AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Both fascinating...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »
and freaking brilliant...

http://bestworstmovie.com/trailer/

Look interesting...cool story...
I loved both the Troll movies when I was a kid. I had them both on VHS.

Troll 2 was clearly way way way way worse, but as a kid I still liked it. I gotta watch it again as an adult, because I fuckin love movies that are so bad they're good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »
The Last Starfighter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
HOLY FUCK!!!!

I just noticed after watching the trailer again...the dental assistant for the dentist who was the main character is fucking wearing Auburn scrubs...no fucking shit...

FULL FUCKING CIRCLE BABY!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
Shit...the next dude talking is wearing an Auburn hat...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »
Damn...this dude is now a dentist in Alexander City...

This is cool as shit...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:47:56 AM »
And he was an Auburn cheerleader...

I am not making this shit up...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »
After watching the trailer more than 15 times, War Eagle!!! finally realizes that the films main character now resides in the state of..............get this.......ALABAMA........

Two decades later, the film’s now-grown-up child star (Michael Paul Stephenson) unravels the improbable, heartfelt story of the Alabama dentist-turned-cult movie icon and the Italian filmmaker who come to terms with this genuine, internationally revered cinematic failure.

Just as I remember.

MY EYES......MY EYES......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:49:53 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »
HAHAHA...I am fascinated...what a waste of a morning...

George Hardy knew something wasn't right when he found out there weren't any trolls in “Troll 2.”

Just goblins.

Veggie-eating, burlap-sack-wearing goblins in discount-store masks that couldn’t scare a trick-or-treater on Halloween.

“At that time, you’re starting to put things together,” the 54-year-old Hardy recalls. “And you think, ‘Oh my gosh, what is this going to look like? Maybe on film, it won’t quite look as bad as it really does in real life.’”

No, when “Troll 2” came out on video in 1990 — the movie was so awful that it never had a U.S. theatrical release — it even looked worse than it did in real life.

So bad, in fact, that it’s currently ranked No. 85 on the Internet Movie Database’s “Bottom 100” list of the worst movies ever made.

It is a dubious honor that has made the gregarious Hardy — who played the father in “Troll 2” and now practices dentistry in Alexander City — a cult hero among the film’s hard-core fans and somewhat of a local legend in his hometown.

And from the cinematic sewer has risen a little screen gem titled “Best Worst Movie,” an affectionate documentary about the wacky goings-on that surrounded the making of “Troll 2” and the devoted fans who continue to worship the movie two decades later.

“So rather than being in one of the worst films ever, now I’m in one of the best,” Hardy says. “It is just rocking the documentary world now.”

Selected as the opening-night film at this year’s Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival, “Best Worst Movie” shows at 8 tonight at the Alabama Theater.

Hardy will be there with bells on, and he’s invited an entourage that includes family and friends from Alexander City, assistants from his dentist’s office, old buddies from dental school, and former Auburn University classmates from Hardy’s college days as an AU cheerleader.

“Can you imagine seeing it for the first time at the Alabama Theatre?” Hardy says. “How cool is that?”

(For those who don’t know what the fuss is all about, Sidewalk also will screen “Troll 2,” the inspiration for “Best Worst Movie,” at 3:45 p.m. Saturday in the Alabama Power building.)

After graduating from the University of Alabama School of Dentistry at UAB, Hardy was practicing dentistry in Salt Lake City in 1989 when, more or less on a lark, he auditioned for a role in a little low-budget horror-fantasy film called “Troll 2” that was filming in nearby Morgan, Utah.

“I’ve always been a big ham,” Hardy remembers. “When I was in high school, I took a drama class and was in a play, and, of course, being in front of thousands and thousands of fans at Auburn as a cheerleader, I wasn’t afraid to get in front of any camera at all. So I thought, ‘What the heck?’

“The day after I auditioned, they called me up and said, ‘You’ve got the lead part of the dad.’ And I said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding.’”

The fact that “Troll 2” not only wasn’t a sequel but also had nothing to do with the original “Troll” that came out three years earlier should have been a suspicious sign of things to come.

Another tip-off that the movie might be bound for the junk heap was the fact that the director, Italian filmmaker Claudio Fragasso, and his wife and co-screenwriter Rossella Drudi, didn’t speak English, nor did the crew.

And then there was the convoluted plot — a story about a mild-mannered American family called the Waits, who swap houses with another family and end up in the little town of Nilbog (“goblin” spelled backwards), where vegetarian goblins encourage the Waitses to eat their food, which is all green, so, in turn, the goblins can eat the Waitses.

Confused? So was the cast.

“We were trying to decipher what the script meant,” Hardy says. “It was so discombobulated, we just could not figure out the script. It would just jump from scene to scene to scene.

“Finally, about the fifth or sixth day of shooting, I sat down at the table and there was green icing on the corn on the cob and all this green food and green everything, and I’m thinking, ‘What is going on?’”

Hardy got paid $1,500 for three weeks of work, and then he pretty much forgot all about “Troll 2” until around three years ago, when he ran across it on cable early one morning.

Later that afternoon, he says, he got a call from a public-radio station in South Carolina that was doing a piece on the “Troll 2” phenomenon — about which he knew very little at the time.

Then Hardy found out about a cast and crew reunion in Utah a few days later, and that’s where he got to experience the “Troll 2” cult firsthand.

“These kids are wanting my autograph and everything,” he says. “To these kids now, I’m kind of like Gilligan from ‘Gilligan’s Island.’ I’m like a real live Gilligan for them to meet.”

And for reasons Hardy still doesn’t fathom, they can’t get enough of “Troll 2.”

“A lot of them will turn it on to get their day started off right,” he says. “I say, ‘How many times have you watched it?’ And they say, ‘Oh, I’ve watched it 200 or 300 times at least.’

“And they know every single line of the film,” he adds. “In Boston and New York, 90 percent of the audience knows every line of the film. It’s amazing. I can’t even say my lines, and they know them all.”

On a trip to Los Angeles, Hardy reconnected with Michael Stephenson, who played Hardy’s son in “Troll 2,” and who pitched the idea of making a documentary about their experience. They agreed they’d be crazy not to do it.

Stephenson, who wrote and directed “Best Worst Movie,” chose to center the film around Hardy, who had moved back to Alexander City a year or so after making “Troll 2” and settled into his dentistry practice.

Hardy autographs a T-shirt for a fan at a “Troll 2” gathering. Writer-director Michael Stephenson, who played Hardy’s son in “Troll 2,” filmed more than 400 hours of footage for the 93-minute documentary “Best Worst Movie.” “I knew that Michael was gifted as a child,” Hardy says. (Special)  Interspersed with old clips from “Troll 2,” the film follows Hardy at home and work in Alexander City and as he makes the rounds to “Troll 2” events, mingling with fans and reminiscing with Fragasso, the director.

About 20 or so townspeople from Alex City are also in film, including Hardy’s dental assistants and his parents, Bill and Mary Ann Hardy.

“Dad is 89 and my mother is 87, which is kind of cool,” Hardy says. “They’ve seen it several times. They laughed.”

A straw-haired blonde with an infectious personality and a broad grin befitting a man who makes people smile for a living, Hardy lives in the Willow Point development on Lake Martin with his 16-year-old daughter, Lily, and tools around town in a white Infiniti convertible with a “TROLL 2” vanity plate. He and his former wife, Merry, also have a 26-year-old daughter, Lindsey, who lives outside San Diego.

Lily, a junior at Benjamin Russell High School who also appears in “Best Worst Movie,” just rolls her eyes when she brings friends over and her dad pulls out his well-used “Troll 2” DVD.

“Everybody who comes over to my house, my dad is like, ‘Hey, you should watch “Troll 2.”‘ I’m just like, ‘Oh, my God, not again,’” she says. “Everybody sits around on the couch watching ‘Troll 2.’ I’m like, ‘OK, can I get my friends back now?’”

In addition to the Sidewalk festival, “Best Worst Movie” also has played the SXSW Film Festival in Austin, Texas, the Silverdocs Documentary Film Festival in Washington, D.C., and the Fantasia International Film Festival in Montreal, where it won the public prize for best documentary.

While their film continues to play the festival circuit, Stephenson and Hardy are now raising money for a possible theatrical release in hopes that it will qualify for an Academy Award.

“I would love to see it have a chance at an Academy nomination because it’s such a different documentary,” Hardy says. “It’s not so depressing, and it has a different feel to it.”

Whatever happens, though, Hardy is clearly enjoying the ride.

“It’s been an awful lot of fun,” he says. “In a lot of ways, it’s miraculous that this has happened.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
That is pretty awesome. Never knew the Auburn connection, or even the Alabama connection until this.

I saw the original Troll when I was like 6 or 7. Scared the shit out of me. Probably is ridiculous itself if I watch it as an adult (which I soon will, now that I just purchased the two-pack for $5.46 on Amazon).

I saw Troll 2 in 1989 when it debuted at the video store. I was 7. Even at that age, I realized the dropoff in production, but seeing clips of it now, it's even worse than I remember.

Can't wait to watch these again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
I got the DVD's in. I'm watching Troll 1 now (not that it's necessary at all to watching Troll 2).

It's weird how I wouldn't have remembered anything about this movie, but watching it now, I know everything that's going to happen before it does. It all comes back as I'm watching it.

Julia Louis Dreyfus and Sonny Bono are in this movie (remember, Troll 1, not Troll 2, which this documentary is about).

Also interesting is the main character's name is Harry Potter and his son is Harry Potter Jr.

After googling, it appears that he tried to sue J.K. Rowling.
n one of two interviews, producer Charles Band stated that 'there are certain scenes in [Troll], not to mention the name of the main character, and this of course predates the Harry Potter books by many, many years. So there's that strange connection." In 2008, John Buechler's partner in the Troll remake, Peter Davy, said about Harry Potter: “In John's opinion, he created the first Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling says the idea just came to her. John doesn't think so.' As of June 18, 2009, John has filed a lawsuit against J.K. Rowling, claiming that she stole the idea for her famous series from Troll.'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions