Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Puzzling...

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Puzzling...
« on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
http://blog.al.com/auburnbeat/2009/12/is_window_closing_on_tommy_tub.html

Is window closing on Tommy Tuberville's coaching opportunities this year?
 By Evan Woodbery
December 11, 2009, 9:37AM

I was more convinced than anyone that Tommy Tuberville would get back into the coaching business after taking a year off.

But despite a handful of high-profile moves (like Notre Dame), this has been a relatively quiet season for coaching changes, and it may leave Tuberville without a destination.

Tuberville may be sensing that, as he has spoken openly with reporters about his interest in Notre Dame and now Kansas.

I figured Tuberville would find a destination that was warm and was willing to shell out good money. There haven't been many of those openings this year, and Tuberville narrowed the field further when he said he was only looking at BCS schools.

Let's look at the six BCS openings to this point....

Notre Dame: The Irish clearly got their man in Brian Kelly
Florida State: Designated line of succession to Jimbo Fisher.
Louisville: AD wanted Charlie Strong from the start.
Virginia: Same deal. AD knew Mike London, targeted him from beginning.
Kansas: ?????
Cincinnati: ?????

Am I forgetting any? There have been a few somewhat attractive non-BCS openings -- like Memphis and UNLV -- and some that are less attractive -- Akron and UL-Monroe, for instance. Tuberville doesn't seem interested in any of those.

So what if he doesn't grab a job this offseason? Certainly, he's not hurting for money. But for his coaching future, Tuberville he has to worry about sitting on the sidelines for two seasons. Dennis Franchione wants to get back into the biz and has stayed active through broadcasting, but he's had a tough time getting looks and his two-year absence hasn't helped his cause.

Of course, it's only early December, and there could be more changes to come. But I get the sense that the economy is forcing programs to be more cautious about bold changes unless there is no other choice. Next year might be a better time to be a free agent on the market. Tuberville just has to hope that's not too late.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Puzzling...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »
I read that too. Sometimes I wonder about Woodbery. I just don't think Tubs will jump on any job but after reading some of Talons post and links, it seems there may very well be a possibility. I would say though, that if A&M opens up Tubs will head for Texas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »
I read that too. Sometimes I wonder about Woodbery. I just don't think Tubs will jump on any job but after reading some of Talons post and links, it seems there may very well be a possibility. I would say though, that if A&M opens up Tubs will head for Texas.

You have to take anything Doucheberry writes with a grain of salt, but Tubs does seem to be pimping himself with the comments he made regarding the Kansas job.  I agree though about aTm.  He would have the ties to be an inside candidate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »
Your right about Dingleberry, I dont really pay much attention to his stuff anymore. Tubs is a good coach and I think we knew he would be coaching again someday. Kansas may be a good job but man it sure would easier to recruit to College Station.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions