Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jay Tate Interviews ESPN's Bruce Feldman...

Jay Tate Interviews ESPN's Bruce Feldman...
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:42:14 AM »
...about Auburn.

Another ESPN expert impressed with Auburn
Hey everyone. One of most esteemed HOTTIEs, JD The Biscuitator, requested earlier today that we talk with one Bruce Feldman of ESPN The Magazine, ESPN.com and the literature scene for his ideas about the Tigers.

That was a fine idea.

So I spoke with Feldman earlier today from his plush pad in suburban Los Angeles, where he no doubt is working on his next great piece of prose.

You should have his blog bookmarked. Also, his 2007 book "Meat Market," which examines how Ed Orgeron recruited at Ole Miss, deserves your time at some point.

Here's what he had to say about Chizik and the entire Auburn operation:
Q: So what have you noticed about Auburn from your perch on the West Coast?
A: He had such a splashy start. He beat West Virginia, which was a pretty good win. Won at Tennessee. They had a lull, sure, but to be 7-4 right now? That's a good year. There was such a negative blast of publicity with his hiring because people were so focused on what he did at Iowa State. That was deceiving. Auburn fans should be pleased with what they have.

Q: His start certainly was inauspicious -- with Barkley ripping him on the air and the 5-and-19 stuff. Did you hear much about that?
A: Not so much about that, but it was amazing to me -- to the national people -- that there was such an outcry against Tuberville. He had a bad year. Still, he didn't have all the stuff Fulmer had at Tennessee. I'm talking about the "Fulmer Cup" and all that. He had won a lot of big games and he'd beaten his arch-rival in the hardest of rivalries.

Q: Has your opinion of Chizik changed since he was hired by Auburn?
A: It's clear that he's a better coach now than he was three years ago. He was a really hot name three years ago, but he learned a lot from what happened at Iowa State. I can see him running things more intelligently at Auburn. Plus, you have to give him some credit for what has been happening at Iowa State this season. He was putting that program together from nothing. They had something when (ISU) started this season.

Q: What has been your opinion of their recruiting effort?
A: If they can close, they'll improve quickly. He clearly has good recruiters. It's harder now because Saban is there, but Georgia has slipped so far. That will help Auburn a lot. Those guys can move into Georgia and get kids that (UGA) would have locked up a few years ago. Now Auburn has that momentum.

One thing that really surprised me is how NFL guys see Auburn's talent level right now. I was talking to a scout the other day about Auburn and he said there's just not much there aside from Tate, Antonio Coleman and one of the offensive linemen. I'm guessing he meant Ziemba. He said they don't really have many play-makers. It surprised me to hear from him how depleted they are. That's not what I'm used to hearing.

Q: Where do you see Auburn in three years?
A: I think they're one of the three teams to watch -- it's Auburn, Arkansas and Tennessee as the upcoming programs. You still have Alabama and Florida at the top. LSU? I'm not sure about that anymore. There is room for someone to move up and it could be Auburn. They'll have a chance. It's cyclical. Alabama can't get every recruit out there. Florida can't get every recruit out there. If Chizik is smart, and I think he is, he'll make good decisions about which recruits to target and he'll improve that program very quickly. He already has.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Jay Tate Interviews ESPN's Bruce Feldman...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
...about Auburn.

Some interesting stuff:
Plus, you have to give him some credit for what has been happening at Iowa State this season. He was putting that program together from nothing.

One thing that really surprised me is how NFL guys see Auburn's talent level right now. I was talking to a scout the other day about Auburn and he said there's just not much there aside from Tate, Antonio Coleman and one of the offensive linemen. I'm guessing he meant Ziemba. He said they don't really have many play-makers. It surprised me to hear from him how depleted they are. That's not what I'm used to hearing.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
Some interesting stuff:

That last quote is interesting.  I asked a couple of weeks ago, besides Tate and Coleman, does anyone see another player that will see significant playing time on Sundays?  Not just making the squad but get some serious playing time.

It just doesn't seem like we have the horses we usually have, this year more so on D than anywhere else.  Who have we lost on D (that played or made impacts) that was there last year and are not on the team this year, be it graduation, injury, or whatever?

This is all I know for sure:

McNeil
Johnson
Evans
Marks
Powers
Blackmon
Doolittle
Pybus

Who else is missing from that list?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »

That last quote is interesting.  I asked a couple of weeks ago, besides Tate and Coleman, does anyone see another player that will see significant playing time on Sundays?  Not just making the squad but get some serious playing time.

It just doesn't seem like we have the horses we usually have, this year more so on D than anywhere else.  Who have we lost on D (that played or made impacts) that was there last year and are not on the team this year, be it graduation, injury, or whatever?

This is all I know for sure:

McNeil
Johnson
Evans
Marks
Powers
Blackmon
Doolittle
Pybus

Who else is missing from that list?

Aairon Savage
Drew Cole
Adam Herring (much of the season anyway)
Zach Clayton

Not to mention two that were thought to be in the mix for serious playing time that haven't made much of an impact due to injury in Nosa Eguae and Eltoro Freeman.  Eguae wasn't Tubs' recruit, but Freeman most certainly was.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:54:42 PM by Buzz Killington »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »
So that makes 12 form last years D that either started, had significant playing time, or made impacts that are out of the mix this year, either to the NFL, injury, or graduation?   Good god, I knew it was several but didn't realize it was that many.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
So that makes 12 form last years D that either started, had significant playing time, or made impacts that are out of the mix this year, either to the NFL, injury, or graduation?   Good god, I knew it was several but didn't realize it was that many.
The more i think about it, I think Cole redshirted last year...so he really can't count either.  But damn...11!
I'm not sure that this D would have been THAT much better even if Marks and Powers had stayed around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.