Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Roof/Chizik Actually...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Roof/Chizik Actually...
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
had a plan yesterday.  I've whined like a little girl all year about their refusal to run anything other than the base 4-3 in all situations, shun the blitz or change things up.  Yesterday, it was obvious they stacked the box and keyed on Ingram.  They did what mony of the "experts" said they would have to do to win, which was to make McElroy beat them. I think it also helped to have to groups of 4 linemen ready to tag in throughout the the game. 

The defense got the game to a point where it came down to a final drive.  Unfortunately, they couldn't make the crucial 3rd down stops when it counted most.  But, it was most definitely the D and Roofs/Chiziks game plan that gave them the chance to win the ball game. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: Roof/Chizik Actually...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »
I'm not much on moral victories, especially when 95% of the uncleaned mass' that are Alabama fans won't recognize this, but...   If you're going to lose a game, I'd rather it be a hard fought game like THAT one.  I HATE that we lost the game.  Sucks.  However, knowing our circumstances, it galvanized, for me anyway, that Auburn IS in fact, on an upswing, not the opposite.  I was proud even still walking out of that stadium yesterday.

Call me crazy if you want.  I'd still rather be an Auburn Tiger. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
I'm reminded of a certain quote from "The Man".....

1981 UT/AU game: "Gonna be a lot of days you lay your guts on the line and you come away empy handed, ain't a damn thing you can do but go back and lay 'em on the line again...and again and again.  Every coach and manager, we're glad to be associated with you.  You keep fightin' like you did today...you keep playin' like 'at...we can build a foundation that we can live a long, long time on at Auburn."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
I'm reminded of a certain quote from "The Man".....
1981 UT/AU game

I read all week how writers and fans were trying to compare this year to the 1989 iron bowl.  After all is said and done I think it more resembles the 1981 iron bowl.  I was not living in this state at the time, so maybe some of you can correct me if I am wrong. 

When Dye took over in 1981 we lost to bama but sent a message we were not going to be your b*tch anymore.  I think Friday Chizik sent that same message.  Saban has completed two 12-0 seasons and that is something remarkable, but take notice.  I am excited about the direction of the program. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »
I read all week how writers and fans were trying to compare this year to the 1989 iron bowl.  After all is said and done I think it more resembles the 1981 iron bowl.  I was not living in this state at the time, so maybe some of you can correct me if I am wrong. 

When Dye took over in 1981 we lost to bama but sent a message we were not going to be your b*tch anymore.  I think Friday Chizik sent that same message.  Saban has completed two 12-0 seasons and that is something remarkable, but take notice.  I am excited about the direction of the program. 

You people act as if we've beaten AU 36-0 for the past six years straight. You do realize that the Iron Bowl is typically decided by 10 points, regardless of how good either team is, right? You do realize that 2008 was the exception, not the rule, right? I mean shit, the 2004 AU squad only beat a hapless Alabama team by 8 points, and Alabama was winning at halftim. Winning a game against an AU team with no OC suddenly made AU Alabama's bitch? No, it was what it was, and thats what I told alot of my Alabama friends. It wouldn't be like that shit this season, and it won't be again in the near future, unless AU has a similar clusterfuck in the future.

I just can't really understand this "Chizik sent a message!" shit. Even Shula managed to make every Iron Bowl he coached in competitive. Even Shula, in his second season ever as a head coach, with a 6-5 Alabama team, against the unbeatable 2004 AU team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »
You people act as if we've beaten AU 36-0 for the past six years straight. You do realize that the Iron Bowl is typically decided by 10 points, regardless of how good either team is, right? You do realize that 2008 was the exception, not the rule, right? I mean poop, the 2004 AU squad only beat a hapless Alabama team by 8 points, and Alabama was winning at halftim. Winning a game against an AU team with no OC suddenly made AU Alabama's bitch? No, it was what it was, and thats what I told alot of my Alabama friends. It wouldn't be like that poop this season, and it won't be again in the near future, unless AU has a similar clusterphuk in the future.

I just can't really understand this "Chizik sent a message!" poop. Even Shula managed to make every Iron Bowl he coached in competitive. Even Shula, in his second season ever as a head coach, with a 6-5 Alabama team, against the unbeatable 2004 AU team.

I think it was in response to the general attitude before the game that this year was going to be a repeat of last year. I heard it in person all week and I saw it in on message boards for the last 2 weeks. I think there was just some relief that we are not as far off of Bama's program as many have said we are. 

Our attrition rate on the last 4 years of Tubs recruits was around 40%. Say what you want but that all falls on the head coach. Plus the Tony Franklin fuckup also falls on him. Unwilling to change staff personnel is another that comes to mind. Sorry, the scores are what they are. Tubs 36-0, Chiz 26-21. Actually, last yrs game should have been worse. I was proud of the team Fri night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »
Also, rws....this year's Iron Bowl was not similar to any of the Coach Sheila Iron Bowls...wanna know why?  Auburn led the entire game save for the last 1:18.  Coach Sheban didn't go into the Sheban Shell, much like CTT was so accustomed to do.  Get up by 14 and play prevent/bend but don't break defense.  So you really can't compare this year's Iron Bowl to one that was played 4 or 5 years ago.  Coach Chizik and Co. sent a message that we'll be here fighting until the end and it all starts with recruiting....which is what Coach Chizik and Co. are doing.  No more Duck Hunting/looking to get their names to be on short lists for the purpose of getting a raise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 10:23:37 PM »

That was the first Iron Bowl I saw in person.  I remember being impressed as an impressionable 11 year old with the way that team played, and hearing the fans chant "War Damn Eagle" after the third quarter.  Friday had that same type feel...I can't explain why, but it did.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 11:40:29 PM »
I mean shit, the 2004 AU squad only beat a hapless Alabama team by 8 points, and Alabama was winning at halftim.
I just can't really understand this "Chizik sent a message!" shit. Even Shula managed to make every Iron Bowl he coached in competitive. Even Shula, in his second season ever as a head coach, with a 6-5 Alabama team, against the unbeatable 2004 AU team.

did you actually watch that game. AU shut it down the 4th quarter. had they kept attacking, the score would have been much worse. There were many AU fans pissed that AU did not even try the 4th quarter and still had the game EASILY in hand.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Token

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 12:00:19 AM »
did you actually watch that game. AU shut it down the 4th quarter. had they kept attacking, the score would have been much worse. There were many AU fans pissed that AU did not even try the 4th quarter and still had the game EASILY in hand.

I sincerely hope that I'm missing some sarcasm here.  Otherwise, I didn't watch the same 4th quarter you did.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 01:46:56 AM »
You people act as if we've beaten AU 36-0 for the past six years straight. You do realize that the Iron Bowl is typically decided by 10 points, regardless of how good either team is, right? You do realize that 2008 was the exception, not the rule, right? I mean poop, the 2004 AU squad only beat a hapless Alabama team by 8 points, and Alabama was winning at halftim. Winning a game against an AU team with no OC suddenly made AU Alabama's bitch? No, it was what it was, and thats what I told alot of my Alabama friends. It wouldn't be like that poop this season, and it won't be again in the near future, unless AU has a similar clusterphuk in the future.

I just can't really understand this "Chizik sent a message!" poop. Even Shula managed to make every Iron Bowl he coached in competitive. Even Shula, in his second season ever as a head coach, with a 6-5 Alabama team, against the unbeatable 2004 AU team.

Hold on now. I've heard Bama fans state the same poop all of my life, like the HC had them all in his living room the night before roasting marshmallows and discussing strategy. Oh Bear this and Nick that. True the past games were decided by ten simply because the HC's played it close to the vest, ball control and don't phuk up.But IMO, as long as CGM is OC these games are going to be much different than in the past. We want the ball back
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
I sincerely hope that I'm missing some sarcasm here.  Otherwise, I didn't watch the same 4th quarter you did.

Then I guess you didn't. I know of tons of AU fans that were pissed when Tubs called off the dogs and blamed that one action on us not being in the NC game. We had them beat down and sat on the ball. Sure they put up a little bit of a fight, but we had the chance to score 2 more TDs and decided to just run the clock out. We were never really in any trouble. As soon as their emotion ran out, we jsut kept rolling. There we several games that season that we just shut down in the 4th quarter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
Then I guess you didn't. I know of tons of AU fans that were pissed when Tubs called off the dogs and blamed that one action on us not being in the NC game. We had them beat down and sat on the ball. Sure they put up a little bit of a fight, but we had the chance to score 2 more TDs and decided to just run the clock out. We were never really in any trouble. As soon as their emotion ran out, we jsut kept rolling. There we several games that season that we just shut down in the 4th quarter.

Most notably, the Va. Tech game.  I don't believe I've ever seen a bigger case of pulling the plug on an offense.  Auburn won and finished an undefeated season.  Many fans left with a sour taste in their mouths.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »

Ah.  My comprehension skills are in question here.  In my quest to ignore a lot of bullshit, I didn't actually read the post you responded to.  I thought you were speaking of this game.  My apologies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »
Ah.  My comprehension skills are in question here.  In my quest to ignore a lot of bullshit, I didn't actually read the post you responded to.  I thought you were speaking of this game.  My apologies.
You get one on here...and this was it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 05:22:18 PM »
FYI...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions