Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

More Malzahn madness...

jadennis

Re: More Malzahn madness...
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »
In two years at Tulsa-
2007 losses:
Oklahoma 62-21
UTEP 48-47  (the defense lost this game....UTEP did score 40+ 5 times in 07)
UCF 44-23  (that UCF team went 10-4 and lost to TEXAS 35-32....they were pretty darn good).
UCF 44-25  (ditto)

2008 losses:
Arkansas 30-23
Houston 70-30  (again, the defense didn't help by giving up 641 yds and 70 pts. Tulsa also had 5 turnovers).
ECU 27-24  (was a very up and down ECU team that was very capable of beating anyone...beat Va Tech and WVU early).

It doesn't matter who you are, you're going to have off games and you're going to get slowed down occassionally.  Look at Florida in the BCS title game last year.  They had averaged 51 points in the 8 games leading up to the title game, scoring less than 40 only once.  Yet they were held to 24 points by a not-so-special OU defense.

The thing to remember are the averages for the year.  Sure, there were a handful of teams that slowed them down (or against they failed to execute, or against who they had 5 turnovers, etc).  But when you average what Tulsa averaged, you were very successful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
In two years at Tulsa-
2007 losses:
Oklahoma 62-21
UTEP 48-47  (the defense lost this game....UTEP did score 40+ 5 times in 07)
UCF 44-23  (that UCF team went 10-4 and lost to TEXAS 35-32....they were pretty darn good).
UCF 44-25  (ditto)

2008 losses:
Arkansas 30-23
Houston 70-30  (again, the defense didn't help by giving up 641 yds and 70 pts. Tulsa also had 5 turnovers).
ECU 27-24  (was a very up and down ECU team that was very capable of beating anyone...beat Va Tech and WVU early).

It doesn't matter who you are, you're going to have off games and you're going to get slowed down occassionally.  Look at Florida in the BCS title game last year.  They had averaged 51 points in the 8 games leading up to the title game, scoring less than 40 only once.  Yet they were held to 24 points by a not-so-special OU defense.

The thing to remember are the averages for the year.  Sure, there were a handful of teams that slowed them down (or against they failed to execute, or against who they had 5 turnovers, etc).  But when you average what Tulsa averaged, you were very successful.

I just really hope our defense steps it up a little.  They are good, but I do not know if they can win games  for us like they have in the  past if we  need it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's only when we've lost everything that we are free to do anything.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
I would imagine Houston, East Carolina, certainly UTEP and UCF has talent that is pretty much on-par with Tulsa, wouldn't you think?

Christ, don't tell the West Virginia people.  They think beating East Carolina is the equivalent of knocking off a combined squad of Florida and Texas players. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »
Is there a reason why a Bammer is in this thread trying to skew Malzahn's performance history to look unimpressive? 

Malzahn has turned Auburn (remember how much laughter has been had in the past year concerning our offense) into an offense that puts up 500+ yards of offense.  We supposedly have no talent, remember?  No depth.  No QB.  No real running back.  No good offensive line.  No receivers worth a shit.  Remember all that?  Remember the naysayers predicting La Tech to win?  Remember the naysayers (cough Tuberville cough) saying Malzahn won't work in the SEC?  Remember the people who tried to claim that Malzahn wasn't responsible for the 2006 season at Arkansas? 

Remember all that shit that people spewed out that was wrong? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »
BTW, MSU ran the 3-3-5 some last Saturday.  So, Coach Malzahn now has a good idea how destroy it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
BTW, MSU ran the 3-3-5 some last Saturday.  So, Coach Malzahn now has a good idea how destroy it.
They probably could have ran a 5-5-7 and AU would have torched them. Unless Mullen gets a shitload of talent in, and quick like, his ass is gone in a few years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »
Nick Sabin is gonna run off all teh coarches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
I would imagine Houston, East Carolina, certainly UTEP and UCF has talent that is pretty much on-par with Tulsa, wouldn't you think?

Houston's talent level and QB Case Keenum took out OK State last week IN Stillwater (something UGA failed to do) and UCF had RB Kevin Smith who averaged 183 ypg (best in the nation).  TU faced some great players in CUSA who walked all over their defense.

In 2007, Gus had the #1 total offense, but TU ranked 108th in total defense.  In 2008, Gus had the #1 total offense, but TU ranked 74th in total defense.  Not even B12 offenses can count on winning a shootout every game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
Houston's talent level and QB Case Keenum took out OK State last week IN Stillwater (something UGA failed to do) and UCF had RB Kevin Smith who averaged 183 ypg (best in the nation).  TU faced some great players in CUSA who walked all over their defense.

In 2007, Gus had the #1 total offense, but TU ranked 108th in total defense.  In 2008, Gus had the #1 total offense, but TU ranked 74th in total defense.  Not even B12 offenses can count on winning a shootout every game.

That, folks, is how you jump in with a first post.

Nice one, Stormin' Norman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

boartitz

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »
That, folks, is how you jump in with a first post.

Nice one, Stormin' Norman.
The General knows sports. He's hard to argue with. :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
Houston's talent level and QB Case Keenum took out OK State last week IN Stillwater (something UGA failed to do) and UCF had RB Kevin Smith who averaged 183 ypg (best in the nation).  TU faced some great players in CUSA who walked all over their defense.

In 2007, Gus had the #1 total offense, but TU ranked 108th in total defense.  In 2008, Gus had the #1 total offense, but TU ranked 74th in total defense.  Not even B12 offenses can count on winning a shootout every game.

Great points. Smith is who gave Texas fits in that 38-35 UT win going for 149 yards.

Although there is no excuse for being 108th in total defense, it is one thing we at Auburn are going to have to get used to.  Because of our pace and the disregard for time of possession, we are most likely going to see some higher defensive numbers than we have been used to.  

We used to win games 24 to 13.  I don't think we're going to start winning them 42 to 13.  I think our defensive performance will need to be judged somewhat on margin.  We may win 42 to 23 and that may mean our defense did reasonably well on a "yards per carry" and "yards per pass".  However, if the opposing offense spends a little more time on the field, they are likely, on average throughout a year, going to score a few more points.

I don't think it will be drastic, but it will have an effect.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:14:26 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »

Coach Malzahn is that you!?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »
Damn it! Why is not freakin Sat yet. The proof is in the pudding as Granny alway sais,

Dammit. You leave him out of this.

Lou Holth ith a penith!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »
Coach Malzahn is that you!?

Nope.  I'm his imaginary son. :sarcasm: 

I'm just here to check up on boartitz.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:36:42 PM by GenNormanSwinekopf »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions