Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I Don't Know About This

boartitz

I Don't Know About This
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:57:30 PM »
 http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/09/15/starting-11-buckeyes-1-flag-from-bills/

6. Auburn's Gus Malzahn will be a head coach somewhere next year.

Remember when Gus Malzahn arrived at Arkansas fresh out of Springdale High School and Houston Nutt usurped the play-calling duties? Malzahn huffed and puffed a bit and said something like, "High school football isn't much different than college football, there's only a few things a defense can do." And everyone sort of laughed and then he went off to Tulsa and vanished.

Sure, you knew he was putting up big numbers, but you didn't pay much attention because he was at Tulsa.

Now he's back at Auburn and he's got Chris Todd (Chris Todd!) helming an offense putting up over 550 yards per game.

I'll say it right now, if you're a college program in America in need of an immediate upgrade, Malzahn should be your guy. And here's the kicker, he's only 43 years old. Some lucky program is going to get him as their coach next and the sky is going to be the absolute limit.

I think yall get him for 2-3 years at least.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: I Don't Know About This
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:03:59 AM »
I had this very discussion Sunday with a fellow Auburn fan.  We agreed that IF...IF our O continues to put decent numbers (Nobody realistically expects every game all season) all year...teams will be coming after CGM in droves.

My thing is...IF..again, big IF he does keep this offense clicking all year, even with Chris Toad at the helm, we pay this man some serious money and lock him up at least for a little while.  Look, the Jimbo Fishers (Over rated..clap..clap..clap, clap, clap)and Will Monkchumps of the world are making bwazillions as "Head Corches in Waiting".  If Malzhan proves himself this year, we'd better make it so. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:26:22 AM »
We better hire a guy to follow him around and learn everything he knows. That way, we can just change the name on the door.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
Maybe we should just slap the Head Corch in waiting title on him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:00:02 AM »
Maybe we should just slap the Head Corch in waiting title on him.

The only problem is...he is only a couple of years younger than Chizik. I don't think that would set in too well with the staff as a whole...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
We better hire a guy to follow him around and learn everything he knows. That way, we can just change the name on the door.

This has been tried before. 

Steve Ensminger thinks you're funny.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jadennis

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
I assumed this when we hired him.  The only hope of keeping him longer than a couple years (again, assuming success follows), is if he simply doesn't want to be a head coach, or at least not until he's a bit older. 

It isn't the norm, but there have been coordinators who have been happy as such for quite a few years (Mickey Andrews is entering his 8th year as DC at FSU, Richt was at FSU for 11 years, Bud Foster is entering his 15th as DC at Va Tech, Tom Bradley has been DC at Penn State for nearly 30 years, Greg Davis is in his 12th year as OC at Texas, Cutcliffe was OC at Tennessee 6 years before going to Ole Miss).

So maybe he'll stick around.  But not likely.  It's too hard to turn $2 million+.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »
Not that this means anything but he actually has a 3 year contract (most of our assistants have 2 or 3 yr), which is very unusual most assistants have a one year contract.  He also makes big money for an assistant, Chizik was actually very adamant about paying his assistants well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
When was the last time we were really worried about one of our assistants being stolen for a head coaching gig?

Chizik left to be a DC
Muschamp left to be a DC

After that I don't remember any
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
Not that this means anything but he actually has a 3 year contract (most of our assistants have 2 or 3 yr), which is very unusual most assistants have a one year contract.  He also makes big money for an assistant, Chizik was actually very adamant about paying his assistants well.

I thought most assistants were typically on a two year.

I know our entire current staff is on two year deals, with the coordinators on 3 year deals.
And Malzahn is paid well, but about average these days for his position.  Monte Kiffin is the king of coordinators, making $1 million, with Muschamp right behind him at $900,00.  Even Orgeron makes $600,000.

* Defensive coordinator Ted Roof: $370,000, 3 years

* Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn: $350,000, 3 years

* Wide receiver coach/assistant head coach Trooper Taylor $320,000, 2 years

* Defensive line coach Tracy Rocker: $300,000, 2 years

* Offensive line coach Jeff Grimes: $290,000, 2 years

* Running backs coach Curtis LuperL: $260,000, 2 years

* Safeties coach Tommy Thigpen: $250,000, 2 years

* Cornerbacks coach Phillip Lolley, $210,000, 2 years

* Tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jay Boulware: $210,000, 2 years
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:56:17 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

boartitz

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 04:55:59 PM »
Gus and the family like things at Auburn so far.
That's a plus for yall.
Eventually he'll want his own gig where he has the final say on all things. He has been in coaching his whole career. That's what he does. He's been a head coach for a while in HS until he hit the college ranks.
He's going the good route. Doing his job wherever he is. I don't think anyone anywhere can complain about what he has done while in their program. Gus is good people. Be glad yall have him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
When was the last time we were really worried about one of our assistants being stolen for a head coaching gig?

Chizik left to be a DC
Muschamp left to be a DC

After that I don't remember any

Petrino
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
I think I saw somewhere where Malzahn has a $500K buyout on his contract as well.  Not sure if that's correct or not. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 05:28:03 PM »
I have been trying in recent days to make something of this topic but most responses indicate that it is only natural for a coordinator to aspire to be a head coach. But Malzahn seems more along the lines of Homer Smith or Al Borges.
How much available prime land surrounds Auburn and is Malzahn interested in vineyards or orchards?  What are his interests besides drawing up plays and drinking coffee?  Can he be a straight man for Barbara Dooley should the gig reappear? Will he eat breakfast where Pat Dye frequents?  And how big of a Cowboy fan can the guy be?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:35:35 PM »
Petrino

Hard to remember when it has only been one in the last 20 years or so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »
I have been trying in recent days to make something of this topic but most responses indicate that it is only natural for a coordinator to aspire to be a head coach. But Malzahn seems more along the lines of Homer Smith or Al Borges.
How much available prime land surrounds Auburn and is Malzahn interested in vineyards or orchards?  What are his interests besides drawing up plays and drinking coffee?  Can he be a straight man for Barbara Dooley should the gig reappear? Will he eat breakfast where Pat Dye frequents?  And how big of a Cowboy fan can the guy be?

Gus has been a HC, albeit in the High School ranks. A successful one, too. I think he would aspire to be a head coach in the college ranks one of these days.
Is second fiddle all that you aim to be?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
Gus and the family like things at Auburn so far.
That's a plus for yall.
Eventually he'll want his own gig where he has the final say on all things. He has been in coaching his whole career. That's what he does. He's been a head coach for a while in HS until he hit the college ranks.
He's going the good route. Doing his job wherever he is. I don't think anyone anywhere can complain about what he has done while in their program. Gus is good people. Be glad yall have him.
Is he a duck hunter?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
Is he a duck hunter?

No but he makes a mean BBQ
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
Is he a duck hunter?
He may like that. It's in our blood.
I don't know of him hunting with Jerry Jones yet. I will let yall know if I hear anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 07:50:05 PM »
He may like that. It's in our blood.
I don't know of him hunting with Jerry Jones yet. I will let yall know if I hear anything.
Please do, as this is the surest sign that our team is about get flushed down the shitter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."