Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

In Defense Of Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: In Defense Of Jay Jacobs
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
He also hired Richard Quick to first replace Marsh, but unfortunately he passed away after his second season here (in which he won us a NC).

So that's 6/6 outstanding hires, IMO.
Bingo.  That's what I don't get about why some people are hatin' on Jay Jacobs...sure he looks like a water head, but so what....sure he sounds like he needs to take speech classes, but, again, so what.  Let the fuckin' retarded bammers make fun of the Honest Way to hire a coach...through the front door.  I don't care, just as long as JJ can continue to make hires, if need be, like the ones that he has made thusfar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jadennis

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »
I think we have to see how these hires turn out.  Most of them are in their first couple years of competition.  They all seem to have their programs headed in the right direction, but we'll have to see how far their ability can take them.

Here's what Chuck Person had to say after the Barbee hire:

"Jay is a first-class individual, he conducted the best interview I’ve ever been a part of. I understand why people tell me he is one of the best ADsin the SEC, if not the country. He has really taken the athletic department to a different level in all sports."

"At the end of the day, Tony probably had the best interview, and he has been successful at UTEP.  He probably is the best guy to coach at Auburn. I wish him nothing but the best."

That's high praise from Person....who, has shown himself to be a classy guy through this process.  I love the love he has for Auburn.

"I’m institutionalized when it comes to the NBA, the only job I would take would be the Auburn job. That hasn’t changed. If I’m healthy and the opportunity presents itself again, I’ll leave to take the Auburn job again. It would be the only college job I would take."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
He also hired Richard Quick to first replace Marsh, but unfortunately he passed away after his second season here (in which he won us a NC).

So that's 6/6 outstanding hires, IMO.

Good one. I had forgotten he hired Quick. And yes - he was a good one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »
I sense Person has other irons in the fire or just isn't quite ready to leave his current situation. I don't think he "lost" the job as some put it. He might actually enjoy being around pro ball more than the college game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 09:51:11 AM »
I just wanted to bump this thread.

Since Barbee has made room for two recruits and filled those spots with the best player in the state and the 11th best power forward in the nation.

Also since yesterday's baseball victory gives Auburn one more win than all of last season with 10 regular season games remaining. And we went from a trying to end a 7 year SEC tournament drought to talking about winning the whole thing in the same season. We're also looking good to get to host the NCAA regional. Last year Auburn had a record 102 homeruns. This year, we're on pace to break that record at 92 with 10 games left in regular season.

Baseball is back. I think it's safe to officially add it to the list of sports Jacobs hires have turned around completely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2010, 10:03:37 AM »
I just wanted to bump this thread.

Since Barbee has made room for two recruits and filled those spots with the best player in the state and the 11th best power forward in the nation.

Also since yesterday's baseball victory gives Auburn one more win than all of last season with 10 regular season games remaining. And we went from a trying to end a 7 year SEC tournament drought to talking about winning the whole thing in the same season. We're also looking good to get to host the NCAA regional. Last year Auburn had a record 102 homeruns. This year, we're on pace to break that record at 92 with 10 games left in regular season.

Baseball is back. I think it's safe to officially add it to the list of sports Jacobs hires have turned around completely.

You make a strong case that Jacobs is not quite the mouth-breather he once appeared to be.

He may, in fact, be pretty good at this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 10:04:58 AM »
My opinion of JJ is changing.....Let's keep this up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
My opinion of JJ is changing.....Let's keep this up.

Who actually hired Jacobs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »

Who actually hired Jacobs?

Baird? Housel? Dye? PTB?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »
Baird? Housel? Dye? PTB?

Obviously it was someone who loves and cares about the institution with all of their heart.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
President Gouge?

So Kaos, how do you feel the athletics at Auburn University are doing?

I'll await your answer...oh yeah, I'm holding my breath also.........
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
President Gouge?

So Kaos, how do you feel the athletics at Auburn University are doing?

I'll await your answer...oh yeah, I'm holding my breath also.........
Yeah, that's what I thought....Speechless.  :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought....Speechless.  :)

Baiting a dude who isn't even here?

You're better than that, Spanish.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
Baiting a dude who isn't even here?

You're better than that, Spanish.
Or at least give him more than three minutes to respond.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »
That's what she said...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »
Still Speechless...I'd be willing to bet that he'll be speechless from now until this time tomorrow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »
I am no fan of Jay Jacobs as AD. 

There is no doubt of two things at this point and one of them will not change.  He is an Auburn man and he has had success as the AD.  It remains to be seen whether or not he becomes the AD that many of you are heralding as the next coming.  Long term results matter much more to me than short term.

just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »

There is no doubt of two things at this point and one of them will not change.  He is an Auburn man and he has had success as the AD.  It remains to be seen whether or not he becomes the AD that many of you are heralding as the next coming.  Long term results matter much more to me than short term.

just sayin'.

Hey.

You.

Get off of my cloud.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
Hey.

You.

Get off of my cloud.

THIS

Puff puff pass
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »

There is no doubt of two things at this point and one of them will not change.  He is an Auburn man and he has had success as the AD.  It remains to be seen whether or not he becomes the AD that many of you are heralding as the next coming.  Long term results matter much more to me than short term.

just sayin'.
Ok, Kaos.

I can kind of understand the second paragraph explaining that you don't think he's the greatest AD of all time. Fair enough.

But the first sentence? How can you hate the guy? Regardless of whether his coaches end up winning 13 national championships each for their respective sports, they are all either turning their programs around completely or sustaining the hard-to-follow success of their predecessors. Chizik, Barbee, Pawlowski, Fortner, Quick, and Hawke have all been amazing hires by that criteria. I guess my question is...what more do you want?

Look, I've heard the argument that Chizik may possibly one day prove to be a great (or even Auburn's greatest) coach, but no matter what, he will never be a great hire.

Bullshit.

He was the right hire for the right time. It may not have been the easy thing to see, but that's exactly why I think Jacobs knows more than anyone on this message board about hiring coaches. We could have hired Turner Gill, and been a flash in the pan PR stunt, but not have proven very successful on the field, as evidenced by his next coaching year by going 3-7 in the MAC (and that was the guy I wanted most). Other potential hires that year were similarly more about getting a "name of the now" rather than a coach as innovative, and with the ability to put together this stellar staff, who in turn put together a stellar recruiting class. If Chizik leaves tomorrow, it will be too soon, but he will have left us in better shape than we were in the day before his hire.

I'll leave you with this BleacherReport article I ran across the other day, which I think supports my position on this.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/389815-chizik-much-like-pat-dye-eager-to-prove-himself
Gene Chizik Much Like Pat Dye, Eager To Prove Himself
Michael Abbott

Contributor Written on May 09, 2010
If you are old enough to remember coach Dye's hiring, it was much like the hiring of Gene Chizik—Who? How is this guy going to compete against Bear Bryant? Yeah he's been in the SEC, but big deal. East Carolina, where's that at? Wyoming, they play football?

Dye wasn't a household name. He wasn't the first choice, Vince Dooley was. But he had a fire and ambition to coach and much like Gene Chizik, he had something to prove. They would never admit it in public, but the coach across the state was the one to prove it to.

The parallels of Dye and Chizik are obvious. Not many good players to work with, a strong coach at Bama, and not many in state recruits are coming to Auburn. And if you remember, Dye said one sentence that gave the Auburn people hope. When asked how long would it take him to beat Alabama, Dye said "60 minutes."

Gene Chizik has done the same. But not with words, his actions. He went head to head right away with Bama over recruits, something the former staff didn't even try too much to do. Top players from the region were thinking about Auburn for a change. Auburn lost out on many, but one could see and sense a different attitude in recruiting.

Dye paved the way, went head to head with 'Bama, got his share, and in two years was playing in the Sugar Bowl for a national title chance. Dye knew he didn't have to get all the best players, but you gotta fight for your share, not lay back and let everyone else reap the rewards.

How do you know when a Auburn coach is doing well? When the other side takes time to bash him. Coach Dye was hated by 'Bama fans, Chizik is well on his way. With a couple more good recruiting classes, he'll be the most hated man in Alabama proving to them, and  the Alabama media, that yeah you can win at Auburn, something Pat Dye proved already.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:32:49 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions