Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Motorola Droid

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Motorola Droid
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
It looks so badass.

I just got my iPhone right before the 3GS dropped, about 6 months ago. Just switch to AT&T and now I want out already.

Must...be...patient...

I'll probably pick up the next generation Droid, but I hope to God it comes out early next year at the latest.

It truly is everything the iPhone isn't.

Interchangeable battery, SD card support, TURN BY TURN GPS (better than the one I actually have in my car) standard with the phone, and best of all, completely open. The stuff you can get through the store is less red-tape than the stuff on the apple store, but on top of that, you can get any app from any joe schmo's website, no problem. And you don't have to fuck with iTunes.

A guy I work with has one. Got all kinds of cool free shit through the Android store for free (like Doom, an NES ROM EMULATOR, and pretty much any decent free app you can get on iPhone. He showed me this constellation app that I can't describe, you've just gotta check it out. Basically like those virtual reality stations they used to have like 15 years ago.

Bottom line, I don't know if I'm going to hold out much longer to pick this bad boy up...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Motorola Droid
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
Interesting to hear from someone who does have an iphone.  First good or bad I have heard from anyone I would consider credible.  Are they locked into one carrier?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:58:32 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »
Interesting to hear from someone who does have an iphone.  First good or bad I have heard from anyone I would consider crediable.  Are they locked into one carrier?
Right now Verizon.

Granted, I have only played on it a little bit, but I am shocked at all the reviews that basically say "The closest so far, but still no iPhone".

They've gotta be Apple fanboys and/or AT&T loyalists.

The only negative aspect is the pinch zoom I'm used to on the iPhone isn't there on any of the canned apps on the Droid. All the third party apps have them, but for some reason, the standard ones don't. Obviously the capability's there.

I guess because they're afraid of getting sued from Apple? Still, you can double tap, the same way you can on an iPhone to zoom, and also if you lay your finger across it, a little magnifying glass with a minus and one with a plus appears in the bottom right corner.

Other than that, it has everything the iPhone has, plus the openness that Google excels at and Apple absolutely sucks dick with.

I had a Motorola Q for like 4 years. I even broke it and bought a new one at one point in there.

I love being able to put whatever the fuck I want on my phone (I used the NES emulator all the fucking time, and thought about jailbreaking my iPhone to get one on it).

From what I saw, I want to break my contract and buy one today...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:04:44 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »
Oh, and the touch screen is exactly like the iPhone with the keyboard, but you have the additonal option of sliding out the full qwerty keyboard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »
but you have the additonal option of sliding out the full qwerty keyboard.
See I wouldn't like it because of that.  I am not an Apple fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but I love teh iphone, it is by far the best gadget I have ever purchased.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
See I wouldn't like it because of that.  I am not an Apple fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but I love teh iphone, it is by far the best gadget I have ever purchased.
I thought the same thing til I played with this.
It has the exact same keyboard as the iPhone, but the slideout qwerty is just gravy on top. Good for typing while driving, for example.
Apparently the one their coming out with next quarter will be sans pullout keyboard to make it een thinner (it's already just as thin as the iPhone).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 01:38:17 AM »
Battery life is the only thing that matters to me any more. 

My stinking damn iPhone will be deader than Alexander Hamilton's dog in an hour or two if I do anything that requires internet access. 

Texting, looking up shit on the web, using the map, checking email or anything like that drains the battery like piss pouring from a fucking boot.  I bitched to Apple and their solution was to set the email to check less regularly, like maybe once an hour or two. 

Fuck that. This is my business phone.  I can't sit around for an hour twiddling my dick when I rely on email to let me know if the server is down or I get a voice mail at the office. 

Like Saturday.  I charged it all the way to the game.  Got there at 10.  Sent a couple of texts to some friends to arrange some meetings, answered an email, called the wife to help her and my daughter figure out where to park. 

Get to the stadium at 12:30 and I'm having a problem with the camera so I try to look up the answer on Google. Won't go through, I guess because every sorority whore in the place is texting her BFF standing right beside her and the airways are clogged. Whatever.

By halftime, my iPhone is a fucking brick. Completely dead. 

That'w worthless to me.  Absolutely fucking worthless.

I keep the shitting thing on a charger. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »
Battery life is the only thing that matters to me any more. 

My stinking damn iPhone will be deader than Alexander Hamilton's dog in an hour or two if I do anything that requires internet access. 

Texting, looking up shit on the web, using the map, checking email or anything like that drains the battery like piss pouring from a fucking boot.  I bitched to Apple and their solution was to set the email to check less regularly, like maybe once an hour or two. 

Fuck that. This is my business phone.  I can't sit around for an hour twiddling my dick when I rely on email to let me know if the server is down or I get a voice mail at the office. 

Like Saturday.  I charged it all the way to the game.  Got there at 10.  Sent a couple of texts to some friends to arrange some meetings, answered an email, called the wife to help her and my daughter figure out where to park. 

Get to the stadium at 12:30 and I'm having a problem with the camera so I try to look up the answer on Google. Won't go through, I guess because every sorority whore in the place is texting her BFF standing right beside her and the airways are clogged. Whatever.

By halftime, my iPhone is a fucking brick. Completely dead. 

That'w worthless to me.  Absolutely fucking worthless.

I keep the shitting thing on a charger. 

-K

Try this...

1.  Settings > General > Location Services Off  (GPS you dont need this on all the time, you can switch it on when needed)
2.  Settings > Brightness > Auto-Brightness- OFF (Set it to what you like and leave it the auto brightness wastes battery, I have mine set between Half and 1/4)
3.  Settings > Mail/Contacts/Calendar > Fetch New Data > Make sure PUSH is off...this is a HUGE battery waster, set your email to receive every 30 mins or hour.

These are the main settings I have, I use mine a ton, including listening to sports radio on it for 30 minutes home and back each drive.  I get about a day and a half on mine, using the above and avg use.

Some other settings you can turn off, if you don't use them a lot.  At work we have no wifi so I normally turn that off.  If you don't use bluetooth (I don't) make sure that is off.  Thats about it...see if that helps. 

I know some people will even turn off 3G if they are not using the internet, because it doesn't matter on calls.  I get sufficient use out of my battery and don't want to have to turn this on and off so I don't do this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »
-K

Try this...

1.  Settings > General > Location Services Off  (GPS you dont need this on all the time, you can switch it on when needed)
2.  Settings > Brightness > Auto-Brightness- OFF (Set it to what you like and leave it the auto brightness wastes battery, I have mine set between Half and 1/4)
3.  Settings > Mail/Contacts/Calendar > Fetch New Data > Make sure PUSH is off...this is a HUGE battery waster, set your email to receive every 30 mins or hour.

These are the main settings I have, I use mine a ton, including listening to sports radio on it for 30 minutes home and back each drive.  I get about a day and a half on mine, using the above and avg use.

Some other settings you can turn off, if you don't use them a lot.  At work we have no wifi so I normally turn that off.  If you don't use bluetooth (I don't) make sure that is off.  Thats about it...see if that helps. 

I know some people will even turn off 3G if they are not using the internet, because it doesn't matter on calls.  I get sufficient use out of my battery and don't want to have to turn this on and off so I don't do this.

Droid solves most of these problems. Push outlook. Push Gmail. Push gtalk. Everything pushes instead of pulls on a schedule.

Also, today the guy I work with showed me an app where he types in the name of a song and it lists 50 different urls hosting the mp3, and you can just click whichever you choose and download it to your phone (and since there's no iTunes redtape, it's easily transferable to your computer to do whatever the fuck you want with it).

That's the app he has. The possibilities are endless for stuff like this. I'm sure there's a better version of that very app.

I'm sold. I've got to break my damn contract with AT&T sharpish...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
Droid solves most of these problems. Push outlook. Push Gmail. Push gtalk. Everything pushes instead of pulls on a schedule.

Also, today the guy I work with showed me an app where he types in the name of a song and it lists 50 different urls hosting the mp3, and you can just click whichever you choose and download it to your phone (and since there's no iTunes redtape, it's easily transferable to your computer to do whatever the fuck you want with it).

That's the app he has. The possibilities are endless for stuff like this. I'm sure there's a better version of that very app.

NERD!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »

Grass is always greener...I'm happy with what I got.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
Also: You have google talk. Which means free phone calls through VOIP. When you pick a contact out of your contacts and select their number a message box pops up asking if you want to call them using your minutes or Google Talk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »
Also: You have google talk. Which means free phone calls through VOIP. When you pick a contact out of your contacts and select their number a message box pops up asking if you want to call them using your minutes or Google Talk.

People still buy minutes?  How quaint.

$99 - unlimited minutes, texts, data.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
Verizon does have a way better network then AT&T I will give you that.  Of course more expensive too.

My coverage with AT&T is pretty good down here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 05:10:10 PM »
People still buy minutes?  How quaint.

$99 - unlimited minutes, texts, data.
$99 + Taxes...that adds up.

I'd only need the $59.99 450 minutes + Unlimited texts. But I have to buy the data plan which is an extra $30 they'll stick you for.

All in all though, I'll be paying less for that plan.

I'm on the cusp...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »
I'm with you, Chad.  I'm stuck in my AT&T contract for another year, and to get out of it will cost $250.  Add $200 for the new phone, and that's paying $450 total to switch from the iPhone to the Droid.  Part of me wants to just suck it up and do it, but right now I'm leaning towards sticking out my current contract and hoping that they will come out with a newer version a year from now.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
$99 + Taxes...that adds up.

I'd only need the $59.99 450 minutes + Unlimited texts. But I have to buy the data plan which is an extra $30 they'll stick you for.

All in all though, I'll be paying less for that plan.

I'm on the cusp...

Once you go verizon you are stuck though. There new contracts have a new early termination fee for ending the contract which could end up costing you a good $175. But you'll probably still pay it and end the contract early when a new iphone comes out or some other phone on another network because you're a nerd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
I'm with you, Chad.  I'm stuck in my AT&T contract for another year, and to get out of it will cost $250.  Add $200 for the new phone, and that's paying $450 total to switch from the iPhone to the Droid.  Part of me wants to just suck it up and do it, but right now I'm leaning towards sticking out my current contract and hoping that they will come out with a newer version a year from now.

I've got to have a bit of restraint. I think the wisest option would be wait another couple of months at least.

Here's the only thing that is holding me back, besides the $400+ I'd have to spend to switch.

There's a 256MB app storage limit. You can't use the SD card for apps. I have over a gig of apps on my iPhone. Granted, most of those are bullshit games I never play, that could easily be replaced with an NES ROM emulator...

Regardless, I feel like someone will come out with something that uses Android 2.0 besides the droid that will be an improvement hardware wise.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:09:49 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
Another feature I like: The browser supports flash 10, whereas iPhone's browser doesn't support flash at all...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 06:38:09 PM »