Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week Final

Thoughts - Week Final
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »
Couldn't be more proud of our team.  Despite some poor coaching calls, our players played their guts out.  If I was a man of tears, I'd cry for them right now.  You know this hurts, and they deserve tremendous congratulations for their effort.

- I saw great things for the future.
- I'm convinced we have to win games before the 4th quarter with Malzahn.  He can't come from behind very well.  He calls some bad plays.  He didn't have our offense ready for the two minute.

Alabama...

- Overrated.  Big time.  Our defense has not played well all season.  Not one game.  That includes La Tech, Furman, and Ball St.  That includes Ole Miss back when Snead was throwing more INTs than completions.  That includes being forced to play walk-ons who aren't even that good of walk-ons.  That includes numerous true freshman who weren't recruited by many big time schools getting playing time.  That includes Demond Washington who had never played safety until two weeks ago AND he's returning kickoffs and punt returns. 

- Saban's defense, I think it's safe to say, has a glaring weakness.  It struggles to shut down teams that attack the outside and use trickery to set up conventional plays.  Florida had success last year.  Utah also destroyed it.  If we had a few more horses, we might have put up 35 points.  We should have.  Our quarterback limited us for a lot of drives. 

SECCG...

- Where the hell was Ingram?  And he's hurt?  I think Spikes has a big day.  Florida's defense is tremendously talented.  They have players to cover Julio.  Give Julio another nice fishing trip, by the way.  He won that game with clutch catches and perfectly run routes. 

- Florida's offense will have success much like Auburn's.  Probably 24-28 points.  More if their defense can cause some turnovers. 

This season...

- Hell of a ride.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

Re: Thoughts - Week Final
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »
Arenas' returns and a worn down D in the fourth quarter were the difference to me. Bynes, Ricks, Coleman and Co. happened to Ingram, that's all. Nick Saban needs his own network so we can hear his comments on a continuous loop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »
Arenas' returns and a worn down D in the fourth quarter were the difference to me. Bynes, Ricks, Coleman and Co. happened to Ingram, that's all. Nick Saban needs his own network so we can hear his comments on a continuous loop.

Arenas...wow.  I've never been more happy to see a player graduate and get drafted.  I think our defense held tough even with his returns.

What it boiled down to was our offense needed to put together one more drive.  They needed one more touchdown.  They couldn't do it.  Todd have a few mistakes.  Malzahn had some terrible calls. 

Our defense was eventually going to get bit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Couldn't be more proud of our team.  Despite some poor coaching calls, our players played their guts out.  If I was a man of tears, I'd cry for them right now.  You know this hurts, and they deserve tremendous congratulations for their effort.

- I saw great things for the future.
- I'm convinced we have to win games before the 4th quarter with Malzahn.  He can't come from behind very well.  He calls some bad plays.  He didn't have our offense ready for the two minute.

Alabama...

- Overrated.  Big time.  Our defense has not played well all season.  Not one game.  That includes La Tech, Furman, and Ball St.  That includes Ole Miss back when Snead was throwing more INTs than completions.  That includes being forced to play walk-ons who aren't even that good of walk-ons.  That includes numerous true freshman who weren't recruited by many big time schools getting playing time.  That includes Demond Washington who had never played safety until two weeks ago AND he's returning kickoffs and punt returns. 

- Saban's defense, I think it's safe to say, has a glaring weakness.  It struggles to shut down teams that attack the outside and use trickery to set up conventional plays.  Florida had success last year.  Utah also destroyed it.  If we had a few more horses, we might have put up 35 points.  We should have.  Our quarterback limited us for a lot of drives. 

SECCG...

- Where the hell was Ingram?  And he's hurt?  I think Spikes has a big day.  Florida's defense is tremendously talented.  They have players to cover Julio.  Give Julio another nice fishing trip, by the way.  He won that game with clutch catches and perfectly run routes. 

- Florida's offense will have success much like Auburn's.  Probably 24-28 points.  More if their defense can cause some turnovers. 

This season...

- Hell of a ride.   
The only optimism I have at this point is that UF's offense is more like MSU's offense than AU's. As in, its nearly identical to UF's. While obviously UF has more horses than MSU or AU, its going to take alot better effort than we saw today out of Alabama to beat UF. I mean, alot. I think our OL is going to hurt us the most in the UF game.

Gotta give credit to AU. AU did have 12 days to prep, but still, I can't think of one position where AU matches up to Alabama. Not one. And it was that close.

I think Alabama's defense did well when they actually got settled down. That first quarter was embarassing. But the defense held AU to 118 yards for the rest of the game. Thats not a total defensive fail by any means. Our offense didn't really help out by being mindfucked for half the game, but whatever. I'm glad, and a little surprised, that we came out on top.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »
What we learned about the running backs in this state:

Ben Tate - 18 carries for 45 yards.  No touchdowns.  2.5 average.

Mark Ingram - 16 carries for 30 yards.  No touchdowns.  1.9 average.

Verdict:

They both suck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
I thought that malzahn called a pretty good game except for the call on 3rd and 1 right after Bama turned it over on downs. Tate was running pretty food, yet we call a screen. On 3rd and 1. WTF?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:21:25 PM »
You guys aren't going to agree with me, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Gus Malzhan may be the best offensive coordinator in college football when he can script the plays.  Auburn starts very strong.  It seemed like Auburn had trick play on top of trick play to start the game.  Bama's defense didn't have a clue how to stop that shit.  Up 14-0 early.  Then nothing.

Same thing in the second half.  Gus scripts some plays during halftime and the AU offense comes out rolling.  Then, when it's time to call plays in the moment, nothing.  

The last drive of the game was horrific.  No sense of urgency, questionable plays and terrible clock management.  

Kudos to Auburn for playing a hell of a game.  Roof, or whoever exposed our offensive line.  Fill the gaps before the play and they aren't strong enough to get a push.  I've said over and over that this line was nothing compared to '08.  Someone figured out how to get in the backfield and did a GREAT job preparing for this game.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
What we learned about the running backs in this state:

Ben Tate - 18 carries for 45 yards.  No touchdowns.  2.5 average. (Going up against Mt. Cody and the Top 5 ranked Rush Defense in the Country)

Mark Ingram - 16 carries for 30 yards.  No touchdowns.  1.9 average. (Going up against a rush defense that has given up monster yardage)

Verdict:

They both suck. Ingram sucked more than Tate....So, Tate was the best RB in the State today.
FTFY

Tate against SPuat's D?  Par for the course.

Ingram against Auburn's D?  Ingram was suppose to sew up the Heisman for all the yardage that he was going to get in the Iron Bowl.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:26:48 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
You guys aren't going to agree with me, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Gus Malzhan may be the best offensive coordinator in college football when he can script the plays.  Auburn starts very strong.  It seemed like Auburn had trick play on top of trick play to start the game.  Bama's defense didn't have a clue how to stop that shit.  Up 14-0 early.  Then nothing.

Same thing in the second half.  Gus scripts some plays during halftime and the AU offense comes out rolling.  Then, when it's time to call plays in the moment, nothing.  

The last drive of the game was horrific.  No sense of urgency, questionable plays and terrible clock management.  

Kudos to Auburn for playing a hell of a game.  Roof, or whoever exposed our offensive line.  Fill the gaps before the play and they aren't strong enough to get a push.  I've said over and over that this line was nothing compared to '08.  Someone figured out how to get in the backfield and did a GREAT job preparing for this game.  

I think part of it is Chris Todd.  Todd can't run the hurry up like Malzahn wants.  When Malzahn needs to run the conventional-style plays, he needs his offense to be moving down the field giving the defense very little time to adjust.  We stopped the hurry up after the LSU game.  Todd makes too many mistakes, and he really doesn't have the ability/arm to make those plays work.  

Malzahn also has some growing up to do.  That high school style of "I'll call this play because it worked in practice" doesn't work especially against defensive gurus like Saban.  We had the ball on the 45 up by 1 with a chance to put the game away and he called a bubble screen on 3rd and long???  We ran the option with Chris Todd!!!!!?????  

That kind of stuff CAN be fixed if he's paying attention.  We need to hope like hell he's paying attention because Malzahn has the capability of being a great coordinator.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 07:28:53 PM »
I think part of it is Chris Todd.  Todd can't run the hurry up like Malzahn wants.  When Malzahn needs to run the conventional-style plays, he needs his offense to be moving down the field giving the defense very little time to adjust.  We stopped the hurry up after the LSU game.  Todd makes too many mistakes, and he really doesn't have the ability/arm to make those plays work.  

Malzahn also has some growing up to do.  That high school style of "I'll call this play because it worked in practice" doesn't work especially against defensive gurus like Saban.  We had the ball on the 45 up by 1 with a chance to put the game away and he called a bubble screen on 3rd and long???  We ran the option with Chris Todd!!!!!?????  

That kind of stuff CAN be fixed if he's paying attention.  We need to hope like hell he's paying attention because Malzahn has the capability of being a great coordinator.  

I agree, but that option play would've gotten Auburn 15 or more yards....if Kodi would've made an attempt to block the Cornerback.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »
I think this game should bring on more talent and Gus will have more time to script a final drive with a three touchdown lead or at least have the proper tools in the box. Our guys played their best.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »
I think this game should bring on more talent and Gus will have more time to script a final drive with a three touchdown lead or at least have the proper tools in the box. Our guys played their best.
Yup, now the coaches can say....."You can be that missing piece, you can be the one that makes the difference."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 07:55:45 PM »

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/06/gus-malzahnauburn-tigers-run-game.html

Read the part about the bubble. That's the QB's call. The formation was sent in from the sideline, but the QB makes the read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/06/gus-malzahnauburn-tigers-run-game.html

Read the part about the bubble. That's the QB's call. The formation was sent in from the sideline, but the QB makes the read.

So the option is hit the RB deep, run the QB draw, or throw the bubble screen on 3rd and 10+?  Still don't like the call.

(RB deep?  covered by corners/athletic linebackers/safety especially on 3rd and long; QB draw?  Meh.  Todd would get eaten up; Bubble screen?  Too many athletes on Bama's D for it to get 10+ yards)

But anyways, Chris Todd really is the problem.  That was a terrible read as there were defenders right there to tackle the screen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »
So the option is hit the RB deep, run the QB draw, or throw the bubble screen on 3rd and 10+?  Still don't like the call.

(RB deep?  covered by corners/athletic linebackers/safety especially on 3rd and long; QB draw?  Meh.  Todd would get eaten up; Bubble screen?  Too many athletes on Bama's D for it to get 10+ yards)

But anyways, Chris Todd really is the problem.  That was a terrible read as there were defenders right there to tackle the screen.
Soooooo......who is the guy that puts it all together next season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »
Soooooo......who is the guy that puts it all together next season?

Blake Fields. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »
FTFY
They both suck. Ingram sucked more than Tate....So, Tate was the best RB in the State today.

WTF you talkin' bout????

signed,
Trent Richardson
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »

Todd for some reason hasn't grasped the offense yet. He has to stop and think what to do and that kills the hurry up part of the plan. Still, he has tied yall's season TD passes record with a bowl game to go.
Yall get 2 more wins at least next year if you have a QB who GETS IT.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »
Todd for some reason hasn't grasped the offense yet. He has to stop and think what to do and that kills the hurry up part of the plan. Still, he has tied yall's season TD passes record with a bowl game to go.
Yall get 2 more wins at least next year if you have a QB who GETS IT.

I'm going to trust what I've heard about Tyrik Rollison.  Supposedly, he's really grasped the offense and has tremendous physical ability. 

I think we can really improve next year if our defense can fill a few holes and our offense can more consistent play out of the quarterback. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »
We once again showed that talent and depth are not the problem. We out coached. There was NOT a single player in orange and blue that cost us the game. Taking the D away from roof and letting chiz do what he can do was a stroke of genius. All the trick plays at the start stunk of desperation. It's really a shame, we had the talent for 9-10 wins this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.