Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Upconverting DVD Players

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Upconverting DVD Players
« on: November 20, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
Anyone got one? Noticeable difference?

My DVD player in my living room is shot, because it was a piece of crap to begin with. I think I paid like $15-20 for it like 2 years ago.

Anyway, this is the one I'm looking at getting, and it looks solid for the price.

Actually, even if the upconversion isn't great, I'll probably get it anyway. It's not much more expensive than the complete and utter piece of shit I just threw away. And it's Samsung, so it can't be too bad. I have a Samsung DVD/VCR combo that I bought when DVD was still new when I was in High School ten years ago, and it's still a good player.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Upconverting DVD Players
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »

My DVD player in my living room is shot, because it was a piece of crap to begin with. I think I paid like $15-20 for it like 2 years ago.

Anyway, this is the one I'm looking at getting, and it looks solid for the price.

Actually, even if the upconversion isn't great, I'll probably get it anyway. It's not much more expensive than the complete and utter piece of shit I just threw away. And it's Samsung, so it can't be too bad. I have a Samsung DVD/VCR combo that I bought when DVD was still new when I was in High School ten years ago, and it's still a good player.

Bought one of these about 6-9 months ago.
http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/blu-ray-dvd/hdmi-1080p-divx-ultra-dvp5992_f7/prd/us/

Have really liked it if for no other reason then it has the USB port so you can jack digital movies or photos into it.
Think I bought a refurbished one for about $50.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »

Forgot the link to the one I was thinking about getting:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4248719&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »

Bought one of these about 6-9 months ago.
http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/blu-ray-dvd/hdmi-1080p-divx-ultra-dvp5992_f7/prd/us/

Have really liked it if for no other reason then it has the USB port so you can jack digital movies or photos into it.
Think I bought a refurbished one for about $50.
Yeah, this one looks solid as well.

They have 4 refurbished on Amazon for under $50 after shipping...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »
Yes. No.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:14:15 PM »
Yeah, this one looks solid as well.

They have 4 refurbished on Amazon for under $50 after shipping...

I can't tell a difference.  I put it in the category of when people say something "is 30 times better quality that a CD".  Well guess what there dog ears?  CD's have a range greater than humans can perceive.  Nice marketing but in the real world seems to mean very little.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »
I can't tell a difference.  I put it in the category of when people say something "is 30 times better quality that a CD".  Well guess what there dog ears?  CD's have a range greater than humans can perceive.  Nice marketing but in the real world seems to mean very little.
Hmmm.

I didn't really expect it to match up head to head with Blu-Ray, but I expected it to be a better picture than a standard DVD player.

So the concensus from both of you is not a damn bit of difference?

Oh well, like I said, I'll probably get one of these two models anyway since they're under $50, and you can't really get a good one that will last for less than that anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
Hmmm.

I didn't really expect it to match up head to head with Blu-Ray, but I expected it to be a better picture than a standard DVD player.

So the concensus from both of you is not a damn bit of difference?

Oh well, like I said, I'll probably get one of these two models anyway since they're under $50, and you can't really get a good one that will last for less than that anyway.

You may be one of those aficionados that truly can tell a difference.  I can't. 
I can tell a difference in them and Blu Ray but even that at this stage of the game is marginal in my opinion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 03:44:22 PM »
I consider myself a videophile and I don't see a huge difference.  Blueray yes, but even then on some movies...eh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »
I consider myself a videophile and I don't see a huge difference.  Blueray yes, but even then on some movies...eh.

hmmm..."some movies" 

is this on older movies re-released as blue-ray HD?  rather than movies made in the last year or two (i.e. transformers 2).

see...i haven't bought a blue-ray player just yet because i don't want to spend the money on a player and the movie to get results near dvd quality. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
hmmm..."some movies" 

is this on older movies re-released as blue-ray HD?  rather than movies made in the last year or two (i.e. transformers 2).

see...i haven't bought a blue-ray player just yet because i don't want to spend the money on a player and the movie to get results near dvd quality. 
I haven't switched, and likely won't, because this is my DVD collection.

http://chizad.dvdaf.com/owned

And I too can't notice enough of a difference worth paying $30 apiece to replace these.

I was hoping the UpConverting DVD Player would get me as close as possible without having to make the big plunge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »

And I too can't notice enough of a difference worth paying $30 apiece to replace these.

I was hoping the UpConverting DVD Player would get me as close as possible without having to make the big plunge.
Walmart is selling the Magnavox Blu Ray player for $78 on Black Friday, Blu Ray also upconverts standard Dvd's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 08:13:38 PM »
Walmart is selling the Magnavox Blu Ray player for $78 on Black Friday, Blu Ray also upconverts standard Dvd's.

I thought BluRay didn't upconvert, only HDDVD players did...

I mean, like I said, I don't plan on buying BluRays anytime soon, if ever, but I wonder if it'd be worth having just to have for rentals and whatnot...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »

holy video collection, batman.  i think we have auchadflix.com in the making.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 11:28:20 PM »

I thought BluRay didn't upconvert, only HDDVD players did...

I mean, like I said, I don't plan on buying BluRays anytime soon, if ever, but I wonder if it'd be worth having just to have for rentals and whatnot...
Amazon $149 Lg blu-Ray player will stream Netflix, for $149 with 3 free Blu-Rays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »
Buy a used PS3 with a small hard drive from a crackhead. 

Everyone is dumping the 40 - 60 gig ones now to get the larger capacity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »
Fuck, you guys keep raising the price on me.

I'd go PS3 solely for the upconversion and having it be able to connect to the internet/home network. BluRay and video games would be an added bonus.

I'm not a gamer. I'm the only heterosexual guy my age I know that could give a shit about Call of Duty, etc.

I have a Wii. Occasionally something like Punch Out!!! will come out that will spark my interest enough to use it for a few hours, and then I quit playing.

However, if you know of anyone "dumping" a PS3 for $100 or less, let me know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »
I bought a Toshiba Upconvert DVD/Recorder at SAms for $100.  The HDMI output is the only thing I believe to categorize a DVD player as an upconvert.  The one I have lets you pick the output from 720p, 1080i, to 1080P. It looks really good on my 47in lcd, but my Blue Ray has a more vivid picture on blacks and fast motion.  But they are better than a std dvd player.  Walmart had some sony's for 50 bucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 09:17:27 AM »
I'm not a gamer. I'm the only heterosexual guy my age I know that could give a shit about Call of Duty, etc.

I have a Wii. Occasionally something like Punch Out!!! will come out that will spark my interest enough to use it for a few hours, and then I quit playing.
The first followed by the second makes you gay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum