Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 5

Thoughts - Week 5
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
Auburn...

- How many people said Ben Tate wasn't an SEC caliber running back?  I was leaning towards it.  I was ready to see him graduate.  His performance last night (and all season) was all-SEC worthy.  Besides the bruisers rumbling in Tuscaloosa, name a running back in the SEC that's playing better than Ben Tate.  I don't think you can.  I also don't think you'll see another running back truck Eric Berry so hard that he flies back 5 yards.  

- You can beat heart.  Heart will always get you moral victories, but it won't always get the W.  We were lucky to beat West Virginia with heart.  It drove us out of that 14-0 deficit and guided us to a huge comeback.  What happened in our game last night wasn't heart.  It was confidence.  And you can't beat confidence.  

- Our guys know they're going to win.  Did you watch Tennessee closely?  They didn't know they were going to win.  They wanted to win.  Some of them had the heart to win.  But they didn't know it.  In the end, they lost, but they got that heart-filled moral victory with a last second garbage touchdown.

- The bad news - we aren't a great team yet.  We are a very good football team.  Our offense can't be stopped.  If Tennessee's "best defense in the league" ($1 to Jesse Palmer) can't slow us down and limit us to less than 26 points, then no one can.  

- But why aren't we a great team?  We haven't been able to take advantage of those moments in the game where you press the foot onto the throat.  Bama does a great job of this as does Florida.  Last night, we had two or three opportunities where if we would have scored, it would have been so demoralizing that Tennessee couldn't have come back.  It's not a "put the game away" thing.  That's when there's too little time to comeback.  There was plenty of time left when we were up 13-6.  If we could have made it 20-6, Tennessee would have volunteered to end the game right then.  

Tennessee...

- Give up.  Fire Kiffin.  It's his 5th game and the wheels have already come apart.  Dan Mullen's team is struggling and losing, but they're fighting in every game.  They're trying to bust their ass for their new coach, and they believe the future is going to get better.

- When an ESPN reporter gives a quick tidbit about how your players are getting into fights with coaches, it's time you think about changing your philosophy.  Kiffin has been a loud mouthed troublemaker since the day he was hired.  They say a team reflects the persona of the head coach.  It seems like Kiffin's players are becoming loud mouthed troublemakers.  

- Why not run West Virginia's offense when they had Pat White?  Let Richardson line up at QB and play the option.  Crompton is the worst quarterback I've ever seen.  With Auburn coming up short on a couple of key drives, Tennessee had a chance to take the game over with a decent quarterback.

- It's only going to get worse.  Crompton is the best UT has right now, and last I checked, there aren't any stellar commitments for the future.  

Alabama...

- Anyone else still doubting this team?  I get it; McElroy has slow starts.  He's not as consistently accurate as JPW.  Their running game gets stifled for long periods of time until it breaks out for a few plays.  Their defense is showing weakness with Hightower out.  They still won 38-20.   They're still a great team.

- Without Hightower, this isn't the #1 team in the country.  It was obvious they missed him, and sure, the backups could get better.  However, from what I saw in the game, Alabama's defense will struggle against a high octane offense.  LSU, Auburn, and possibly Florida will all have opportunities to score points against Bama.  The question now becomes, who can stop Bama's offense?  

- It doesn't seem hard.  Just stack the box and stuff the running game.  I've noticed that McElroy can be very shakey at first.  Take his first pass of the game yesterday.  It was thrown behind the defender and almost bounced into the hands of a UK LB who had a clear shot towards the endzone.  What happens when someone picks that off?  What happens when McElroy throws a few INTs or gets significant pressure off the edges?

- I think this week against Ole Miss will be a very interesting game.

LSU...

- Same theme.  Obviously ridiculously talented.  I'd be willing to say the most talented in the SEC.  WHERE'S THE EXECUTION?  By execution, I don't mean running plays correctly.  Why isn't LSU executing the other team?  Firing squad.  Guillotine.  Electric chair.  Is that your fault, Les?  

- It's gotta be Les.  Or Crowton.  Why run the option ten times when it wasn't working?  I've seen that kind of playcalling before.  It doesn't set up anything other than 2nd or 3rd or 4th and long.  

Georgia...

- You've got another #24 it looks like.  That Elay kid was by far the best running back I saw on the field.  Start giving him some more carries, and we'll get another Moreno-type RB in Athens.  

- AJ Greene is the best receiver in the country.  

Oklahoma and Bob Stoops...

- I hate it for you.  Now you get to hear week after week about how if Bradford didn't get hurt, you'd be the #1 team in the country.  If only, if only.  

- There's no excuse.  When you're as talented as Oklahoma, you should be able to put together a gameplan to beat Miami after they got blown out 31-7.  But don't worry, if you would have had Sam Bradford, you would have won and probably be the #1 team in the country right now.  

Florida St and Bobby Bowden...

- It was a great run but terrible ending.  See ya Bowden.  I hear them sharpening the axe as I type this.  

- If Florida St knows what's best for them, they hand Fisher a $5 million check and say "good luck in life."  

October 10th...

- Are you all ready for this?!!!???!!??  

Auburn vs. Arkansas
Alabama vs. Ole Miss
Tennesse vs. Georgia
LSU vs. Florida

- I think this will be a great Saturday of SEC football.  

Final thought...

- We need a playoff.  Voters are starting to become sympathetic towards this mid major schools that can go undefeated in the North Pacific Coastal Canadian conference.  Why is Boise St ranked #5?  I saw the final score.  Boise St won big over UC Davis.  Why isn't anyone laughing and criticizing this supposed top 5 team for being up only 6-0 late in the 2nd quarter?  

- With Auburn's fast start, it's hard to believe that if we were ranked #10 to start the season, we wouldn't be cracking the top 5 right now.  It's all about preseason hype.  Since we were hyped in the preseason to suck, no one is giving us the credit we deserve.  I'm not saying we're a top 5 team.  I'm just saying no one knows truly how good we are or truly how bad Ole Miss is or truly how bad LSU is or truly how good South Florida is.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:38:05 AM by townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: Thoughts - Week 5
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:07 AM »
Good read.   :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:01:46 PM »
Thanks townhall. interesting as always.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

boartitz

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
Good read. I still like the fact that yall don't consider us at all.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »

Ok.  I have to ask.  Are you being serious with these subtle comments? 

You guys are staring 0-3 in SEC play dead in the face.  Nobody is considering Arkansas.  Not Alabama fans.  Not Georgia fans.  Not the New York Times. Not Auburn fans.  A Georgia team that struggled to find the endzone against a decent LSU defense, lit your asses up like Clark fucking Griswold.  Hell, Auburn may score a 100.  Seriously.  Their defense might paper thin, and they may have "Radio" running around the sidelines like the fucking team idiot, but they seriously have no reason to be concerned about this upcoming weekend. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »

I'm going to ask you this question......one......more......time.....

What the fuck does Arkansas have other than Ryan Mallett? Certainly nothing on the defensive side of the ball.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:44:09 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »
Ok.  I have to ask.  Are you being serious with these subtle comments? 

You guys are staring 0-3 in SEC play dead in the face.  Nobody is considering Arkansas.  Not Alabama fans.  Not Georgia fans.  Not the New York Times. Not Auburn fans.  A Georgia team that struggled to find the endzone against a decent LSU defense, lit your asses up like Clark fucking Griswold.  Hell, Auburn may score a 100.  Seriously.  Their defense might paper thin, and they may have "Radio" running around the sidelines like the fucking team idiot, but they seriously have no reason to be concerned about this upcoming weekend. 

Radio? I chortled aloud.  +2 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."