Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Michael Thornton

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Michael Thornton
« on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
http://auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2009/9/11/four-star-lineman-holds-auburn-high-on-list

Four-star lineman has Auburn high on list

By Matt Nascone, Staff Writer
Posted Sep 11, 2009
Copyright © 2009 AuburnUndercover.com

Michael Thornton keeps Auburn high on his list

Auburn and Georgia are running neck-and-neck as leaders in the race to land four-star defensive tackle Michael Thornton.
Both schools have made Thornton, a 6-foot-1 and 273 pounds from Stone Mountain, Ga./Stephenson, a high priority, according to Stephenson coach Ron Gartrell.

“Georgia has rolled out the red carpet for him and Auburn has rolled out the red carpet for him,” Gartrell said. “He really likes what Coach (Mark) Richt has to offer and he likes what he hears from the coaches at Auburn.”

Gartrell said Thornton has not yet labeled one school as his favorite. He still wants to visit South Carolina.

Gartrell says he makes sure his players get all the information they need on the recruiting process, and he believes there is one way to feel comfortable about a commitment.

“Deciding on a school and making that final decision is comparable to a final exam,” Gartrell said. “You have to do your homework, study hard and make a decision. The decision is easier if you are not looking into the schools who are interested in you at the last minute. I try to stress that to my players.”

Gartrell says Thornton has listened to his advice and is taking his time.

“He told me he was not going to make a decision this summer,” Gartrell said. “He said he would make it during the season or maybe after the season. I haven't bothered him with that stuff, especially now that the season has started.”

Gartrell says he is confident Thornton will make the right choice for himself.

“He is a very mature kid, maybe even one of the most mature we have ever had here,” Gartrell said. “He has handled all this real well. We here at the school have helped him get everything in line. He is who he is, and he will make the right choice that fits him.”

Gartrell says whichever school gets Thornton will get an athlete who cares about more than football.

“When you look at him, you can tell he has all the tools to succeed on the football field,” Gartrell said. “But when you meet him, you find out that he has a warm and sincere personality. He has a genuine concern for this team and for his teammates. That is just amazing to have in such a talented athlete.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Michael Thornton
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »
According to some things I have read at rivals, there has been some negative recruiting against us concerning Thornton.  Apparently his coach also believes this but neither he nor the kid are saying who.  It is believed to be UGA.  Now, I don't know if I believe it or not. Even if it was reported by one of the Mod's, but it would be nice if we could snag this kid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
I've heard the same things, in regards to someone doing some Negative recruiting against Auburn.  Apparently he was given or told some information about Auburn.  He has since contacted Auburn about what he was told and Auburn quickly corrected whatever the negative information was.  Now it seems that whoever told him the negative things that they've backfired and Thornton's bond with Auburn has grown stronger.  One can assume that it was either someone from South Carolina or Georgia, but I definitely wouldn't put it past another school, on the outside of his Top 3 or Top 5, that wouldn't want Thornton to be in the Orange and Blue for the next 4 or 5 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:45:06 AM »
I've heard the same things, in regards to someone doing some Negative recruiting against Auburn.  Apparently he was given or told some information about Auburn.  He has since contacted Auburn about what he was told and Auburn quickly corrected whatever the negative information was.  Now it seems that whoever told him the negative things that they've backfired and Thornton's bond with Auburn has grown stronger.  One can assume that it was either someone from South Carolina or Georgia, but I definitely wouldn't put it past another school, on the outside of his Top 3 or Top 5, that wouldn't want Thornton to be in the Orange and Blue for the next 4 or 5 years.

C'mon man, don't leave us hanging.  Whoever do you think would resort to such tactics?  Ole Miss?  Miss. St.?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:08:53 AM »
C'mon man, don't leave us hanging.  Whoever do you think would resort to such tactics?  Ole Miss?  Miss. St.?

I wouldn't put much stock into, but for imagination sake, the grumblings at Scout and Rivals are Coach Rodney Garner at UGA or Lord Visor at South Carolina.  I can belive that their is negative recruiting going on anywhere, but I just don't know if I believe it to be one of these two or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:27:30 PM »
I wouldn't put much stock into, but for imagination sake, the grumblings at Scout and Rivals are Coach Rodney Garner at UGA or Lord Visor at South Carolina.  I can belive that their is negative recruiting going on anywhere, but I just don't know if I believe it to be one of these two or not.

Please tell me they didn't bring out the fraternity pictures again. 

The mom of a kid who verballed to us got several thousand faxed to her work about ten years ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
I don't think it was UGA OR South Carolina....think a little further west.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
I don't think it was UGA OR South Carolina....think a little further west.
Vanderbilt?

I keeeeed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."