Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

*Word on the skreets.....regarding coaching changes*

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
*Word on the skreets.....regarding coaching changes*
« on: December 13, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
MSU's DC/LBer Coach Carl Torbush will be going to Coach Turner Gill's Kansas Jayhawks.

MSU's Passing Game Co./WR Coach Mark Hudspeth will, more than likely, be named as ULM's next HC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: *Word on the skreets.....regarding coaching changes*
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »
Also, Jim McElwain possibly to San Jose St as HC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:59:57 PM »

I have heard yes and no on that one. I would not be surprised but I think he is staying. We might lose Coach Cig to the NFL.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

djsimp

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 02:08:58 PM »
I have heard yes and no on that one. I would not be surprised but I think he is staying. We might lose Coach Cig to the NFL.

Well personally, I think I would stay at OC for bama then go take over San Jose St.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »
Rumors around some of the boards are that both McElwain and Doug Nussmeier turned down the SJS job. Not sure how true it is, though. Haven't heard any meltdown or anything on Alabama boards about him leaving or anything, so it may be accurate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
Rumors around some of the boards are that both McElwain and Doug Nussmeier turned down the SJS job. Not sure how true it is, though. Haven't heard any meltdown or anything on Alabama boards about him leaving or anything, so it may be accurate.

Taking my Auburn bias away from the picture for a moment, losing McElwain would be far more hurtful for the bama program then any of the other assistants. Like mentioned above, if I were him I would stay put for a better gig in the future.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »
Taking my Auburn bias away from the picture for a moment, losing McElwain would be far more hurtful for the bama program then any of the other assistants. Like mentioned above, if I were him I would stay put for a better gig in the future.

You are correct my friend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 09:49:14 AM »

Yeah that certainly does not seem to be a step up in my book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
Yes, and I think the majority of the fanbase realizes this, and would collectively shit their pants if McElwain left. I know I would. What I like about him is that he doesn't run a "system". He doesn't have an "offense" he brings with him. Its just a plain old multiple formation offense. A little bit of everything thrown in. If he were to hang on for a few more years, he would certainly get a better offer than SJS. I'm not saying a gig in the SEC or anything, but I'm sure he could be a coach somewhere better than SJS.

I think we're going to be OK as far as assistants this season. Depending on which UGA folks you listen to, Kirby Smart might head to Athens. Really, I don't think it will happen. I think its just UGA fans wishing. He would be monumentally stupid to make a lateral move from Alabama to Georgia, unless they gave him a "head coach in waiting" type contract.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:05:55 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

djsimp

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
.... Depending on which UGA folks you listen to, Kirby Smart might head to Athens. Really, I don't think it will happen. I think its just UGA fans wishing. He would be monumentally stupid to make a lateral move from Alabama to Georgia, unless they gave him a "head coach in waiting" type contract.

Yeah, Kirby Smart moving to Georgia as a DC would be pretty idiotic. I think one of the factors of this still getting a play is the idea of Saban being hard to work for or with. I could see how that may a reason but Georgia isn't exactly on top of the world right now. If I am an assistant, I am not thinking the move to Georgia would help my chances of getting a HC job more than staying at bama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
Yeah, Kirby Smart moving to Georgia as a DC would be pretty idiotic. I think one of the factors of this still getting a play is the idea of Saban being hard to work for or with. I could see how that may a reason but Georgia isn't exactly on top of the world right now. If I am an assistant, I am not thinking the move to Georgia would help my chances of getting a HC job more than staying at bama.
As far as long hours and stuff working for Saban, I'm thinking if he's made it this far, he's probably over the hump. Meaning, if he was going to go for that reason, he probably already would have. Can't say for sure, though. Really, I'm not so sure Alabama couldn't give Kirby Smart a "head coach in waiting" type deal. He has spent the past 8 years coaching under Bobby Bowden (2 years) or Nick Saban (6 years). Thats not a bad pedigree to come from. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »
As far as long hours and stuff working for Saban, I'm thinking if he's made it this far, he's probably over the hump. Meaning, if he was going to go for that reason, he probably already would have. Can't say for sure, though. Really, I'm not so sure Alabama couldn't give Kirby Smart a "head coach in waiting" type deal. He has spent the past 8 years coaching under Bobby Bowden (2 years) or Nick Saban (6 years). Thats not a bad pedigree to come from. 

No not at all. That solidifies even more that him moving to UGA would be more devastating to his career then anything. I will say this though, I do like Mark Richt, but if he continues to take the downfall, he will be ousted. Then, Kirby Smart would be in prime position to move from bamas DC to UGAs HC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
No not at all. That solidifies even more that him moving to UGA would be more devastating to his career then anything. I will say this though, I do like Mark Richt, but if he continues to take the downfall, he will be ousted. Then, Kirby Smart would be in prime position to move from bamas DC to UGAs HC.
I could go along with that. His wife graduated from UGA as well, so that would really be win-win. I think another poor showing by Richt next year could put him out the door. That quick. And if AJ Green is smart, he would get the fuck out of there after next year, regardless. But back to Smart, you have to wonder just how quickly he would consider UGA.

Its not like Saban is going to stay at Alabama forever. FWIW, I think this is Saban's last stop. If we're lucky, we get another 5 years out of him. Of course nobody knows what either program will look like in 5 years, but its a safe bet to assume the cupboard will be full with some top shelf talent. If UGA's cupboard isn't all that full, would you rather rebuild a program from scratch, or take over one on cruise control?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »
Kirby is from Bainbridge, GA. He went to UGA and coached there before. It would not be a good career move but it could be a heart move. Not saying it is smart but I would understand.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
I could go along with that. His wife graduated from UGA as well, so that would really be win-win. I think another poor showing by Richt next year could put him out the door. That quick. And if AJ Green is smart, he would get the phuk out of there after next year, regardless. But back to Smart, you have to wonder just how quickly he would consider UGA.

Its not like Saban is going to stay at Alabama forever. FWIW, I think this is Saban's last stop. If we're lucky, we get another 5 years out of him. Of course nobody knows what either program will look like in 5 years, but its a safe bet to assume the cupboard will be full with some top shelf talent. If UGA's cupboard isn't all that full, would you rather rebuild a program from scratch, or take over one on cruise control?

I dont know really, I mean some coaches like the challenge of rebuilding something and make it their own. I guess that would then become a pride issue (and a money issue ofcourse). Thats a good question though. I think if it was me, I would like to make my own program if enough money is involved but it sure would be a lot easier to take over a program that already has the players your looking for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
.....Not saying it is smart but I would understand.

But it would be a Smart move....... :rofl:
Okay, that wasnt really that funny, but I couldnt resist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »
I dont know really, I mean some coaches like the challenge of rebuilding something and make it their own. I guess that would then become a pride issue (and a money issue ofcourse). Thats a good question though. I think if it was me, I would like to make my own program if enough money is involved but it sure would be a lot easier to take over a program that already has the players your looking for.
As paranoid as Alabama is (and should be) of going back to the pre-Saban years, I would think we would be willing to shell out a little more cash for a Saban disciple that is already on staff. Probably a little more than UGA could justify for a first year head coach out of another program. I would suppose it would just depend on the coaching landscape at that point. We may have blown our wad as far as coaching hires when we hired Saban, but I would guess the program would be attractive enough for another high profile coach to want to do it if the time was right. Lots of hypotheticals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
As paranoid as Alabama is (and should be) of going back to the pre-Saban years, I would think we would be willing to shell out a little more cash for a Saban disciple that is already on staff. Probably a little more than UGA could justify for a first year head coach out of another program. I would suppose it would just depend on the coaching landscape at that point. We may have blown our wad as far as coaching hires when we hired Saban, but I would guess the program would be attractive enough for another high profile coach to want to do it if the time was right. Lots of hypotheticals.
The New Bear.... The more things change, the more they stay the same.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

No Huddle

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
The New Bear.... The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dude I could not type it fast enough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions