• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Chizik's One Year Approval Ratings
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2009/12/one_year_in_has_auburn_accepte.html

One year in, Auburn has accepted Gene Chizik
By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News
December 14, 2009, 8:15AM

AUBURN -- Jay Jacobs figured the hiring of Gene Chizik as his football coach might raise a few eyebrows. What Auburn's athletics director didn't expect was the firestorm that ensued.

The national media questioned the hiring of Chizik, who had led Iowa State to only five wins in two years, and raised the issue of race because the school passed over University of Buffalo coach Turner Gill. They, and many Auburn fans, believed the school could have and should have made a better hire.

But the one-year anniversary of Chizik's hire passed quietly Sunday not with a team in disarray, but with the Tigers preparing for a New Year's Day bowl game and what may be their best recruiting class in years.

Jacobs welcomed the anniversary by noting a turnaround season. And many fans and commentators have a different perspective now.

A Birmingham News online poll during the weekend found 80.3 percent of the 2,834 people who responded said they like the hire, a dramatic increase over the 15.1 percent who liked the choice when The News asked the same question one year ago today. Only 5.2 percent of this year's respondents said they don't like the hire, down from 47.4 a year ago. A third, wait-and-see option dropped from 37.5 percent a year ago to 14.5 percent this year.

The mood a year ago was reflected in other ways too. Charles Barkley, not an expert on football but one of the school's most recognizable former athletes, attacked the hiring. An ESPN headline said, "Auburn Tigers downgrade in hiring Gene Chizik." Chizik was talk show and Internet fodder.

It got so bad that former coach Pat Dye felt compelled three days after the hiring to rally the troops, sending an e-mail to members of Tigers Unlimited, the school's athletics fundraising organization, asking fans to support Chizik.

Nobody faulted Chizik for taking the job. Jacobs was the point man in the hiring, a process that included interviews of at least eight candidates, and was the man caught in the immediate fallout.

"It bothered me. It bothered me because I grew up Auburn," Jacobs said. "It bothered me, but it didn't bother me to the point where I lost focus of what the task was at hand."

The task at hand, he said, was to change the culture of the team that finished so poorly the season before.

"I knew it wouldn't necessarily be a popular choice at the time, but I thought that people would see the same things I saw," Jacobs said. "I've had an advantaged seat here. I've seen the atmosphere, I've seen the culture around this program. I knew what kind of change we needed."

A year later, he said, Chizik "has changed that culture inside the department, and that's phenomenal in itself."

A year later, the media have moved on to other topics.

Tony Barnhart of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and CBS, and a measured national voice, wondered in print a year ago whether Chizik was the right candidate at a time when Auburn was struggling and Alabama was surging.

"I think the national perspective in the beginning was Auburn hired a 5-19 football coach," Barnhart said last week. "They were looking at the reaction within Alabama. Now, I think you can say, 'You know what? The guy had a plan.' He hired an innovative guy on offense (Gus Malzahn), a proven guy on defense (Ted Roof). I believe the national perspective is that Auburn is better than a lot of people thought they'd be. Were they really, really good? No, but nobody thought they'd be really, really good.

"If you listened to the fans, Armageddon was coming. But what happens? They play Alabama down to the wire. All in all, it was not a bad first year."

The change in perspective came, he said, early in the season.

"I think that might have been when they went on the road and beat Tennessee. I think people said, 'OK, maybe these guys know what they're doing,'" Barnhart said.

Changing minds

Bo Jackson won a Heisman Trophy at Auburn and has embraced Chizik, probably spending more time around the team this season than the previous 10 combined. But it was another one of Auburn's famous former athletes, former basketball star Barkley, who was most quoted after Chizik's hiring. He turned up the heat when he said Auburn didn't hire Gill because he is black.

A year later, Barkley hasn't toned down his criticism, but reminds people of his original point.

"I never said a bad word about Gene Chizik, and I never will. It was about the hiring process, and the lack of minority coaches," Barkley said. "I said the exact same thing when Sylvester Croom was passed over in favor of Mike Shula (at Alabama). That was an even bigger travesty."

Barkley said hiring Gill "would have given Auburn instant national recognition. I said Auburn couldn't get just a good coach. Auburn had to make a splash. Turner would've been the right hire."

Gill was on his way to an 8-6 season when he interviewed with Auburn. A year later, Buffalo is 5-7, and Gill just became Kansas' coach.

Unlike Jackson, Barkley said he hasn't spoken to Chizik.

"I'm the black sheep of the family. They don't reach out to me anymore," Barkley said.

But, he added, "He's the Auburn coach, and I'm pulling for him."

Other Auburn supporters had other concerns about the choice of Chizik.

Former Auburn quarterback Stan White said he was surprised that Chizik was Auburn's choice, "not because I didn't think he could do it, but simply because his name surfaced so late in the process.

"... He's unified the whole Auburn base in a short time. I don't know if he's turned the corner yet, but it's pretty obvious he's excited the fan base and a lot of the ex-ballplayers as well."

Another ex-player agreed.

"I was guilty, along with probably 90 percent of the fans, of just being really surprised at the choice," said former quarterback Ben Leard. "... Unfortunately, Coach Chizik's forecast was measured on his stint at Iowa State. Based off of that, the future did not look very bright."

Leard says now he is "unbelievably surprised at how well they've done. You could tell they were going to be successful by the staff he hired."

Both White and Leard said they're pleased that Chizik has been aggressive in recruiting top talent.

"He's taken some outside-the-box thinking when it comes to getting Auburn's name out there," White said.

Fans optimistic

Most of the fans who left comments with The Birmingham News' online poll were optimistic for Auburn's future.

"Just think," wrote pesportsman, "how it felt to be an Auburn fan this time last year and think about the massive change that has taken place over the last 365 days. How can anyone feel like he hasn't done a great job?"

Auburn is 7-5 this season with its share of close wins and three SEC losses by a touchdown or less. Chizik hasn't changed his demeanor during the season of ups and downs, and maintains he doesn't worry what others say.

"I chose to isolate myself from all the external things out there, both positive and negative," he said. "I don't think you can let those things affect you one way or the other. You lay down a plan on what you need to do, and you stay focused on that plan. ... I don't know who the critics are, and I don't know what they think.

"I know I won't be able to control any of those things. It's not even something I give any regard to."

Not a vindication

Jacobs played for Dye at Auburn.

"I thought going through three-a-days would be the toughest thing I'd ever go through," Jacobs said.

Then he went about hiring a football coach.

"My whole goal goes back to what I told our players the Thursday night after Tommy Tuberville left: 'I'm going to hire the best coach, and I'm going to be relentless in doing so.'"

It was a whirlwind 10 days of interviews.

Late in the process, Jacobs interviewed Chizik in Dallas on a Thursday. Jacobs and President Jay Gogue interviewed him again two days later in Memphis. Word that he'd be hired soon leaked out.

"I knew I could walk into my house and see my three daughters and say, 'It's not popular, but I know I'm doing what's best for this team,'" Jacobs said.

A year later, Jacobs believes "the final analysis of this year is we couldn't have picked a better person to lead this team."

He is not looking for vindication in Auburn's winning record and bowl trip, he said.

"The thing that gives me the most satisfaction are these 14 seniors get a chance to go out and hold their head high," Jacobs said. "That isn't always the case for a senior class after a coaching change. I'm as happy as I can be for those guys. I don't need any vindication."

Jacobs said he senses Chizik has won over most fans.

"When we lost to our in-state rival, and our fans stayed in the stadium and chanted, 'It's great to be an Auburn Tiger,' any person will look at that and say there's a positive perception at what this team has done."

As for Chizik, the ride so far "has been great.

"It's been a journey, and a semi-unique one, but I've been blessed and I really feel like it's been a great first year."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

Re: Chizik's One Year Approval Ratings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:54:39 AM »
As if Auburn fans had a choice!

They weren't going to can the guy one year in and that was obvious.

The choices were: 1)Continue to support Auburn 2)Be an asshole and jump on the bammer wagon 3)Give up college football.

Folks, what if 7-8 wins is as good as it gets?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:17:29 PM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »
I don't like the hire. 

People are such sheep.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
I don't like the hire. 

People are such sheep.

Baaaahh, baaaaahhhh, baaahhhumbug. I figured this was an alley-hoop for you Koas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
What if it's not?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
This time last year I had a pitchfork in hand ready to maul Jay Jacobs.  A year later, and I'm pleased with the job that Chizik has done since he's arrived on campus.  We have the potential to land a top-5 recruiting class and the season was about what I expected.  I'm cautiously optimistic about the future.  

I still want to maul Jay Jacobs though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:39:31 PM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »
We have the potential to land a top-5 recruiting class and the season was about what I expected.  

Maybe 10-15, but top 5 is getting into LSU/USC land and I don't think it's reasonable to expect such from a staff that went 7-5 in the regular season.

10-15 would be nice and would start to build a talent base here. Listen to what the coaches say. Ted Roof has said he's never coached a team this thin in his whole career and that dude has been around. That takes a long time to rebuild.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »
This time last year I had a pitchfork in hand ready to maul Jay Jacobs.  A year later, and I'm pleased with the job that Chizik has done since he's arrived on campus.  We have the potential to land a top-5 recruiting class and the season was about what I expected.  I'm cautiously optimistic about the future.  

I still want to maul Jay Jacobs though.

Yes
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

Seven wins is better than five.  This is really all we have to go with at this point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »
Maybe 10-15, but top 5 is getting into LSU/USC land and I don't think it's reasonable to expect such from a staff that went 7-5 in the regular season.

10-15 would be nice and would start to build a talent base here. Listen to what the coaches say. Ted Roof has said he's never coached a team this thin in his whole career and that dude has been around. That takes a long time to rebuild.
You may not expect it, but I demand it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 01:43:06 PM »
Seven wins is better than five.  This is really all we have to go with at this point.

You better poll the jury.  Mitigating factors and all. 

2008:  Lost to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Ole Miss.  Beat Tennessee and Mississippi State. 

2009: Lost to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Kentucky, Arkansas.  Beat Tennessee, Mississippi State and Ole Miss.

I'm not raising the flag of success over either endeavor.  That's simply unacceptable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
I'm not raising the flag of success over either endeavor.  That's simply unacceptable.

This
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
You better poll the jury.  Mitigating factors and all. 

2008:  Lost to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Ole Miss.  Beat Tennessee and Mississippi State. 

2009: Lost to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Kentucky, Arkansas.  Beat Tennessee, Mississippi State and Ole Miss.

Would a paper-thin roster count as a "mitigating factor"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »

We're in the top 10 now, so why would it be unreasonable for us to finish in the top 5?  Especially when there is a great chance to land a few very highly regarded and star heavy players before, or by February?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
As most of you have figured out by now I figured that the bastard would have been gone by Halloween.
I was wrong on that count. But am I wrong that he is NOT a good hire for Auburn? On that I sure as hell am not wrong in the least. I'm not interested in a single season where we couldn't win because we were weak on players....unless we won then it was despite being weak. Gene Chizik as a head coach is a losing proposition, a long term losing proposition. Now that he is going to be here for at least 4 years he will leave the program in complete shambles. Fuck him. And Mr. Sensible there is a 4th choice support Auburn by opposing chizik and his monkey fucking handlers. That is the path I am proud to take.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

jadennis

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »
We're in the top 10 now, so why would it be unreasonable for us to finish in the top 5?  Especially when there is a great chance to land a few very highly regarded and star heavy players before, or by February?

It's possible, but not likely.  We have 23 committed now, with just a few to add (although it could be as many as 10 depending on how many sign in January and count towards last years class).  

But if you look right behind us in the rankings, USC has only 14 and is ranked #9.  Georgia has 19.  Notre Dame 18, Florida State 19.  So those teams are going to add players and could very well pass us (at least USC and Georgia).  

So I expect we'll end up in the 8-12 range, but top 5 would mean we land everyone else we hope to get, which just isn't likely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
As most of you have figured out by now I figured that the bastard would have been gone by Halloween.
I was wrong on that count. But am I wrong that he is NOT a good hire for Auburn? On that I sure as hell am not wrong in the least. I'm not interested in a single season where we couldn't win because we were weak on players....unless we won then it was despite being weak. Gene Chizik as a head coach is a losing proposition, a long term losing proposition. Now that he is going to be here for at least 4 years he will leave the program in complete shambles. phuk him. And Mr. Sensible there is a 4th choice support Auburn by opposing chizik and his monkey phuking handlers. That is the path I am proud to take.

I know this is a futile task (attempting to get logic from you), but at least give some rational example of how you are convinced we'll be in shambles in 4 years.  You could be right, but judging from how the team played this year, and how the first two recruiting classes have looked, what actual evidence do you have to feel that your personal vendetta against this guy looks like it's being vindicated by his "obvious" total failure?

I know you have no answer, because there isn't one...I just wonder if you'll come to the same conclusion. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »
It's possible, but not likely. We have 23 committed now, with just a few to add (although it could be as many as 10 depending on how many sign in January and count towards last years class). 

But if you look right behind us in the rankings, USC has only 14 and is ranked #9.  Georgia has 19.  Notre Dame 18, Florida State 19.  So those teams are going to add players and could very well pass us (at least USC and Georgia). 

So I expect we'll end up in the 8-12 range, but top 5 would mean we land everyone else we hope to get, which just isn't likely.

Will not 3 of those guys be enrolling early and counting towards last years class, actually bringing our # down to 20?  Sanders, Curry and Bolomono (sp)?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan