No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: attention bbq enthusiast...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:48:32 AM »
I am going to set that to record.  This was our first year of competition and we only got 1/2 the year in.  We have placed in every event so far. We have yet to win a meat category but have won a dessert and sauce category twice now.   We are Backyard Division, so we only get to do chicken, ribs and every once in a while depending on the event, pork shoulder.   Once we get a schedule set, I will be posting invites to fellow X'ers.  Free food and sometimes free drink. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:03:53 AM »
I am going to set that to record.  This was our first year of competition and we only got 1/2 the year in.  We have placed in every event so far. We have yet to win a meat category but have won a dessert and sauce category twice now.   We are Backyard Division, so we only get to do chicken, ribs and every once in a while depending on the event, pork shoulder.   Once we get a schedule set, I will be posting invites to fellow X'ers.  Free food and sometimes free drink. 
Hell to the yeah!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
The rest of you can go home and save your time.

http://rudys.com/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
Anyone watched this yet?  Opinions?

So far I am liking the show, picked up on a few things and have actually been around a couple of the teams at some comps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »
On a BBQ note..anyone watch Man vs. Food?  I love that show.  They had a rerun on last night and he was hitting some BBQ joints.  This one was cooking ribs and brisquet over this big open wood burning pit in the middle of the restaurant.  He pulled off a brisquet and cut off a charred end piece.  Adam took a bite and just put his hand up over the camera and said, "This is a personal moment".  I swear it moved watching that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
The rest of you can go home and save your time.

http://rudys.com/

Nastiest.  BBQ.  Evah.

Their sauce is vinegary and thin, and has no flavor.  Their ribs are dry.  Their brisket is overcooked as well.  There's one right down the street from my office.  Instead, I drive 20 minutes to another joint.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
Nastiest.  BBQ.  Evah.

Their sauce is vinegary and thin, and has no flavor.  Their ribs are dry.  Their brisket is overcooked as well.  There's one right down the street from my office.  Instead, I drive 20 minutes to another joint.   

Have never actually had their BBQ so it make suck ass.  Order a care package of his BBQ sauce 2 a year.  It's spicy which I prefer in my BBQ sauce.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
Have never actually had their BBQ so it make suck ass.  Order a care package of his BBQ sauce 2 a year.  It's spicy which I prefer in my BBQ sauce.
If you are after the heat, then fine.  It definitely has a kick.  But the food?  Not acceptable by any standards. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »
Best BBQ I have ever ate was at a hole in the wall place in Hollywood AL.  Mud Creek BBQ.  Sauce was the best I have ever tried, pork had the right amount of smoke and mop to not over power the flavor of the pig, and the mustard slaw was to die for.  Old man that owned the joint passed away, his nephew has the sauce recipe, but is in teh jail for meth.  Damn shame.

Most of the time I find the chains are not that good, it's the small joints that have the best food.  Jim N Nicks is pretty good for a chain, Big Bob Gibson is decent, but nothing in the restaurant compares to the food they cook at competitions.  They can't afford to serve it that way and the prep work is to time consuming.

Chuck's was damn fine BBQ as well.

TW:  Ever ate at Kreuz Market or Smitty Market in Lockhart?  Or is that closer to San An than Houston?  I have always heard those are two of the best in TX.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
Anyone watched this yet?  Opinions?

So far I am liking the show, picked up on a few things and have actually been around a couple of the teams at some comps.

i'm enjoying the show.  i've never competed much less gone to a competition.  i'm still in learning mode.   bbq'in a brisket this weekend.  

a friend and i just bought a locally "naturally" grown pig.  we are not cooking it whole.  the plan is to have it butchered and wrapped to our specifications.

we'll do our own processing, curing and smoking of the hams, jowls, hocks, trotters, bellies and other trimmings.  can't wait for the bacon and sausage.  this will all be done in my friend's smoke house.

perhaps make our own lard.

other parts including the loin, tenderloin, ribs and shoulder will be used (at least by me) for grilling and bbq.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 03:19:15 PM »
I do a pretty killer brisket myself. My pork shoulder (Boston Butt) and shank is pretty good too. I use my own rub recipe and finishing sauce. My BBQ sauce is a recipe from the 50's. I also like to smoke corn on the cob with the husks. Smoke jalapenos, which are AKA Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce.  My smoker preferences has changed over the last three years and I'm now looking at buying a Lang 60 or better. Right now I'm using a NB Black Diamond. I use hickory, pecan and oak. My ribs are sweating when they are pulled and fall off the bone. My poultry is brined then smoked, faster and at a higher temp than what others do. The poultry rivals Bates Turkey in taste and moisture, mine is more moist. I have about 10 different rubs I use along with different finishing and BBQ sauces. Everyone's preference for sauces is different, so I attempt to cater to that. My brines and marinades are off shoots of other's recipes. Man, I'm hungry now.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
You aint shit unless you are chowing on some pickled pigs feet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »
TW:  Ever ate at Kreuz Market or Smitty Market in Lockhart?  Or is that closer to San An than Houston?  I have always heard those are two of the best in TX.
Between Houston and San Antone.  Never have been tho.

My problem with most all TX BBQ is (1) it is almost exclusively beef, and I just cannot get used to BBQ sauce on steak, and (2) their sauce is almost always a sour vinegar base, with very little flavor other than the vinegar, unless they add so much hot spice to it that you still have no flavor but it doesn't matter because your tongue is numb anyway.

Honestly, my only recourse around here is to either eat the meat dry, with no sauce, or to take a bottle of KC Masterpiece with me - I know, store bought, but I like the thick, sweet taste on pork loin (when I can find it) and especially on ribs.  I grew up with sweet, thick, molasses or brown sugar based sauces, and that is just what I like.  I can always get KCM at the stores here, but my all-time favorite specialty sauce is from Smokey's BBQ, but I can't get that regularly.

The guy at the BBQ place I go to for lunch sometimes does make a great pulled pork sandwich, but I always order it dry.  I bring my KCM to the restaurant with me - shocked the hell out of him when I first did that -  but I am a good customer and now he just laughs and shaked his head - we have had deep converstaions about sauce, and he understands how I feel.  His restaurant is a hole in the wall,a nd he has won more than a few Houston's "Best of" competition.  His onion rings and fried okra are also to die for.

Plus the vinegar stuff upsets my stomach after a while.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »
Try Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce. That's the shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
Try Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce. That's the shit.
I use that when I can find it.  I keep KCM at the office because no one will steal that, and if they do, no problem.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »
Honestly, my only recourse around here is to either eat the meat dry, with no sauce, or to take a bottle of KC Masterpiece with me - I know, store bought, but I like the thick, sweet taste on pork loin (when I can find it) and especially on ribs.  I grew up with sweet, thick, molasses or brown sugar based sauces, and that is just what I like.

Our competition sauce has ketchup and apple cider vinegar as a base, molasses, brown sugar and pineapple juice along with several other things.  You would probably love it.  It has a bite of sweet and you can't really taste the vinegar in it at all.  It took me several years to get it to the point that it's at.  I like a vinegar sauce myself, but my wife and the judges seem to like the sweet sauce. 

Try Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce. That's the poop.

As far as sauce that you get in a store.  It's hard to beat anything that Sweet Baby Ray's puts out there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 03:46:36 PM »
bottomfeeder or autiger1...

regarding the pork shoulder, (referring to my purchase of the pig) any recommendations on butchering for bbq?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
bottomfeeder or autiger1...

regarding the pork shoulder, (referring to my purchase of the pig) any recommendations on butchering for bbq?

Cut from area 4

So it looks like this

Oh wait, you didn't ask me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
Depends on how you decide you want to cook it and when. A whole pig is a lot of meat and most will probably need to be frozen. I have never had a whole pig before so I'm not really knowledgeable in that area. If it was me though, I would just have it butchered that way all pigs are cut up. You still have to prepare and fit it on the smoker/grill anyway.

I use a different forum for this anyway.

Here is the one I like the most. She has a lot of info.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/

Now this next one is Jeff's site (and if you want those two recipes he sells for $20 ask me I give them to you). They aren't worth twenty bucks. Anyway, his site very big and there are a lot of real pit-masters there who can help you learn to BBQ correctly. This is where I got my start about three years ago. My first smoke was an all nighter 2 - 10# pork butts. About twenty hours.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com

Good Luck with the pig thing.

You need a good wireless temp probe. I use a Maverick ET-73.

CCTAU knows a god bit about this subject.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:23:58 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions