Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What Does Colonial Bank's Closing Mean For Auburn?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
What Does Colonial Bank's Closing Mean For Auburn?
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »
http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/a-financial-crisis-bailout-for-auburn-football
I even included the hyperlinks for your web-navigating pleasure.

A financial crisis bailout for Auburn football?
Tuesday, 18 August 2009 , by : Chris

Auburn might be getting its own reality show, but it has much bigger problems. Colonial Bank, of which Bobby Lowder, Auburn trustee and booster, was CEO, has failed, was taken over by the FDIC, and now is being sold by the FDIC to BB&T Bank. Lowder was no ordinary booster: He was the “most powerful booster” in America, and had effectively hired and fired every Auburn football coach (and University president!) since 1983. (As one minor example, Lowder used to use his private jet for recruiting trips.)
Bobby Lowder, Auburn booster

Bobby Lowder, Auburn booster

Indeed, all this was significant enough for the Wall Street Journal to ask the fairly difficult (and fairly silly) question: What Does Colonial Bank’s Failure Mean for Auburn Football? One answer, at least, appears to be a diminished role for Lowder, both in terms of hands-on involvement (probably good) and money (less so):

Lowder founded Colonial in 1981, building it up through 68 acquisitions in five states. For years, Colonial had a coveted franchise, one that attracted suitors, but Lowder repeatedly rebuffed overtures, pushing Colonial to keep growing. In 1983, Gov. George Wallace appointed Lowder to Auburn’s Board of Trustees. In that position, Lowder took particular interest in his alma mater’s football team. He used Colonial’s corporate jet to recruit for the Auburn’s football team, and he was behind the hiring and firing of every Auburn football coach, according to ESPN.

In fact, from those two posts, he was arguably the most powerful person in Alabama, ESPN writes.

That is no longer the case. Lowder was forced out of Colonial last month, and his rule at Auburn seems diminished. Writes Paul Davis of the Opelika-Auburn News:

“It is over. Bobby Lowder’s Colonial Bank is dead, along with his powerful control over Auburn University. That’s terrible news for the thousands of Colonial Bank employees but wonderful news for Auburn University.

“He had personally selected a majority of the board and almost brought the University down before he drove his bank out of business. The high-handed tactics at Auburn brought probation from the Southern Association of College and Schools for his micro-management of the University, for his shutting down academic programs and for stepping out of bounds in hiring and firing Auburn coaches.”

The WSJ even includes a cheeky chart showing Colonial bank’s assets as compared with Auburn’s record. Surprisingly there is a correlation, particularly in 1993 and 1994, when the Tigers finished 4th and 9th, respectively. (Though the numbers are odd, since Colonial’s assets exploded but then shrank rapidly, and didn’t really recover until the housing boom, and we know how that worked out.)

So what do you think? Is Colonial’s bad business bad for the taxpayer, but good for Auburn football? Did we collectively wrest control of the football program away from Lowder by helping shove him out?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: What Does Colonial Bank's Closing Mean For Auburn?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »
http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/a-financial-crisis-bailout-for-auburn-football
I even included the hyperlinks for your web-navigating pleasure.

Paul Davis can suck my red asshole.  Fuck that bitch. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
Players that open bank accounts elsewhere now won't have as much "seed money" in them?

I keed, I keed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 11:51:50 AM »
Players that open bank accounts elsewhere now won't have as much "seed money" in them?

I keed, I keed.

Better check your backdoor.  Bryant bank has a few secrets that big titty offensive linemen should keep to themselves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »
What does it mean for me?

:wave:

Karma is a BITCH.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
What does it mean for me?

:wave:

Karma is a BITCH.

Yes.  Colonial bank thrice in da mouf!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Birmingham

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
mo money, mo problems.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
It doesn't matter. It's Chizik's fault.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 04:10:53 PM »
http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2009/08/bbt_replaces_colonial_as_aubur.html

BB&T replaces Colonial as Auburn sponsor
Posted by Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News August 27, 2009 12:50 PM
Categories: Football
BB&T Corporation, which snapped up Montgomery-based Colonial Bank in recent weeks, is now replacing Colonial as one of the corporate sponsors in Auburn athletic venues.

BB&T announced Thursday it will be one of the featured sponsors at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum and Plainsman Park. In each case, BB&T is replacing Colonial. You'll see the new signs in those sports venues, as well as popping up on Colonial Banks.

A PR release says this is BB&T's first sports marketing venue in Alabama.

This isn't BB&T's first venture in athletics, however. Wake Forest's football stadium was renamed BB&T Field in 2007. The bank has other sports ventures as well.

Colonial, of course, was headed by Bobby Lowder, an Auburn trustee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »
Colonial, of course, WAS headed by Bobby Lowder, an Auburn trustee.

Past tense - I freaking LOVE IT.  Bastard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
Past tense - I freaking LOVE IT.  Bastard.
It's Chizik's fault...oh wait...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »
So will it now be the new BB&T basketball arena?  There's no way in hell that they would try to rename Jordan Hare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:10:31 PM »
So will it now be the new BB&T basketball arena?  There's no way in hell that they would try to rename Jordan Hare.
It's not gonna have anything to do with names. Just everywhere you saw a Colonial Bank logo you're going to see a BB&T logo instead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions