Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

It's about to get Really Ugly in Tallahassee.....

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
It's about to get Really Ugly in Tallahassee.....
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
Uglier than it already is.

Ann Bowden: Bobby betrayed as pressure builds at Florida State

TALLAHASSEE - Ann Bowden, wife of Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden, told the Orlando Sentinel her husband has been betrayed by the chairman of the school's board of trustees and other boosters as pressure builds on the Seminoles legend to retire amid the program's worst start since 1983.

"I am angry," Ann Bowden said Monday. "I'm angry at some of our boosters that Bobby has worked for and supported, raised money for. And he's been such a top quality person, such great character and everything for this university. And for them to turn their back on him like that -- I don't care if he is 80 years old . . ."

On Sunday in the aftermath of the Seminoles' loss to Boston College, trustee chairman Jim Smith declared to the Tallahassee Democrat that "enough is enough" for the Bowden era at FSU.

Bobby Bowden declined comment Monday at his weekly booster luncheon, but Ann Bowden fired back in an interview with the Sentinel.

"I'm disappointed in Jim Smith, who's been a longtime friend," she said. "Jim Smith's been a longtime friend of ours. When we first came here and we struggled and Bobby went on the road for nothing to raise money for this university and traveled all over the state, set up most of these booster organizations because they were doing nothing when he came here -- trying to raise money."

"He helped to build that booster program . . . and they used him. They used him . . . and to me, that's so disrespectful. It's disrespectful to who he is, what he's done and I think it's very disrespectful of Jim Smith.

"I'm disappointed in Jim Smith. I'm disappointed in some of the other supposedly money people . . . they need to stay out of the coaching part. But that's my opinion. I'm just the coach's wife. And naturally I'm supportive of him. I've been with him for many, many years."

FSU (2-3, 0-2 in the ACC) is off to its worst start since 1983. After Saturday's 28-21 loss at Boston College, Bowden told the Orlando Sentinel he has no plans to step down anytime soon.

"What would I gain by stepping down right now?" Bobby said. "What would you do -- fire everybody and bring in a whole new coaching staff? You can't do that. I'll wait until the end of the year to evaluate myself."

Smith said the arrangement in which offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher has been designated as Bowden's successor is not working.

"Jimbo is in a very, very tough situation where people assume he has a whole lot more authority than he really has," Smith told The Associated Press. "He's getting blamed for a lot of things that's just not his fault."

Fisher is owed $5 million if he is not head coach at FSU by the 2011 season. The Democrat reported the school is in negotiations with Fisher on a new five-year contract to be head coach.

Bowden's 384 wins are three fewer than Penn State coach Joe Paterno, the career leader in victories among major college coaches. Bowden turns 80 in just over a month, and has a contract that gives him the option to return in 2010. However, he also could lose up to 14 victories as part of the school's NCAA infractions case currently under appeal, which, if unsuccessful would virtually assure Bowden has no chance to pass Paterno.

Smith told the Democrat: "My hope is frankly that we'll go ahead, and if we have to, let the world know that this year will be the end of the Bowden Era … I do appreciate what he's done for us, what he's done for the program, what's he done really for the state of Florida.

"But I think the record will show that the Seminole Nation has been more than patient. We have been in a decline not for a year or two or three but I think we're coming up on seven or eight. I think enough is enough."

Smith said Fisher should take over following Florida State's last game this season. Smith said the coach-in-waiting arrangement has resulted in division among the Florida State staff, an accusation Seminole coaches have vehemently denied.

"I know coaches are sniping at each other and that's just terrible," Smith said Monday. "There are too many mixed signals."

He also said fundraising has slowed significantly, and the school has an obligation to fans and alumni to be competitive.

"I take absolutely no pleasure in this," Smith said. "I love Bobby Bowden, but I tell you what, I love FSU more."

Ann Bowden said her husband has no intentions of stepping down before he is ready to do so. Ann said Bobby shouldn't have to be forced out. She said he'd tell him to continue coaching. She doesn't want him to hang it up at the end of the season.

"I don't think he is going to retire at the end of the season," she said. "That's my feeling,"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-fsu-bowden-betrayed-1005,0,1568421.story

:popcorn: :popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: It's about to get Really Ugly in Tallahassee.....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »
On a side note, I caught Pat Dye today on Finebaum and he basically said Bowden should have stepped down a long time ago.  Dye flatly stated that there is NO way that guys like Bowden and Paterno are actually coaching and handling their jobs the way they should be.  He said they are completely at the mercy of their assistants and have to hope they do the job. 

I agree.  They're both hanging on for the record.  FSU needs to clean house, give Jimbo his buyout and hey...go hire the black guy, Turner Gill.  Auburn wouldn't do it.  Racist bastards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »
On a side note, I caught Pat Dye today on Finebaum and he basically said Bowden should have stepped down a long time ago.  Dye flatly stated that there is NO way that guys like Bowden and Paterno are actually coaching and handling their jobs the way they should be.  He said they are completely at the mercy of their assistants and have to hope they do the job. 

I agree.  They're both hanging on for the record.  FSU needs to clean house, give Jimbo his buyout and hey...go hire the black guy, Turner Gill.  Auburn wouldn't do it.  Racist bastards.
That's what I've been saying....except the hiring of Coach Gill.  I think FSU will give Jimbo his buyout and go after Mark Richt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:07:53 PM »
That's what I've been saying....except the hiring of Coach Gill.  I think FSU will give Jimbo his buyout and go after Mark Richt.

AH-Greed.  I think Mr. Richt has about played all his cards in Jawja. He's good but he's never going to get over the hump in Athens.  I would imagine there's some shit going on behind the scenes as we speak..err..type.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:39:27 AM »
Dye is correct Bowden should have been gone along time ago. I think they have to much money tied up in Jimbo to go after another coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »
Dye is correct Bowden should have been gone along time ago. I think they have to much money tied up in Jimbo to go after another coach.
He has a $5 Million buyout if he's not named the HC by 2010.  I have no idea whether or not Diddy has a buyout...if he does, I want his agent, pronto.

I tend to agree on the Richt front.  I think he's just about played out in Athens, and he would be welcomed back in Tally Hassy with open arms, and open checkbooks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
He has a $5 Million buyout if he's not named the HC by 2010.  I have no idea whether or not Diddy has a buyout...if he does, I want his agent, pronto.

I tend to agree on the Richt front.  I think he's just about played out in Athens, and he would be welcomed back in Tally Hassy with open arms, and open checkbooks.

The east will b ecome a little easier to win next year with the loss of Tebow.  Richt may not be done yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »
The east will b ecome a little easier to win next year with the loss of Tebow.  Richt may not be done yet.

If you believe the blowhard Gaytor fans in NWFL, John Brantley is the second best QB in the SEC right now.  Just behind Timmy T.

Fucking unbelievable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
If you believe the blowhard Gaytor fans in NWFL, John Brantley is the second best QB in the SEC right now.  Just behind Timmy T.

Fucking unbelievable.

I second that motion.  There's a caller to our local show that calls about every other day and talks for 10-15 minutes about everything Gaytor.  He said the exact same thing this morning.  The host said if Teblow can't go, that will even things out a bit.

The reaction was..."No, no, no..Brantley has been there done that.  He's been to Baton Rouge at night.  He knows what it's all about."

Host: But he didn't play.

"That don't matter.  He's been in that atmosphere and he's easily the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the SEC right now behind Tebow".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions