Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Looks like we have named our starting WR's

Ogre

Looks like we have named our starting WR's
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:45:38 AM »
Zachery, Adams, Benton making a move on Auburn's wide receiver depth chart
Posted by Charles Goldberg -- Birmingham News August 23, 2009 8:20 PM

Auburn receivers coach Trooper Taylor is close to locking down his top six receivers. From a Sunday conversation, it sounds as if Terrell Zachery, Darvin Adams and freshman DeAngelo Benton will be the three classic wide receivers if Auburn was playing today. Tommy Trott will be the tight end when the Tigers need one.
Taylor said, Zachery and Adams have ``basically locked their position up.''

Benton was one of the most coveted additions on signing day and has shown why in practice.

The wildcard: former quarterback Kodi Burns. Another likely new receiver who will play is freshman Emory Blake. Another question is the availability of veteran Montez Billings, who hasn't been cleared by coach Gene Chizik. Billiings didn't practice in the spring.

``With Kodi moving into the wide receiver room, that has opened up some doors and closed the slot for somebody else,'' Taylor said. ``He's going to be out there. He's proved that he can make some plays.

``For me, it's like having another coach in the room. He understands this offense. He knows where the receivers are supposed to be. He has brought a lot to that room. The confidence he bring to that room was really shocking to me. He has that presence about him. It makes a difference.''

Taylor added, ``we've got some guys who are still a little on the bubble. Philip (Pierre-Louis) just came back. He's trying to earn his way back in there. It's tough sledding because those young guys have made such a big impression.

``Travante (Stallworth) has bounced back after his scrimmage. It's going to be a tough deal. It may come down to the coordinator of the head coach's decision about which ones we redshirt and which one we play.''

He said receivers heading for a redshirt season may include freshmen and veterans.

``It's between a lot of guys -- the older guys, too,'' Taylor said.

**Zachery has been slowed by tendinitis in an Achilles, but says he'll return to practice Tuesday. Zachery said he suffered the injury over the summer.

``It's good now,'' he said.

**Chizik hasn't changed decline to comment on the status of running back Eric Smith, who will surrender to the police Monday on a third-degree assault charge, according to the Opelika-Auburn News. Chizik didn't elaborate on the football punishment facing Smith, but the running back hasn't practiced since an early Friday incident when Smith was charged with disorderly conduct in a hotel parking lot near campus. He's missed three straight practices.

``As I've said the other day, I'm not going into the details of Eric Smith's situation,'' Chizik said.

Chizik said Friday that Smith must do a lot before he wears an Auburn uniform again.

**Chizik said the Tigers fixed a few things Sunday from Saturday's scrimmage. The ``situational'' scrimmage didn't provide many individual highlights, he said.

``It really wasn't individual things that stood out. It was just trying to get the team together on the same page with situations and execution and things of that nature,'' he said. ``It wasn't one of those days where somebody stands out. There weren't that type of opportunities.''

Chizik said he expects to have another situational scrimmage this week.

``But you've got to find a fine line,'' he said. ``You can't spend all your time doing that and not practicing the X's and O's parts of football. We do need another one of those. This week would be a good week.''
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Looks like we have named our starting WR's
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »
If Saturday is any indication, Kodi will be in the mix.  He had a lot of touches in the scrimmage and they do just what you think they would...a lot of quick hitters to get him in the open field.  He didn't go down field much.  They did line him up in the Wildcat once or twice.  I didn't like it.  Reminded me of 80% of our plays from scrimmage last year.  Bad memories. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
  Reminded me of 80% of our plays from scrimmage last year.  Bad memories.   

We looked like a colony of mearcats?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »
Is Benton just that damn good, or are the WR corps just that bad? He didn't even play ball in the '08 season. If he's still just that good, thats one bad motherfucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »
Is Benton just that damn good, or are the WR corps just that bad? He didn't even play ball in the '08 season. If he's still just that good, thats one bad motherfucker.

The ones who were they would have to answer but I would guess a bit of both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
Is Benton just that damn good, or are the WR corps just that bad? He didn't even play ball in the '08 season. If he's still just that good, thats one bad mothereffer.

He hasn't done a drive shooting by or rolled a creepy old man around on a boat, but we're still hoping. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »
Hard to tell if he's just that good from a very controlled scrimmage.  He's a big, athletic guy and caught the ball pretty well.  He was the best WR out there in my opinion but then, two of the projected starters did not play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »
Hell, I would be an improvement over last year and I'm short, fat, slow, and white.

Still won't matter if we can't find someone to throw the ball to them when they are open.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »
Hard to tell if he's just that good from a very controlled scrimmage.  He's a big, athletic guy and caught the ball pretty well.  He was the best WR out there in my opinion but then, two of the projected starters did not play.
I thought Harry Adams and Kodi caught the ball better just from that scrimmage.  Maybe Benton has done better to date though...who knows?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.