all the time.

Sometimes I share them.

You should always share.  The problem doesn't arise until daddy's 14 year old princess sends a pic of her tits to the senior quarterback in her high school, who then shares with all of his friends.  Then, when daddy finds his princess is a whore, he wants the senior to be locked up and registered as a sex offender.

Which is why the thread was started in the first place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 03:38:47 PM »
You should always share.  The problem doesn't arise until daddy's 14 year old princess sends a pic of her tits to the senior quarterback in her high school, who then shares with all of his friends.  Then, when daddy finds his princess is a whore, he wants the senior to be locked up and registered as a sex offender.

Which is why the thread was started in the first place.

The guy who gets the picture has to delete it if he knows the age of the sender.  AND he should alert the authorities so he stays out of trouble. 

That's the only way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
The guy who gets the picture has to delete it if he knows the age of the sender.  AND he should alert the authorities so he stays out of trouble. 

That's the only way.

I agree and you agree, BUT. Tits is the tits and a raging hormonal teenager is going to keep the pic around for a good looking at.  mean, hell its' free tits form a girl that is in his dating range. +/- 3 yrs.

At some point in time, the individual showing it off needs to be held responsible.

If said 14 yr old comes out in public and takes her shirt off and shakes the money makers at all involved, can all involved take it back. No, Its done been shook. And that person would get arrested for public indecency. In that case, it is the person showing the tits that is responsible. IT should be the same in sexting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 11:29:26 PM »
This just will not be a concern for me.  K and S are going to be homeschooled in my backyard by three Amish women.  Problem solved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »
This just will not be a concern for me.  K and S are going to be homeschooled in my backyard by three Amish women.  Problem solved.

Rumspringa.  Just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 11:36:32 PM »
Rumspringa.  Just sayin'.
Their teachers may be Amish, but I sure as hell am not.  No Rumspringa in my backyard...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
Their teachers may be Amish, but I sure as hell am not.  No Rumspringa in my backyard...

Well, if you need some security devices not available to the general public in the future, let me know.  I'll hook you up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions