• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
ESPN: SEC Surpises
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/3553/a-few-sec-surprises-yea-and-nay

A few SEC surprises, yea and nay

September 23, 2009 11:01 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

I routinely get asked what’s surprised me or who’s surprised me. Well, a quarter of the way through the SEC season, here goes:

Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy: I knew he was smart and knew he had all the intangibles. I didn’t know he would throw the football this confidently and this well after not playing any meaningful snaps his first three seasons on campus.

South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia: The Head Ball Coach wasn’t heaping praise on Garcia back in August, so I was unsure. Looks like to me, though, that he’s growing up and becoming the quarterback South Carolina fans hoped he would be.

Auburn quarterback Chris Todd: In keeping with the quarterback theme, Todd looks like a different player now that his shoulder is healthy. He has six touchdown passes and one interception through his first three games.

Tennessee running back Montario Hardesty: He’s never been able to stay healthy throughout his career, but I’m not sure I’ve seen anybody in the league run harder or with more purpose than Hardesty through these first three weeks.

Alabama receiver Julio Jones: He’s been slowed by a bruised kneecap, but there’s no way I expected Jones to have just five catches for 55 yards and no touchdowns through three games. Something tells me he’s ready to break out.

Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn: Did anybody see the Tigers being this effective this early with the new offense? I’d say it’s about time that Malzahn got his due as one of the best offensive minds in college football.

Georgia’s defense: The Bulldogs’ best defensive performance came in their only loss, the 24-10 setback to Oklahoma State to open the season. In their last two games, they’ve given up 78 points and 912 yards of total offense. It’s hard to call that improved.

Florida’s receivers: There’s still time, but that group as a whole has looked pretty pedestrian without Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy. The Gators need Deonte Thompson to come on and be more of a consistent threat.

LSU’s running game: No way did I expect the Tigers to be 10th in the league in rushing offense at this point. They just haven’t gotten it going on the ground like we’re accustomed to under Les Miles and haven’t been a lot better in the passing game. I’m sure the two go together.

Kentucky receiver Randall Cobb: I know what kind of athlete the guy is, so I shouldn’t be surprised by anything he does. But the former quarterback looks like he’s been playing receiver his entire life and saved the Wildcats in their 31-27 win over Louisville last week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Re: ESPN: SEC Surpises
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/3553/a-few-sec-surprises-yea-and-nay

Fuck McElroy.  He has looked good against two shitty teams.  How'd he look against a good defense?  Average at best.  Now bama fans are ready to rename the Heisman after him.  Every year it's the same thing, take the first bama player that does anything halfass noteworthy, and start slobing their knob like there is no tomorrow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:34:45 PM »
Fuck McElroy.  He has looked good against two shitty teams.  How'd he look against a good defense?  Average at best.  Now bama fans are ready to rename the Heisman after him.  Every year it's the same thing, take the first bama player that does anything halfass noteworthy, and start slobing their knob like there is no tomorrow.

Agreed. 

But time will tell.  If he can't look like a superstar against that Arkansas defense, then we'll know.  We'll know he's a mommy partstain. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »
Not ready to name the Heisman after him or anything, but I think we got an upgrade from JPW. I've been saying that all summer as well, as have alot of folks close to the program, etc. Is he Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, etc? No, not at all. But for what we're doing, he works out just fine. For the most part, everybody said he was a huge question mark and may hinder any success this season. Thats fine that you want to point out that he looked average at best against VT. I can't really argue with you one way or another there, because thats basically McElroy in a nutshell. But I would like to point out that he did a great job in the second half, and I'm not going to fault him for having a few jitters in his first college start against a top 10 team. In the second half, I believe he was 12/15. So, I'm not going to really fault him there. At this point, I don't think we're any worse off than we were with JPW, really.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
Not ready to name the Heisman after him or anything, but I think we got an upgrade from JPW. I've been saying that all summer as well, as have alot of folks close to the program, etc. Is he Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, etc? No, not at all. But for what we're doing, he works out just fine. For the most part, everybody said he was a huge question mark and may hinder any success this season. Thats fine that you want to point out that he looked average at best against VT. I can't really argue with you one way or another there, because thats basically McElroy in a nutshell. But I would like to point out that he did a great job in the second half, and I'm not going to fault him for having a few jitters in his first college start against a top 10 team. In the second half, I believe he was 12/15. So, I'm not going to really fault him there. At this point, I don't think we're any worse off than we were with JPW, really.

I agree with him being an upgrade from JPW. If nothing else, McElroy manages the game well. With Bama's D and RB's, asking McElroy to NOT lose the game is enough in his first year starting. And I think he's done just that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:04:33 PM »

Upgrade my ass.  Nobody will have a better looking haircut then JPW.

> 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »

> 
McElroy doesn't have a soul.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

boartitz

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »
Agreed. 

But time will tell.  If he can't look like a superstar against that Arkansas defense, then we'll know.  We'll know he's a mommy partstain. 
Watch our games for the SEC Offensive Player of the Week. It'll either be one of our guys or one of the opponents guys damn near every week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »
McElroy doesn't have a soul.

Fucking ginger kids.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »

> 

next?????
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 04:35:03 PM »
I actually think LSU/MSU could be a pretty entertaining game.  If LSU is having problems in the running game, they could get well this weekend.  If they don't, this may be tight all the way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
   next?????
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If I hear an announcer say, "Man, that Greg McElroy has ice running through his veins...I think it has something to do with him not having a soul", I would cry laughing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »

[/size] 
bama bangs???...wtf McElmo doesn't fit the profile.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum