Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jim Leavitt out at South Florida.....Tuberville?

jadennis

Jim Leavitt out at South Florida.....Tuberville?
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:02:24 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4807719

Jim Leavitt has been fired as South Florida's football coach, sources close to the coaching staff have told ESPN.com.

Leavitt
Leavitt

Leavitt has been under investigation by the university for allegedly grabbing and striking special teams player Joel Miller at halftime of a November game against Louisville.

The allegations originally were made by Joel Miller's father, Paul, in an online report. Paul Miller has backtracked from original comments that alluded to contact Leavitt allegedly made with his son's neck and face.

Last month, Joel Miller said allegations that he was physically harmed by Leavitt were not true.

"I don't think anything should happen to him," Miller told ESPN's Joe Schad on Dec. 16. "Me and Coach Leavitt are fine. People can say different things but he only grabbed my shoulder pads to motivate me, because he's a passionate guy. He never apologized because he had nothing to apologize for."

Bennett: Ugly End For Leavitt

Similar to Texas Tech's situation with Mike Leach, it appears that the Joel Miller investigation was more of a last straw than anything else with Jim Leavitt and South Florida, Brian Bennett writes. Blog

South Florida's findings of its investigation into the alleged incident will be released later Friday, AOL Fanhouse reports.

Leavitt is the latest coach to be linked to supposed mistreatment of players. A family's complaint about how Mike Leach treated their son after a concussion ultimately led to Leach's recent firing by Texas Tech, and Mark Mangino resigned at Kansas in December amid allegations that he mistreated his players.

Miller told Schad last month that he plans to remain with South Florida's program.

"It's been real hard especially on my family," Miller said. "But my plan is to stay and play here."

Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney, former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville, who has strong ties in the state of Florida from his tenure on Miami's coaching staff, and Michigan offensive coordinator Calvin Magee are expected to be candidates to replace Leavitt, a source told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel.

Good fit for Tuberville?  However, they were good friends, might be weird to Tuberville to take over Leavitt's job.
He would hate having to play up north in the cold, but he could do well there, and getting to the BCS out of the Big East is attractive for any coach.  Plus, we wouldn't have to cross paths with him, which I like. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:04:55 AM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Jim Leavitt out at South Florida.....Tuberville?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
I think Tubs would be a great fit for USF.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jadennis

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »
I think Tubs would be a great fit for USF.

That and I would think he'd be an attractive candidate too following a guy getting fired for being a hot head.  Tuberville is cool and calm and would be a good addition to any program that feels they may have an image problem.

A note on the Texas Tech job....anyone catch last night when they mentioned that the Texas Tech president is an Alabama grad?  He wants to interview Kirby Smart. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
That and I would think he'd be an attractive candidate too following a guy getting fired for being a hot head.  Tuberville is cool and calm and would be a good addition to any program that feels they may have an image problem.

A note on the Texas Tech job....anyone catch last night when they mentioned that the Texas Tech president is an Alabama grad?  He wants to interview Kirby Smart. 

I caught that.

I agree that it would be a good hire for USF and a good fit for Tubbs.  He runs a clean program and even though I had my issues with him, he is a good coach.  I wonder how many and who from the old staff would go with him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

jadennis

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »
I caught that.

I agree that it would be a good hire for USF and a good fit for Tubbs.  He runs a clean program and even though I had my issues with him, he is a good coach.  I wonder how many and who from the old staff would go with him?

If I was USF I would put it in Tuberville's contract that he is not allowed to hire Ensminger, not even as a ball boy, and if Nall is hired, he is only allowed to be o-line coach, nothing more.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
If I was USF I would put it in Tuberville's contract that he is not allowed to hire Ensminger, not even as a ball boy, and if Nall is hired, he is only allowed to be o-line coach, nothing more.

Nice disclaimer but you know I would just go ahead and put both on the do not hire list, just in case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »
This is the one I always thought suited him best only Leavitt was in the way. Problem solved with recruiting too because there is plenty of talent to go around. I seriously think this is Tuberville's new home.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:20:16 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions