Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

This is one arrogant statement

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: This is one arrogant statement
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »
GM was co-OC at Tulsa in charge of the passing game in Todd Graham's offense. The same O that Applewhite ran very successfully under him at Rice.
www.firemajorapplewhite.com

The Owls hated him, as did the bammers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »
It's better to let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Not a single thing he mentioned re: Arkansas or Gus at Tulsa was accurate.  Or even close to accurate.

I don't even follow Arky football that closely and I can say without any shadow of a doubt that this is 100% horsehockey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »
Yea well there is a lot of bush though
Probably the nasty, scrubby, tangled, all natural, chigger infested kind tho... [shudder]
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 07:50:04 AM »
Probably the nasty, scrubby, tangled, all natural, chigger infested kind tho... [shudder]

Ahh.  The elusive Serengeti bush.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jadennis

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »
BamaInBham
BamaNation First Team

Friends: 2

Re: Auburn's Offensive Coordinator, Gus Malzahn, getting it done!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was essentially relieved of his OC duties mid season at Ark because he wanted to throw the ball with Mustain rather than run McFadden and Jones.

None of us were there behind closed doors, but you would have to get Malzahn to personally call me on my cell phone and admit to what you just wrote above before I would consider believing it....and even then I might just think one of the Springdale parents was holding a gun to his head.

Look at his history....as short as it is, there is no reason to think he didn't want to run McFadden and Jones, that's just ridiculous.  Look at interviews he's had about 2007 and 2008 Tulsa.  In 2007 they threw the ball over 385 yards and ran it for only 170+.  However, he stated that it was because they weren't effective at running the ball and he would have preferred to run it more.  In 2008, the line was better and so he did run it more...nearly 100 yards more (almost 270 yards a game) and threw for just over 300.

He probably wanted to throw more than the 15 attempts per game that they did, but to say he didn't want to run McFadden and Jones just goes against everything we've observed about Malzahn.  

Regardless of the play-calling preference that he may have had or not had, there are two things you can look at to see that he had zero freedom in controlling the offense his way.....number of plays and tempo.

Since you claim he was relieved of his duties midway, look just at the first six games.  
Here are the number of plays run game by game: 59, 60, 59, 53, 55, and 64 (58 avg).  
Compare that to his first five games at Auburn this year: 79, 83, 74, 63, and 83 (76 avg).  

To make it so simple as "he didn't want to run McFadden and Jones" is just a Nutt version of why things didn't work out.  It's obvious that from game one (59 plays), Nutt wasn't letting Malzahn control the offense.  That was the problem....anything beyond that (passing or running) is irrelevant.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:07:16 AM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

boartitz

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »
None of us were there behind closed doors, but you would have to get Malzahn to personally call me on my cell phone and admit to what you just wrote above before I would consider believing it....and even then I might just think one of the Springdale parents was holding a gun to his head.

Look at his history....as short as it is, there is no reason to think he didn't want to run McFadden and Jones, that's just ridiculous.  Look at interviews he's had about 2007 and 2008 Tulsa.  In 2007 they threw the ball over 385 yards and ran it for only 170+.  However, he stated that it was because they weren't effective at running the ball and he would have preferred to run it more.  In 2008, the line was better and so he did run it more...nearly 100 yards more (almost 270 yards a game) and threw for just over 300.

He probably wanted to throw more than the 15 attempts per game that they did, but to say he didn't want to run McFadden and Jones just goes against everything we've observed about Malzahn.  

Regardless of the play-calling preference that he may have had or not had, there are two things you can look at to see that he had zero freedom in controlling the offense his way.....number of plays and tempo.

Since you claim he was relieved of his duties midway, look just at the first six games.  
Here are the number of plays run game by game: 59, 60, 59, 53, 55, and 64 (58 avg).  
Compare that to his first five games at Auburn this year: 79, 83, 74, 63, and 83 (76 avg).  

To make it so simple as "he didn't want to run McFadden and Jones" is just a Nutt version of why things didn't work out.  It's obvious that from game one (59 plays), Nutt wasn't letting Malzahn control the offense.  That was the problem....anything beyond that (passing or running) is irrelevant.  
I didn't say that. Copy and paster from a Bammer board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
I didn't say that. Copy and paster from a Bammer board.

I think he knew that.  I thought he was just giving you some ammo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 10:35:04 AM »
    Oh I don't know, maybe he was thinking I'd like to play for a coach who puts QB's in the NFL??  Or maybe he was thinking I'd like to go back to my favorite school and rewrite the record books? (already had two in 5 games - most TD's in a game and most yards in a game).
     Actually, he was probably thinking, I'd like to go to Alabama, but $aban is a total asshole, he treats his players like shit, their fans are a bunch of shitbirds, and they haven't put a decent qb in the league since the drunk in the pressbox played. I guess I could play there a few years then hang out with Jay Barker on the radio.  Nah, I think I'll go back home instead.
Are you seriously trying to tell me that ONLY at Arkansas he would have the opportunity to break a few records? I'm pretty sure any SEC school, with the exception of UF, would have taken him. I guess if he was only concerned with breaking records, but didn't give a shit about winning, then Arkansas was the right choice for him. But that would also make him one of the dumbest players in college football. Outside of UF, I think he would have had a good shot at playing at any SEC school this season.

Greg McElroy has already re-written one record. The offense under his direction has broken another record as well, scoring over 30 points in 5 straight games. Our first 3 games, we've had 500 or more yards on offense. With a QB who has never started a game before.

AU has scored the most points in the SEC, and Alabama is only a TD behind them. Can you just imagine had he gone to AU? They would be scoring 80 points a game with 700 yards of offense a game probably. Their offense has already broken a few records, I think. Only problem is, I don't think he's a "system" QB.

Its not like Arkansas has the only QB in the league breaking some records. Say what you want about Alabama and who we've put in the NFL. JPW seems to be doing well. The Falcons actually cut the QB that was in front of JPW that has been in the NFL. So, apparently he didn't do so terribly. If McElroy keeps it together this season and next, I would imagine he would be drafted in a respectable round. Is CNS a dick? Yes. Is it tough to play for him? Yes. Are you probably going to win a shitload of games and get alot of attention from NFL scouts playing for him? Yes.

Not happening so much playing for Arkansas. But like I said, if he just wants to break some records and doesn't give a shit about winning games, then Arkansas is the right place for him. I know some here said Arkansas would me much improved this season, but I said it then and I'll say it now; you're wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

boartitz

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »
Running a pro style offense under Petrino will prepare him for the pros. He wanted to go to Arkansas right out of high school, but Nutt wanted him to play TE.
You're right, he is not a "system" QB. That's why he knew it was time to go when RichRod became the coach at Mich. He may draft as high as any QB in the SEC this year, just on his size and raw ability alone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
He went to Arkansas because of what he saw Petrino do at Louisville.  End of story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
He went to Arkansas because of what he saw Petrino do at Louisville.  End of story.
Too bad Petrino is the new Spurrier.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
Too bad Petrino is the new Spurrier.

I don't think I would count Petrino out quite yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »

Maybe not yet, but with Auburn, Florida and Ole Miss in the next 3 weeks, he's looking at possibly starting 0-5 in SEC play.

If that ain't a 10 count for this season, I'm not sure what is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »
If he had a recruiting base like we have here in Alabama, then maybe I would agree with you. If he had something to work with right off the bat, maybe I would agree with you. He has nothing on campus outside of Mallett. He has nothing spectacular coming in recruit wise. He isn't a beastly recruiter to begin with. Petrino will not be able to consistantly win in the SEC....you can write that down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
I think people (besides the casual fans) probably understood that Arkansas could actually be quite a bit better this year and end up with the same or only slightly better record.  

They get Georgia and Florida from the East, along with West road games of Alabama, Ole Miss, and LSU.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
If he had a recruiting base like we have here in Alabama, then maybe I would agree with you. If he had something to work with right off the bat, maybe I would agree with you. He has nothing on campus outside of Mallett. He has nothing spectacular coming in recruit wise. He isn't a beastly recruiter to begin with. Petrino will not be able to consistantly win in the SEC....you can write that down.

If he can't recruit, then you're right....you can't win anywhere if you can't recruit.  But you can win at Arkansas.  It's been done quite a bit through the years (everyone knows of Frank Broyles...he had eight 9 win seasons, including three 10+ win seasons from 64 to 68.  Then there was Dr Lou who had another four 9 win seasons in his 7 seasons there, including going 30-5 from 77 to 79.  Then Ken Hatfield went 48-13 from 85 to 89.  It was the Crowe, Kines, Ford era that derailed them...oh yeah, and joining the SEC).

But they are actually in a relatively good position as far as being an SEC school, so they can recruit in the southeast, but also being practically in Big 12 country.  There is no reason Arkansas can't get the Chase Daniels and Michael Crabtrees that schools like Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M are getting out of the southwest.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Argo

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »
I think people (besides the casual fans) probably understood that Arkansas could actually be quite a bit better this year and end up with the same or only slightly better record.  

They get Georgia and Florida from the East, along with West road games of Alabama, Ole Miss, and LSU.  

That depends on your stance of "better".  Aside from having a great quarterback, where are they better?  Michael Smith, who had over 1000 yards rushing last season, has only 180 yards on 32 carries.  He hasn't had more than 12 carries in a game yet.  Arkansas has no balance.  

The sad thing is, aside from having a good running back in Michael Smith, they also have a great freshman runningback in Ronnie Wingo Jr.  Of course, their only shot at meaningful touches will be screen plays.  

As for their schedule, it isn't any tougher this year than it was last year.  Trade Kentucky for Georgia, and Texas A&M for Texas.  Hell, I'd say it was tougher last year.   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:41:57 PM by Argo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 12:48:32 PM »
That depends on your stance of "better".  Aside from having a great quarterback, where are they better?  Michael Smith, who had over 1000 yards rushing last season, has only 180 yards on 32 carries.  He hasn't had more than 12 carries in a game yet.  Arkansas has no balance.  

The sad thing is, aside from having a good running back in Michael Smith, they also have a great freshman runningback in Ronnie Wingo Jr.  Of course, their only shot at meaningful touches will be screen plays.      
Diversity. Folks have been keying on Smith and you forgot DJ Williams. That is leaving our receivers more open. 3 of whom are in the top 10 in the SEC.
Smith and Williams are still threats, just not carrying the load like they had to last year. Casey Dick's favorite plays last year was to hand off to Smith or dink the ball to DJ. We have more options this year.
I like our freshman RBs. Wingo and Davis are gonna be good ones. Our big back transfer from USCwest has been running like a pussy up until last week.
One of these days, Alice, one of our backs will have a breakout day. Bobby will feed the hot hand.
I'm saving the Talley pic for Saturday. It's like a talisman, man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »
Diversity. Folks have been keying on Smith and you forgot DJ Williams. That is leaving our receivers more open. 3 of whom are in the top 10 in the SEC.
Smith and Williams are still threats, just not carrying the load like they had to last year. Casey Dick's favorite plays last year was to hand off to Smith or dink the ball to DJ. We have more options this year.
I like our freshman RBs. Wingo and Davis are gonna be good ones. Our big back transfer from USCwest has been running like a pussy up until last week.
One of these days, Alice, one of our backs will have a breakout day. Bobby will feed the hot hand.

Mods, if this man posts another Talley picture, I want him banned....banned I tell ya.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 01:05:51 PM »
You keep saying they are better than last year, and they have more options and weapons than last year, yet we still get the same results and performances from last year. You know what the only difference is from last year? Arkansas is beating scrub teams by more than 4 points, and they played us in Tuscaloosa this year. Thats pretty much it. Oh, and that they will lose to AU this weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions