Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So This Makes...

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: So This Makes...
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 11:41:50 AM »
It's only paper.  Can't answer that question for several years.

07 was one of the best offensive line classes in college football.  How's that OL now?
Excelled in penalties, cant take that away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »
Tommy Tuberville says  :fu:

So what you're saying is that all the people whining their ass off about depth and blaming Tuberville should realize that there was no way for him to predict that the majority of the talent he signed in the Kodi Burns/Lee Ziemba class would not work out -- because it cannot be predicted.  

Therefore, their pie holes should be shut?

What I'm saying is that predicting any particular individual player to be a "5 star bust" or a "2 star diamond in the rought" can't be done with any degree of accuracy.  You can say that a certain number of them will or won't with a pretty good degree of accuracy, but picking which ones would be pure guess work unless you know them personally, or have some football knowledge about them that others don't.  Would you have predicted that those players in that class you mentioned would be busts?  (Easy to say "yes" NOW).  Plenty of data suggest that, percentage-wise, 5 stars work out better than 4 stars, and so on.  It's like you're fond of saying: "The exceptions don't disprove the rule".  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:32:05 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 06:19:34 PM »
What I'm saying is that predicting any particular individual player to be a "5 star bust" or a "2 star diamond in the rought" can't be done with any degree of accuracy.  You can say that a certain number of them will or won't with a pretty good degree of accuracy, but picking which ones would be pure guess work unless you know them personally, or have some football knowledge about them that others don't.  Would you have predicted that those players in that class you mentioned would be busts?  (Easy to say "yes" NOW).  Plenty of data suggest that, percentage-wise, 5 stars work out better than 4 stars, and so on.  It's like you're fond of saying: "The exceptions don't disprove the rule".  

No, I would NOT have predicted them to crash as disastrously as they have.  Not at all. 

THUS...

You cannot blame Tommy Tuberville for -- unless he had a magical crystal ball and could see into the future -- he could not have anticipated the level of attrition either.  Throwing stones at him is a failed enterprise now, because as you've eloquently stated, there was no human way to predict that the tremendous class he signed (on paper) would shatter as it has.

Kaos for the win. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Ogre

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2009, 12:25:35 AM »
No, I would NOT have predicted them to crash as disastrously as they have.  Not at all. 

THUS...

You cannot blame Tommy Tuberville for -- unless he had a magical crystal ball and could see into the future -- he could not have anticipated the level of attrition either.  Throwing stones at him is a failed enterprise now, because as you've eloquently stated, there was no human way to predict that the tremendous class he signed (on paper) would shatter as it has.

Kaos for the win. 

Hold the phone.

I distinctly remember Rivals labeling a number of the recruits as 'projects' or otherwise dropping hints that we would a lot of sign-and-place kids in Tuberville's last few recruiting classes.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm too lazy to do the research right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2009, 06:11:59 AM »
Hold the phone.

I distinctly remember Rivals labeling a number of the recruits as 'projects' or otherwise dropping hints that we would a lot of sign-and-place kids in Tuberville's last few recruiting classes.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm too lazy to do the research right now.

Yes you are correct.  You are lazy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Ogre

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:41 AM »
Hold the phone.

Now that I'm sober, does this post even make sense in the context of this thread?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
Now that I'm sober, does this post even make sense in the context of this thread?

It only makes sense if it somehow instigates a slap fight between Kaos and Chopper.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »

It only makes sense if it somehow instigates a slap fight between Kaos and Chopper.

No more slap fights...that's over.

For the first time in a while...we're on the same page...   Go figure.  We disagree on the degree of blame that Tuberville should, shouldn't receive on this subject.  However, we DO agree that constantly bringing it up now might be a little lame.  He did ten times the good for the bad at the end to matter now.

We'll have to see down the road a little more how Chizik and this staff handle the situation.  Some are happy, some are pissed off and discouraged.  It's natural.   I'm cool with that.

...and for the record...  It made sense.  I chuckle still thinking about a big smile on  :bowl: as he tried to hack it out on the keyboard though...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
Yeah, I think it took me 15 minutes to type that out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »
No, I would NOT have predicted them to crash as disastrously as they have.  Not at all.  

THUS...

You cannot blame Tommy Tuberville for -- unless he had a magical crystal ball and could see into the future -- he could not have anticipated the level of attrition either.  Throwing stones at him is a failed enterprise now, because as you've eloquently stated, there was no human way to predict that the tremendous class he signed (on paper) would shatter as it has.

Kaos for the win.  

You seem to be arguing against my point, which is in line with yours.  I only blame Tubs for the last class or two.  Some blame has to go to him for the attrition too, but much of that is also due to the coaching change.  Those that don't know...Rich Rod is playing with less scholarship players at Mich than Chizik is at Auburn.  They weren't on probation either, but rather had the same type scenario Auburn had the last few years.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:27:34 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2009, 12:24:58 PM »
Hold the phone.

Sign and place isn't an athletic project, it's an academic project. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions