Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn Players are Baptized at Opelika Church

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Auburn Players are Baptized at Opelika Church
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
I have received the following e-mail several times.  The e-mail was great news but there is so much "stuff" that goes through the e-mails, that someone else I know decided to go to the source to see if it was actually true.

First is the e-mail going around, and under that will be the response from First Baptist Church in Opelika saying the e-mail I received is the truth.

This would be exciting news to hear about any college football team, so this is not just 'cause I am an Auburn fan - but it is obvious that Brother Chette is still working to create men of character, and is succeeding, with the support of the rest of the coaching staff.  Makes me so proud to be an Auburn Tiger. 

I received this blog this morning from a young lady who goes to Opelika   First   Baptist Church . This sweet, life changing event happened on Thursday night.  I wanted to share it with each of you...God is working everywhere...and it  just gives me chills.  Wish I could have been there to witness the Holy Spirit at work once again.

Tonight at church we were SO BLESSED with the opportunity to watch the  following four men be BAPTIZED by their team chaplain: 

Walter McFadden
Antonio Coleman
Eltoro Freeman
T'Sharvan Bell 

Recognize those names? Yeah. It was awesome. He had a hard time lifting some  of them out of the water, they weigh three times as much as he does! Yet  with tears in their eyes and soft hearts as big as the room, they stood in  front of hundreds and confessed their faith in Christ.

Following them was a steady stream of high school boys who looked like miniature versions of them, big shoulders, dread locks, goofy grins...   following in their footsteps, committing their lives to Christ, choosing to stand up for Christ in their schools despite their less-than-ideal  backgrounds... it was so cool.

It was such a fresh reminder of how active our God is in Auburn and how capable He is of moving mountains. I underestimate Him and put Him in a box far too often! God allowed those boys to come to Auburn to play football  here with this very purpose in mind, and don't you know He was celebrating with His angels to night as they professed their love for Him?

This is such a huge part of why I love it here! This is what happens when  you routinely hire a Christian crew of coaches for our football team. This is what God can do in the lives of those men who, outside of football, often  have nothing else to hope in. This is just the beginning of what He is capable of on our campus, and it is so exciting.

Antonio Coleman finished out the service by telling us his story and had the whole place in tears. He finished by saying, " Auburn is a special place, it is such a special place", and I couldn't agree more. Auburn IS a special place. God is moving here. Next time you see them on TV, just smile and know that they are living for so much more than football.

To: AUFan4Jesus@aol.com
Sent: 11/30/2009 10:06:27 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: Re: First Baptist Opelika

Doris,

I assume that the e-mail you are referencing is the last sentence you wrote about the young men being baptized.  Those four young men, all AU football players, were baptized in our church on November 15 by Chette Williams, the team chaplain.  Chette usually speaks at our church at least once per year and on this particular night preceded his message by baptizing these young men.  Some of them gave their testimony that night also.  I was unable to attend due to an illness but have heard from other members of our staff that it was a very powerful and emotional service for all involved.  I am so glad that you checked the source first before sending out the e-mail.  So often, people don't check their sources and send out erroneous information.  In this case, it is true and it is wonderful!

Hope that helps. If you would like to purchase a CD or DVD of the service, you can send a check made payable to FBCO.  Mail it to:  First Baptist Church , ATTN: Lana Jackson, P.O. Box 329 , Opelika , AL   368303-0329.  CD's are $5.00 plus $2.00 shipping.  DVD's are $10.00 plus $2.00 shipping.   Write a note and include it with your check letting us know whether you want a CD or DVD and indicate that you want it for the November 15 evening worship service.  Please include a mailing address and phone number.

Let us know if there is any other way that we can be of help to you.

Susan Burdg
Outreach Coordinator
First Baptist Church , Opelika
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Auburn Players are Baptized at Opelika Church
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:33:05 AM »
Things like this is why others do not "get" AU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »
Honestly?  I am kind of thankful for that...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »
Honestly?  I am kind of thankful for that...

Don't disagree.  Just an observation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
That's awesome. If I never like anything else about Chizik, I do like his faith and his personal effect on these guys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
Were coaches present?  This is probably an NCAA violation.  Waiting on RWS to cite the appropriate section. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Token

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:06:53 PM »
Were coaches present?  This is probably an NCAA violation.  Waiting on RWS to cite the appropriate section. 

Only a violation if their names were announced before said Baptism.  Or if Aubie was in the congregation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:12:16 PM »
Tomorrows headline on al.com

AUBURN OFFICIAL TRIES TO DROWN FOUR TIGER PLAYERS
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »

Only a violation if their names were announced before said Baptism.  Or if Aubie was in the congregation.

+3
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »

I lol'ed a little in my pants.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »

And it was obviously racially motivated, they were all black.

Should read:

SOUTHERN BAPTIST WHITE SUPREMACISTS TRY TO DROWN FOUR BLACK YOUTHS

On a serious note, it is quite a story.  I remember when Zac Etheridge was laying on the field motionless, the camera caught the other 10 Auburn players that were on the field, and immediately they huddled praying.  Nine of them were on one knee with their heads bowed and one of them was standing up talking in a very animated way.  At one moment, he finished talking, and everyone lifted their heads and then stood up (which is how I figured they were praying).  

It was a cool thing to see because it was just the guys that happen to be on the field.  It wasn't something a team chaplain rounded up.  It was done by the players own initiative.  I don't  think it's a coincidence that most of the Auburn staff over the years have been men of faith and therefore often attract players of the same mindset.  It's no small part of why I love Auburn.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:27:45 PM by jaddazio »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »
It is my duty as an Alabama fan to turn this nonsense into the NCAA.  :rimshot:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
It is my duty as an Alabama fan to turn this nonsense into the NCAA.  :rimshot:

Are you going to drive your shiny new Dodge Charger to Indianapolis and report it to the NCAA in person or just send the info via the internet from your "complimentary" laptop while deep sea fishing in the Gulf?

WAR EAGLE
 :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »
Antonio Coleman finished out the service by telling us his story and had the whole place in tears. He finished by saying, " Auburn is a special place, it is such a special place"

AC gets it, you get it, I get, most on this board get it and I agree with Wench, I am honestly kind of thankful that others do not and will not ever get it.  

IMO, this and what Bro Chette is doing for those guys is a great thing.  Good to have a man like him around the program.  

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:31:08 PM by UFGator1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
Are you going to drive your shiny new Dodge Charger to Indianapolis and report it to the NCAA in person or just send the info via the internet from your "complimentary" laptop while deep sea fishing in the Gulf?

WAR EAGLE
 :)

All of the above.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban