Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn's New DC

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Auburn's New DC
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »
Paul Rhoads from Pitt, WJox in Birmingham is reporting.

PAUL RHOADS enters his eighth season as Pitt's defensive coordinator. After coaching the secondary each of the last seven years, Rhoads will change his positional focus this season to the Panthers' linebackers.

Under his direction, Pitt's defense has been regularly listed among the nation's leaders in various defensive categories. His track record of success led The Sporting News to name him the Big East's best defensive coordinator in its 2006 college football annual.

At the end of the 2005 season, Pitt ranked second nationally in pass defense, yielding just 152.82 yards per game, and sixth in pass efficiency defense with a 99.36 rating. The Panthers ranked 31st in overall defense, giving up 338 yards per contest.

In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions. Moreover, the Panthers scored four defensive touchdowns, one shy of the school single-season mark set in 1986.

During Pitt's victorious Insight Bowl season in 2002, the unit played at its highest level since the late 1980s. The Panthers ranked among the nation's top 25 in an impressive seven different categories and allowed their fewest points in a season since 1988 despite playing in a school-record 13 games.

In 2001, the Panthers gave up just 7.4 points and 182.6 yards over a five-game winning streak heading into the Visit Florida Tangerine Bowl. The unit ranked among the nation's top 30 in five different categories at season's end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks. It was the Panthers' highest sack total since the 1987 season.

As secondary coach, Rhoads has had four players taken in the last five NFL drafts, including Bernard "Josh" Lay (2006, New Orleans Saints), Shawntae Spencer (2004, San Francisco 49ers), Torrie Cox (2003, Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and Ramon Walker (2002, Houston Texans). Pitt's Darrelle Revis is expected to be among the first cornerbacks taken in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Under Rhoads' watch, Revis earned first team All-Big East for the second consecutive season in 2006. A semifinalist for the Thorpe Award, he scored three touchdowns, including two on interception returns and one on a thrilling 73-yard punt return against West Virginia. Revis is the first two-time first-team All-Big East defensive back at Pitt since Hank Poteat accomplished the feat in 1998 and 1999.

Rhoads joined the Panthers after serving the prior five seasons (1995-99) at Iowa State, where he was the secondary coach his last four years after coaching the inside linebackers in 1995. Rhoads also assisted with the Cyclones' special teams.

Prior to Iowa State, Rhoads spent three years at Pacific (1992-94), serving as the defensive backs coach and, in his final season, coordinator of the Tigers' pass defense. In 1993, Pacific ranked 20th nationally, allowing just 152 yards passing per game. Rhoads began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Ohio State (1991) and Utah State (1989-90), working with the secondary at both schools.

A 1989 graduate of Missouri Western with a bachelor's degree in economics, Rhoads was a three-year football letterman and the recipient of the Chris Faros Scholarship, honoring the program's top senior student-athlete. He later earned his master's degree from Utah State in 1991.

A native of Ankeny, Iowa, Rhoads was a prep special mention all-state free safety and valedictorian of his high school class.

Personal Information

Born: 2/2/67

Hometown: Ankeny, Iowa

Alma Mater: Missouri Western, `89

Family: Rhoads and his wife Vickie have two sons, Jacob (12) and Wyatt (10).

Coaching Experience

College:

Utah State, 1989-90, graduate assistant.

Ohio State, 1991, graduate assistant.

Pacific, 1992-94, defensive backs; 1994, defensive pass coordinator.

Iowa State, 1995, inside linebackers; 1996-99, secondary.

Pittsburgh, 2000-present, defensive coordinator; 2000-06, secondary; 2007, linebackers.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:36:39 PM by jumbo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Re: Auburn's New DC
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
if jox reports it then I will wait on further info, jox barely acknowleges us, how the fuck could they have any inside info?  jox :sex: us every time they can.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Peace, Love and God Bless Auburn!

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
I think Rhoads would be a hell of a hire!

As I'm sure most of you know, Rhoads was the initial DC hire the year we hired Chizik.  He was even introduced to some of our recruits as our new DC.  Then he went back to Pitt and changed his mind.  I figured he burned his bridge with Tubs during that ordeal, but if this comes to fruition they have apparently let bygones be bygones.  

War Damn Paul Rhoads!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
I find it hard to believe that they have waited this long to hire a guy who coached his last game in early December.  Not buying it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Ogre

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »
I find it hard to believe that they have waited this long to hire a guy who coached his last game in early December.  Not buying it.

Maybe Tubs got turned down by some NFL guys he interviewed.  Could be that Rhoads isn't our first choice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »
What exactly are they reporting?  That he is going to focus on the linebackers this year?  Nothing in the article saying that he was going anywhere. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »
Bryan Matthews on Rivals.com says he spoke with Rhoads at 1:15 this afternoon, and Rhoads said it wasn't him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »
Bryan Matthews on Rivals.com says he spoke with Rhoads at 1:15 this afternoon, and Rhoads said it wasn't him.
Where is Dave when we need him most?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
Fuck it. I'll take the job. I'm turning in my 2 week notice to the Japs this evening.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »
I can't handle this emotional push and pull!
Who the fuck is our DC!?!?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »
According to Phillip Marshall...

Tuberville says no decision has been made on next defensive coordinator
Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times January 16, 2008 2:14 PM
Categories: Football
Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville told The Huntsville Times today that he has has made no decision on who he will hire as defensive coordinator. He said he expects to make a decision soon.

"I've narrowed it down to the top choices," Tuberville said. "I'm doing some second interviews. I hope to have it done in a few days."

Tuberville would not say who the finalists are, but he said he'd been "very impressed" with the number and quality of coaches interested in the job. He said no one has turned the job down.

Asked about reports that Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads is the leading candidate, Tuberville said he would not comment on any specific names.

Tuberville began his search for a defensive coordinator when Will Muschamp resigned on Jan. 4 to take a similar position at Texas. Tuberville has been on the road recruiting for most of this week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
According to Phillip Marshall...

Sounds like CTT told Jacobs to stay the hell out of his business this time around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
From what I've heard is that some of the Pitt Alum have been wanting him to be fired for the last Four Years... Guys, that ain't a Good Thing.  They've said that if the team has a bad game win/lose he'll be nowhere around, and if he's found and interviewed he won't say anything about how they could've done this or that better.  But, if they have a good game, he'll be the first coach in the Media Room to say how great they prepared all week for this game.  With the way he Hung US (Auburn fans and players) out to dry the last time, I'm suprised his name has actually come up. 

Also, the Panther Nation, has said that he is a Horrible Recruiter...Fuck, look at who he has, so far commitment wise, a God Damn Kicker......that's it!!  A Single player and he's a Kicker.  Some of the Pitt Alum often wonder if he isn't recruiting for Penn State, on the low low.

This Is Not A Good Hire, IMO......Especially for all the God Damn Waiting that I've had to Endure as well as the rest of us.  Did we get turned down by ALL of the other coaches?!?!?!?!?!?!?  I'm hoping the Turds on Jox are full of "it".......and by it, I mean wincrimsonbammergradrunswithscissors.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »
From what I've heard is that some of the Pitt Alum have been wanting him to be fired for the last Four Years... Guys, that ain't a Good Thing.  They've said that if the team has a bad game win/lose he'll be nowhere around, and if he's found and interviewed he won't say anything about how they could've done this or that better.  But, if they have a good game, he'll be the first coach in the Media Room to say how great they prepared all week for this game.  With the way he Hung US (Auburn fans and players) out to dry the last time, I'm suprised his name has actually come up. 

Also, the Panther Nation, has said that he is a Horrible Recruiter...Fuck, look at who he has, so far commitment wise, a God Damn Kicker......that's it!!  A Single player and he's a Kicker.  Some of the Pitt Alum often wonder if he isn't recruiting for Penn State, on the low low.

This Is Not A Good Hire, IMO......Especially for all the God Damn Waiting that I've had to Endure as well as the rest of us.  Did we get turned down by ALL of the other coaches?!?!?!?!?!?!?  I'm hoping the Turds on Jox are full of "it".......and by it, I mean wincrimsonbammergradrunswithscissors.

I don't think today will be a good day for you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions